Workington Town v West Bowling

WTRLFC WEBSITE

Pretty dismal performance from Town today,Ok,We can accept we havn't played a competitive game until today but a lot of silly mistakes that we need to cut out.I liked the way west bowling played, and their hooker&15 were top players for them,but a win is a win and roll on next week for Donny,but top marks to west bowling you did yours proud today and were unlucky not to snatch it at the finish......

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, DavidM said:

‘ The boys have bought into what we've been doing strongly and I'm looking forward to them delivering on the pitch. We're just finalising a couple of signings and we're constantly scanning for players who can enhance what we have’

CHRIS 

Does anyone know who the two players are - locals or travellers- experienced?

I thought we were out enthused today. Luckily we had a bit of luck with awkward bounces which led to tries. The weather and conditions were the same for both sides and if West Bowling had won it would have been a fair result. I thought they might tire in the second half but they were a credit to the club.

Sad to see we are not issuing a match programme this season as we have lost money on them. Maybe someone at the club needs to talk to the Zebras who issue every home game, free of charge and with extremely small crowds. How can they do that?

We had them and I thought the buzz had gone out of them, then we got penalised for a shoulder charge which they scored off, then we didn't make ten with the kick off and they scored again suddenly it was game on and we're clock watching. Good job Fui did a stint. You can see how we're trying to play but we made too many errors and could do with a bit of cutting edge from our first choice centre's. 

Listening to Chris’s interview he sees it as the start of a journey and I think to a certain extent we need to view it the same.  5 of that 17 were playing amateur rugby last year and our expectations maybe need to be reined in slightly. It is hopefully the start of a very successful era but there will be good days and bad days but as long as everyone learns from their mistakes we will improve and hopefully gel into a good team. It’ll be good to see o donnell, ell and Wellington at some point, let’s hope their injuries aren’t too serious.

Thought west bowling were outstanding with their 7 & 9 the picks. ???

As for us I really don't know what to make of it. Left side defence was awful at times and our last play choices especially in the second half were baffling. What happened to kicking the ball? 

You can forgive a lot of handling  mistakes with the conditions. I thought O'Brien looked the part and played well. We are still lacking a bit of go forward in the pack though, and probably partly due to the conditions everything looked a bit off the boil. But I'm sure it will click and hopefully next week the storms will have gone. 

Tell you what, give me summer rugby any day as that was Baltic today, took me an hour to warm up at yam. Must be getting old! UTT.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

3 minutes ago, IanMac said:

Listening to Chris’s interview he sees it as the start of a journey and I think to a certain extent we need to view it the same

5 minutes ago, IanMac said:

our expectations maybe need to be reined in slightly

Yeah I think this is a rebuilding  season and I agree about the expectation thing. Its probably gonna take time to pay dividends. 

1 hour ago, Super Rooster said:

I thought we were out enthused today. Luckily we had a bit of luck with awkward bounces which led to tries. The weather and conditions were the same for both sides and if West Bowling had won it would have been a fair result. I thought they might tire in the second half but they were a credit to the club.

Sad to see we are not issuing a match programme this season as we have lost money on them. Maybe someone at the club needs to talk to the Zebras who issue every home game, free of charge and with extremely small crowds. How can they do that?

Cos Zebras don’t have the bills Town have. Good to see the board making business decisions. 

1 hour ago, Super Rooster said:

The programme at the Zebs is part of the entrance fee. They aren't given out for free, they are black and white and won't cost half of what of what it costs to print the Town programme. Town have been losing out on programme sales for years, it makes sense to pull the plug. 

15 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

The programme at the Zebs is part of the entrance fee. They aren't given out for free, they are black and white and won't cost half of what of what it costs to print the Town programme. Town have been losing out on programme sales for years, it makes sense to pull the plug. 

Programmes are an on cost to all lower league clubs, maybe an announcement mid week, would have been better, rather than folk finding out on day.

PS, anyone got directions for Tryline at the Rec, we seem to have lost it.

HW

Well done to the club for getting the game on, pitch was in good condition, thought west bowling played the conditions best,played around the ruck off there number 9 better,town wanted to play there normal game plan and moved to much sideways for me,MOI moi had a few good carrys but I wish town would fight to play the ball quicker and get on a roll.but early doors and today in the high winds was always going to be a tight game with mistakes,but into the next round.

Will have to do a lot better than that if progress is to be made this season. Well done Bowling, thought you played very well. Couple of gripes - thought the pitch was awful - yes I know the weather hasn't helped but there were large patches of mud and "brown grass" all over. Wouldn't think it was a new pitch. If the club is only selling 35 programmes, then print 35. Don't care if they are just in black and white, they are a service to supporters, nice to know who's in the squad of both teams. Still like to look and see who's down to play and have a souvenir of the game. Feel for Bowling fans - one of their biggest games and no memento. Also, why was standing terrace shut ?

Archived