Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lowdesert

Season of the fake

Recommended Posts

Have we ever had a season where fake injuries, cramps, neck rubbing society etc etc etc are so common?  No team seems impervious to the fakers.  No fakers seem bothered who knows their faking either.

Time wasters, ball in the crowd, talking to the Referee for what seems forever, Coaches half time berating of Refs and the never ending ball ripping/arm around the ball/trapping arm issue.

This is just a small list.  I can’t remember a year when these indescretions were so widespread.  What, or who, is causing this glut?  Who are the champion fakers?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Have we ever had a season where fake injuries, cramps, neck rubbing society etc etc etc are so common?  No team seems impervious to the fakers.  No fakers seem bothered who knows their faking either.

Time wasters, ball in the crowd, talking to the Referee for what seems forever, Coaches half time berating of Refs and the never ending ball ripping/arm around the ball/trapping arm issue.

This is just a small list.  I can’t remember a year when these indescretions were so widespread.  What, or who, is causing this glut?  Who are the champion fakers?

 

The rules and the sanitizing of the game are allowing all these indiscretions to take place, the faults and fakers as you describe are so prominent it does not get beyond thoughts that it is being coached into the game.

It does nothing for the spectators only to detract from the entertainment on offer, the whole idea is to send people home from games or viewing on TV wanting more, these actions we are witnessing are lessening the entertainment value, they should give it up before to many people give the game up because of it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the difference over here in France, when we play the Catalans juniors you see the players diving forward at the play the ball, pulling on arms, hitting the floor if the lead runner goes near them, complaining to ref about holding down etc, so it must be filtering down from the pro team/staff, we don't see this with the other teams. but they are head and shoulders above the other teams when it comes to attack speed and tackle technique, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

 Who are the champion fakers?

Saints

  • Haha 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.
 
 
Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, barnyia said:

I see the difference over here in France, when we play the Catalans juniors you see the players diving forward at the play the ball, pulling on arms, hitting the floor if the lead runner goes near them, complaining to ref about holding down etc, so it must be filtering down from the pro team/staff, we don't see this with the other teams. but they are head and shoulders above the other teams when it comes to attack speed and tackle technique, 

As I suggested, I believe it is being coached into the players, using Catalan as an example Mr MacNamara would not want to promote any of his juniors into a situation where they could "not win" free kicks, or have the guile to waste a little time/ feign injury so his team mates can take a rest or relieve pressure at the appropiate time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All super league currently. Filtering down to championship 


'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 9' oller said:

All super league currently. Filtering down to championship 

League 1 as well, and I include York in that. Only team I've not seen fake injuries etc is West Wales Raiders.

Something needs to be done and soon. Either the 'injured' player should go off the pitch for a certain period (maybe 5mins) or the attacking team are given an extra couple of tackles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the master faker

top playmaker

liberty taker

zak Hardaker 


the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The rules and the sanitizing of the game are allowing all these indiscretions to take place, the faults and fakers as you describe are so prominent it does not get beyond thoughts that it is being coached into the game.

It does nothing for the spectators only to detract from the entertainment on offer, the whole idea is to send people home from games or viewing on TV wanting more, these actions we are witnessing are lessening the entertainment value, they should give it up before to many people give the game up because of it. 

Coaches won’t stop it Harry, as long as it brings results.

i agree wholeheartedly with the 2nd para by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, barnyia said:

I see the difference over here in France, when we play the Catalans juniors you see the players diving forward at the play the ball, pulling on arms, hitting the floor if the lead runner goes near them, complaining to ref about holding down etc, so it must be filtering down from the pro team/staff, we don't see this with the other teams. but they are head and shoulders above the other teams when it comes to attack speed and tackle technique, 

Cr+p watching and frustrating as a coach.  We should be better than this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The rules and the sanitizing of the game are allowing all these indiscretions to take place, the faults and fakers as you describe are so prominent it does not get beyond thoughts that it is being coached into the game.

It does nothing for the spectators only to detract from the entertainment on offer, the whole idea is to send people home from games or viewing on TV wanting more, these actions we are witnessing are lessening the entertainment value, they should give it up before to many people give the game up because of it. 

I think the key point you make is the sanitising of the game, that for me above everything else is one of the main reasons that we are seeing a trend towards football style ‘fake’.

