Kallum to NRL

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I've seen Penrith mentioned as apparently they have two centres out injured at the moment? Perhaps that means they would have some cap dispensation.

They will have cap space after DWZ moved on,although apparently Tyrone Peachey is wanting out of the Titans,could be replacement for him if he heads back to the Panthers.

11 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Given his lack of form and doubts about him being fully recovered from his injury I'm surprised he's looking to make a switch to the NRL this season,even more surprised that an NRL team has room  in its cap to afford him.

I reckon Titans will have some cap relief with some of the long term injuries they have. Also, their centres are terrible - like even at SL standard bad. 

Just now, ghost crayfish said:

Gold Coast wouldn't end well. Brisbane would be good, Manly would be best. 

That could be the case.  GC are struggling. Evidence that the players are undermining the coach should be worrying.  A new coach coming in might have similar results to the Joe Greenwood scenario.

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I reckon Titans will have some cap relief with some of the long term injuries they have. Also, their centres are terrible - like even at SL standard bad. 

Still not a good move,play the season out at Leeds,then get a full preseason at a NRL club and start off fully fit and recovered and hopefully see the real Watkins showing his undoubted talent.

15 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Still not a good move,play the season out at Leeds,then get a full preseason at a NRL club and start off fully fit and recovered and hopefully see the real Watkins showing his undoubted talent.

Agree with this in theory, but if there’s a good offer on the table and an opportunity to play now, it’s a risk to hold out until the end of the season. Leeds are playing him in the back row - not exactly the best shop window for an NRL move as a centre. I can see why he’d go now. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

According to various facebook posts (take it or leave it) Kallum's wife has put up posts saying they are selling all their big furniture asap and told neighbours they're moving to Australia. 

Rumour has it tonight will be one of if not the last game Kal plays for Leeds. The suddenness is supported by the deadline for registering signings with the NRL this season is 30th of June supposedly.

As stated previously, I live round the corner from him. His house has been for sale for a number of months and this week a 'TO LET' sign went up, suggesting they're in a hurry to get out.

1 minute ago, hrtbps said:

As stated previously, I live round the corner from him. His house has been for sale for a number of months and this week a 'TO LET' sign went up, suggesting they're in a hurry to get out.

A friend of mine lives on his street and said the same mate. Clearly on the move just depends where.

I think its a real shame he has regressed over the past few years, I thought we finally had a genuinely world class English centre before his injury, something we`ve lacked for years. Good luck to him if he does move, it might be exactly what he needs.

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

Co-sign. Clubs to avoid would be GCT and NZ Warriors. With James Roberts going to Souths maybe Brisbane might be interested? though the Bronco's generally tend to promote from within the junior ranks, of which there aways seems to be plenty of talent.

Manly and Parramatta seem to have a few backs off contract at the end of the year.

Id add penrith to that list of clubs to avoid this season. 

If he does go to the NRL, the best thing for him could be to play a bit part for the remainder of the season, get a full NRL pre-season under his belt, then hopefully make an impact in 2020.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

25 minutes ago, dkw said:

I think its a real shame he has regressed over the past few years, I thought we finally had a genuinely world class English centre before his injury, something we`ve lacked for years. Good luck to him if he does move, it might be exactly what he needs.

Remember his injury was only last year so saying he's regressed over the last few years seems OTT, before his injury he was playing as well as ever - he can get back there, I think last weeks performance showed his body is starting to get back into it - 52 tackles and I believe 0 misses! but he cannot keep doing that as he is too good as a centre to be flogged in the BR. An early move would suit both parties as would a move to the NRL. I think a move to another club in SL would just be a sidewards move for him, the change in surroundings could be the making of him (and the breaking of course!!)

I do agree that Watkins has regressed over the last few seasons, partly i think as he just seemed to be used as a bit of a battering ram (bizarrely), there seemed to be less and less finesse to his game. It seemed the case to me whenever i saw him play on TV anyway.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

They will have cap space after DWZ moved on,although apparently Tyrone Peachey is wanting out of the Titans,could be replacement for him if he heads back to the Panthers.

That makes the most sense to me, Peachey apparently heading out of GC and back to Penrith asap, leaves a gap in the squad and some cash to spare. But agree with the others, not the most inspiring destination. 

27 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I do agree that Watkins has regressed over the last few seasons, partly i think as he just seemed to be used as a bit of a battering ram (bizarrely), there seemed to be less and less finesse to his game. It seemed the case to me whenever i saw him play on TV anyway.

I would not say he has been regressing for a number of years.

At the end of 2017 season he was selected in the World 13. One of the two best centres in the entire world!

Around 10 games into last season he was injured for 8 months and returned this season without a proper preseason. He lacks form that's all.

Leeds will not pay the wages his agent can find for him. I'd suggest most Leeds fans will send him on his way with good intentions. Good luck to him.

40 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Less than 2yrs ago, he was in the World XIII and arguably the best centre in the WC. Then the injury. 

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Less than 2yrs ago, he was in the World XIII and arguably the best centre in the WC. Then the injury. 

He was. But wasn't playing with the same level of finesse from previous seasons. Not in my opinion anyway.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

In November, Mal Meninga joined the Gold Coast as Head of Performance and Culture.

If Watinks does go there then at least he has the current Kangaroo coach and the best centre I ever saw play the game to support and develop him.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I know this sounds somewhat ridiculous but could Super Rugby (Union) be on the cards?

Not somewhat, totally. Super Rugby's season is ending so why the rush? Plus the Australian clubs there haven't a pot to p!ss in

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I've seen Penrith mentioned as apparently they have two centres out injured at the moment? Perhaps that means they would have some cap dispensation.

Penrith would be a marginally better option, their centres aren't much cop but Peachey might be on the way there

Archived