Liverpool RLFC (Merged Threads)

Cdd

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

To be fair Bob, Lancashire won the county championship when they predominantly played at Liverpool rather than Manchester.  The better cricket weather being probably the main factor.

Don’t forget that Aintree hosts the Grand National too and there is a lot of interest in the horses over there.

I do think though now is the time to give Liverpool another chance to embrace a pro rugby league team given the Magic Weekend commitment and the 2021 World Cup fixtures at Anfield.

It’s joined up thinking.

I am old enough to remember Huyton. 

Presumably that was a league area? The crowds were low but maybe because they always struggled? I remember watching them play a few times. 

The name would be important. Maybe something neutral? Everton maybe? ☺

19 minutes ago, Niels said:

I am old enough to remember Huyton. 

Presumably that was a league area? The crowds were low but maybe because they always struggled? I remember watching them play a few times. 

The name would be important. Maybe something neutral? Everton maybe? ☺

Alt Park. Now that was a ground with a special atmosphere of its own!

9 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Alt Park. Now that was a ground with a special atmosphere of its own!

I don't know if the area deteriorated in the years after the club moved there but I first went in 1982 and it was a truly horrible place.

4 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I've been calling for a RL team in Halifax, Nova Scotia for quite some time.  As I've previously stated, the city has more than enough population to support a team and the fans would take to it like ducks to water.

I'm with you on this one Kman. I have heard RL was played at school level at Halifax, Canada in the 50s / 60s but died out without the RL world at the time even knowing much about it. For anyone younger who comes here and wonders how that could be, it was before the Internet. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

8 hours ago, Cdd said:

It seems a new club is being birthed in Liverpool. Apparently Koukash is the man behind it.

They are claims on Twitter that they already have multiple financial backers. 

Is there a market for a pro RL club in Liverpool? Where would they play? Is it possible to break into such a solid football market?

Why doesn’t he just buy Bradford? Surely a sleeping giant who could be successful again with big investment. 

Anyone could be a giant with big investment 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

To be fair bp,I think its more to do with peoples understanding about how passionate the people of Liverpool are about football here

I fully agree with you JD, but I also used to think the same about Newcastle from my time up there, but they have embraced RL. Perhaps that is due to the dismay with their football club over a number of years or maybe the make up of the population is slightly more cosmopolitan and open minded than in Liverpool............

6 hours ago, hunslet ramone said:

Does Koukash know there used to be Huyton 1968 to 1984 and Runcorn Highfield 1984 to 1990 , sadly they never really took off as i don't see enough people will be attracted away from football from this city , a bit like Sheffield is a footballing city.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions in our sport, that some places are fated or not to be rugby league towns or cities.  The Steelers have managed to get decent crowds as an Ice Hockey team, despite the sport being arguably less stable than Rugby League. It's actually an underpopulated sports market, definitely room for Sheffield Eagles to gain a following with some stability.  

There's a similar theory that working class areas are somehow more of a fit for rugby league, even without the history.  It's an attitude that has held the sport back for a long time.  

Also, both your examples are not in Liverpool.  

4 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

This is one of the biggest misconceptions in our sport, that some places are fated or not to be rugby league towns or cities.  The Steelers have managed to get decent crowds as an Ice Hockey team, despite the sport being arguably less stable than Rugby League. It's actually an underpopulated sports market, definitely room for Sheffield Eagles to gain a following with some stability.  

There's a similar theory that working class areas are somehow more of a fit for rugby league, even without the history.  It's an attitude that has held the sport back for a long time.  

Also, both your examples are not in Liverpool.  

Huyton is in Liverpool.

rldfsignature.jpg

7 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Ermm...dunno, would you say cottingham is in hull? 

Apologies to Cowardly Fan. I was always under the impression for some reason that Huyton was a suburb of Liverpool. After googling I now know differently. You know too much about Hull chuffer. ?

rldfsignature.jpg

Just now, deluded pom? said:

Apologies to Cowardly Fan. I was always under the impression for some reason that Huyton was a suburb of Liverpool. After googling I now know differently. You know too much about Hull chuffer. ?

No problem. 

Another question for me though is not so much the distance/area as how people identify themselves.   For example people from a suburb or nearby town might consider themselves both to be from that town and (more broadly) Liverpool, but I suspect it's less likely to happen the other way e.g. someone from Liverpool identifying with Huyton.  We often hear people asking why don't these potential fans just go to Saints, but personally I think people often follow a new sport first in part due to it representing their area.  

4 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

No problem. 

Another question for me though is not so much the distance/area as how people identify themselves.   For example people from a suburb or nearby town might consider themselves both to be from that town and (more broadly) Liverpool, but I suspect it's less likely to happen the other way e.g. someone from Liverpool identifying with Huyton.  We often hear people asking why don't these potential fans just go to Saints, but personally I think people often follow a new sport first in part due to it representing their area.  

Aye, scousers tend to think anyone to the east of the city is a "woolie" and therefore not one of them, this deffo applies to sin tellins/widnes so scousers would rarely want to go there for local sports entertainment, prob same goes for huyton

Ah the memories - I went to Alt Park a couple of times in just about that era (early 80s) when I was studying in Liverpool. Dreadful place as I recall!

I would say, from memory, it was roughly about the same distance from central Liverpool as Keighley is from Bradford. Not really a 'suburb', as much as a nearby town that is part of the same metropolitan area.

No matter where you set up a club in a city such as Liverpool there will be people complaining of the location, however surely a league one club could attract 500 + in its first season and then look to build slowly. Marine fc is a tidy little ground but probably tooenclosed with houses,pity Holly park the old south Liverpool ground is no more,back in the day not a place for the faint hearted 

On 2/4/2019 at 7:45 AM, Pulga said:

Liverpool, London, Toronto, Toulouse....

It may one day being a truely super league.

Over Parky's dead body

Archived