John Drake

Sat 5 Oct: Championship - Play-off Final: Toronto Wolfpack v Featherstone Rovers KO 7.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

108 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Toronto Wolfpack
    • Featherstone Rovers

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/19 at 18:30

9 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Unless Toronto manage to sign a few top class players then they are definitely one of those teams...

I think they'll sign a few top quality players. In fact, I think they'll do much better than people are expecting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

In that case it could be a short stay in SL. I would have thought Brian McDermott would have fully appraised them of what's going to be needed. 

Apparently McDermott likes this bunch due to their team spirit and thinks he can improve them. Not sure I believe him

Fantastic performance by Fev, they were switched on right from the off and played to their limit. For a few minutes in the second half, they glimpsed the promised land. Ryan Carr is a hell of a coach and I hope we can keep him in the British game. 

For Toronto, well, pressure does funny things, and I did wonder whether they were going to blow it again with all the errors, but once the dam broke, they relaxed and took it home. 

So this weird and wild ride is still going, who knows how far it will go and when/if it will end. Whatever happens, time for Elstone to stop being such a grumpypants and show some excitement about the Wolfpack and make the most of the publicity boost of their arrival next year. I suspect they've got some big names up their sleeve. 

Edited by Toby Chopra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

They need props, back rowers, halves and wingers but apparently they are sticking with all but “the final 15-20%” of this squad according to Martin Vickers.

Not sure they will have much choice if all are contracted. 

Could make next season a tough one recruitment wise especially if players are on 'above market' value contracts and having to recruit fairly late (although I suspect irons are already in the fire).

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Ash Golding is great in front of the camera and we should get him involved more. Brilliant that he showcased the Jamaica vs England knights game 

Think he could have a big year next year.  Been impressed with him last few games.  Also looks to have some leadership qualities.

• Like 1

Still get the feeling that a lot of the Toronto crowd are struggling to follow what is going on. No surprise as a lot of them are newbies to the game. Hopefully they will get the bug and shout gerrem onside and forward all the time LOL

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

McDermott speaking a lot of sense again. The sport as a whole really needs to push this now in Canada.

Agreed. Instead we refuse to let them have any central funding, and Robert Elstone take a massive salary to come up with this 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gates1 said:

Not sure they will have much choice if all are contracted. 

Could make next season a tough one recruitment wise especially if players are on 'above market' value contracts and having to recruit fairly late (although I suspect irons are already in the fire).

It's always possible that being in the top tier of the game they can attract some crossover talent from RU, but we'll see between now and next season.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

The only let down was the lovechild of McDermott and O Connor, Jon Wilkin. Really unpleasant to see him laughing in the face of an opponent after a knock on. It's an ugly look. A true champion is only worthy of the name if they act like one.

Unlike the rest of his team, he embarrassed himself yet again with his shabby classlessness.

Hopefully he's finished now, and I can enjoy watching Toronto in SL without his grubiness.

• Like 2

Saw the 2nd half - thanks CKN for the info -  and soon became clear that Toronto were fitter, faster and had more stamina than Featherstone.  Very creditable performance from them, though, and their skill, motivation, determination cannot be doubted. Someone has to win, though, and Toronto deserved it, in my view.

• Like 3

Four legs good - two legs bad

31 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

A gritty win for Toronto, the willpower got them through in the end. Featherstone played the better footy but Toronto’s power and quality showed through eventually. A lot to work on in the off season for them. And also Featherstone too, who will no doubt be having a raft of changes

No Fev running out of petrol on the hour mark and home advantage got them through.   I'm sure three away games on the trot, and a 12 hour journey back from Toulouse plus, a flight to a different time zone,  had a lot to do with it too.  So well done Toronto.  I'm sure the SL will welcome you with open arms ?

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 2

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

No Fev ran out of petrol on the hour mark.  But then I'm sure three away games, a 12 hour journey back from Toulouse, a flight to a different time zone, and Toronto's home advantage had a lot to do with it too.

Yeah I’m sorry you’re right, Toronto only won because Fev ran out of petrol ?

• Like 2

Congratulations to all at Toronto Wolfpack and to all our Canadian forum pals! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Just a bit balance

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

No Fev running out of petrol on the hour mark and home advantage got them through.   I'm sure three away games on the trot, and a 12 hour journey back from Toulouse plus, a flight to a different time zone,  had a lot to do with it too.  So well done Toronto.  I'm sure the SL will welcome you with open arms ?

It was an amazing effort by Featherstone over the last month. Toronto were wobbling big time. Hope they can keep hold of that coach. He has transformed the team.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

In truth there wasn't any difference skill wise , it really was just down to size and stamina in the end 

• Like 1

Just now, GUBRATS said:

In truth there wasn't any difference skill wise , it really was just down to size and stamina in the end 

Do you think? I thought Toronto played some very nice, expansive Rugby. Indeed perhaps too expansive at times.

Just now, Scubby said:

It was an amazing effort by Featherstone over the last month. Toronto were wobbling big time. Hope they can keep hold of that coach. He has transformed the team.

Fev and Leigh showed just how good the Championship can be.  The rules are the rules but why such an important game was not on neutral ground is beyond me.  Perhaps they should abandon OT for Langtree Park next week.

Clement Attlee.

Fev and Leigh showed just how good the Championship can be.  The rules are the rules but why such an important game was not on neutral ground is beyond me.  Perhaps they should abandon OT for Langtree Park next week.

This was in the rules at the start of the season. Everybody understood them.

Oldham will play Newcastle at home in the League 1 Grand Final this weekend.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Which is basically what I said before Trojan got chippy 

I think London did show this season how good the Championship can be with winning 10 games in Super League with more or less the same squad that they had in the Championship

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It's always possible that being in the top tier of the game they can attract some crossover talent from RU, but we'll see between now and next season.

Doubt it .  For the 1st time in years I've watched a bit of union recently. 

Different skill set  in most positions can't see any fowards or halves making a competent switch.  Top outside backs maybe but that's about it.

Edited by Gates1