  • Like 1

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I think the key point you make is the sanitising of the game, that for me above everything else is one of the main reasons that we are seeing a trend towards football style ‘fake’.

Might be a daft observation, but we aren’t seeing punches these days.  We are seeing cheap, penalty winning shenanigans.  Richardson’s neck rubbing antics earlier this year were a sight I never thought I’d see in RL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coaches and players in stretching the rules and pushing things as far as they can shocker! I agree its not good but its always happened as long as I have followed the game and this is just another evolution of it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Damien said:

Coaches and players in stretching the rules and pushing things as far as they can shocker! I agree its not good but its always happened as long as I have followed the game and this is just another evolution of it.

Damien, I’m certainly not saying this hasn’t happened before.  Hookers kicking the other before striking, 2nd Rows reaching to win the ball in a scrum,  thumb in the collar etc etc were all used, but not to the level we are seeing now.  

Have you seen the level it’s at now, compared to ‘then’?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Might be a daft observation, but we aren’t seeing punches these days.  We are seeing cheap, penalty winning shenanigans.  Richardson’s neck rubbing antics earlier this year were a sight I never thought I’d see in RL.

 

That’s the problem - there is never a risk of getting slotted anymore for being an idiot as it gets you a yellow/red card.  Therefore the shenanigans goes unchecked and increases.

Edited by Odsal Outlaw
  • Like 3

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things surprised me today at Widnes Leeds game,

 The ref matched Widnes back an addition 10 yards when their player was arguing about penalty given Ain't seen that for ages.

2nd was more of a disappointment, Myler wafting his arms at Ref regards the fact Widnes on a team warning giving another penalty away. Yep the ref having given the team warning didn't take action and sin bin but was disappointed in the soccer like wafting of arms (team warning signal) by Myler trying to get someone binned. Said more about Myler's desperation and something I don't want to see in team I support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's probably endemic in the game as a whole. I was at an amateur game yesterday and there was a bit of it going on there. At least it's not like soccer where have a shattered skeleton by tripping over a blade of grass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think, if they haven't done it already, the RFL need to give advice and a mandate to all referees, to cut down on the penalty awarding when players dive about, trap defenders arms trying to make it look like they're holding on, etc.

I think we can stop the neck rubbing overnight if we bring in a rule that any player looking to have sustained a neck injury has to leave the field for assessment.

The other play acting stuff will have to be left to the ref's discretion and I worry about how gullible some of them are.

Sadly, cheating now appears to be an epidemic.

 

  • Like 1

         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All a player needs to do is stay on the floor after a tackle and the ref almost always gives a penalty. Another thing that winds me up is whoever is at hooker passing the ball into an opposition player who is on the floor near the PTB. I thought it had been ruled out but I've still been seeing it. 


Tom Heighton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Referees don’t seem as authoritative as they used to be.   Regarding fake injuries, I’m guessing referees have been told to take things carefully.   The RFL is probably very scared of any potential legal battles should a player suffer a loss of career due to play carrying on when it shouldn’t.

It’s always happened in the past - everyone remembers Shaun Edwards being the master at it, but it’s got to a point where it’s so commonplace that it’s ruining the flow of a game.   I don’t know what the answer is, as I can’t blame the RFL for being careful in this era of litigation.

With regards to all the diving, backchat etc we’ll that IS something the RFL can clamp down on.   Shame we can’t sort some assertiveness training for match officials.

 


“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I think, if they haven't done it already, the RFL need to give advice and a mandate to all referees, to cut down on the penalty awarding when players dive about, trap defenders arms trying to make it look like they're holding on, etc.

I think we can stop the neck rubbing overnight if we bring in a rule that any player looking to have sustained a neck injury has to leave the field for assessment.

The other play acting stuff will have to be left to the ref's discretion and I worry about how gullible some of them are.

Sadly, cheating now appears to be an epidemic.

 

Gladly it is not a pandemic,

I have watched all 4 of the games from Aus this weekend, and even though the game is faster, has far more big hits and played with a much greater intensity than the game over here there were if any none of the shenanigins highlighted in this thread, is it the players who are more respectful of the game or does the two refferee system by having the ruck area policed eliminate a lot of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...