Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Clogiron

No test series

Recommended Posts

According to Fox Sports Aus the NRL is expected to announce on Thursday that Australia will be withdrawing from the test series so that they can stage  the State of Origin at that time. As the game's biggest money spinner they view it as vital to the future of the game's finance's down under.

Make of that what you willūüėź

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Mal says hold your horses and make no calls yet and I’d tend to agree with him . Cool heads are at a premium at present , as are people who can see what lies ahead 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope this doesn't happen but I can see the Test series being first in line if there are any casualties to fixtures..............as the Aussies don't care about it and it won't be a big money earner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I hope this doesn't happen but I can see the Test series being first in line if there are any casualties to fixtures..............as the Aussies don't care about it and it won't be a big money earner

Whereas for the RFL it would be at their time of need.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing the RFL we can brace ourselves for another NZ Test series. Now if they got Tonga, NZ and Samoa/France for a nice little 4 nations then it wouldn't be the end of the world.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Damien said:

Knowing the RFL we can brace ourselves for another NZ Test series. Now if they got Tonga, NZ and Samoa/France for a nice little 4 nations then it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Assuming it's a possibility, a straightforward swap for three tests against three other countries would be fine. I don't even care if England win easily, I'm just keen to have some rugby to watch and pay for.

  • Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm just keen to have some rugby to watch and pay for.

Hallelujah to that . Indeed any live sport , any semblance of comfort and normality 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Knowing the RFL we can brace ourselves for another NZ Test series. Now if they got Tonga, NZ and Samoa/France for a nice little 4 nations then it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Tonga, Fiji, Samoa 4 nations. Use it as a chance to introduce the teams for next years world cup and build towards that. 

There's some top quality games there and i think it would sell well. Maybe double headers and see if we can get two games per week on the BBC (if you want to really really push it, go for two double headers and combine it with some european championship games and try and get 4 games on tv)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

by October it will be all over, or we will all be dead anyway

  • Haha 1

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It‚Äôs probably the ‚Äúsafest‚ÄĚ thing that can be cancelled at this stage, so I can understand it, even if I am selfishly disappointed by this.¬†

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a scary thought. Heaven forbid it actually succeeds and the NRL consider post season SOO to be a good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this does happen, couldn't OZ pick a side minus the SOO players? 

It may not be as star studded but a selection of NRL players who aren't quite good enough to play SOO is still a formidable opponent and one I would pay to watch. 

During the SL war in 1995, didn't OZ go to the world Cup without some pretty big names and it was still a good tournament and a decent OZ team?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

If this does happen, couldn't OZ pick a side minus the SOO players? 

It may not be as star studded but a selection of NRL players who aren't quite good enough to play SOO is still a formidable opponent and one I would pay to watch. 

During the SL war in 1995, didn't OZ go to the world Cup without some pretty big names and it was still a good tournament and a decent OZ team?

I think it would be better to pick players for State of Origin who aren't quite good enough for test football. 

To be fair, you could stick 17 sheep in blue and the Sydney media would get excited. 

  • Like 2

People called Romans they go the house

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't people consider the option of playing PNG later this year? Thatisland  nation is quite isolated, and may not have the Covid-19 virus yet.

With a team that includes classy players such as Alex Johnston and Edene Gebbie  (South Sydney), Rhyse Martin and Wellington Albert (Leeds), David Mead (Catalans), Justin Olam (Melbourne), Lachlan Lam (Sydney Roosters), Stargroth Amean and Wartovo Puara (Barrow), Watson Boas (Doncaster) Edwin Ipape  (Blacktown Workers), and Luke Page (Burleigh Bears), they will be a great competitor for England, as they showed when they beat England last year.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Why don't people consider the option of playing PNG later this year? Thatisland  nation is quite isolated, and may not have the Covid-19 virus yet.

With a team that includes classy players such as Alex Johnston and Edene Gebbie  (South Sydney), Rhyse Martin and Wellington Albert (Leeds), David Mead (Catalans), Justin Olam (Melbourne), Lachlan Lam (Sydney Roosters), Stargroth Amean and Wartovo Puara (Barrow), Watson Boas (Doncaster) Edwin Ipape  (Blacktown Workers), and Luke Page (Burleigh Bears), they will be a great competitor for England, as they showed when they beat England last year.

Because the risk of the virus to a country like PNG would be monumental. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

All fine until Covid 20 makes an appearance

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Damien said:

Knowing the RFL we can brace ourselves for another NZ Test series. Now if they got Tonga, NZ and Samoa/France for a nice little 4 nations then it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Just back from Australia on Monday and cancelling the Ashes series was being floated to accomodate in order to acciomodate the extension of the NRL season if games are cancelled. One point you should bear in mind when considering alternative nations is that, France excepted, the others would be made up largely by NRL players and if the NRL season is extended then permission will not be forthcoming for player release.


.  ?

Quote

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

 
Eddie Demsey RMT
 
Quote

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Why don't people consider the option of playing PNG later this year? Thatisland  nation is quite isolated, and may not have the Covid-19 virus yet.

With a team that includes classy players such as Alex Johnston and Edene Gebbie  (South Sydney), Rhyse Martin and Wellington Albert (Leeds), David Mead (Catalans), Justin Olam (Melbourne), Lachlan Lam (Sydney Roosters), Stargroth Amean and Wartovo Puara (Barrow), Watson Boas (Doncaster) Edwin Ipape  (Blacktown Workers), and Luke Page (Burleigh Bears), they will be a great competitor for England, as they showed when they beat England last year.

Everywhere is affected. All rugby activity has been suspended in PNG until June

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

If this does happen, couldn't OZ pick a side minus the SOO players? 

It may not be as star studded but a selection of NRL players who aren't quite good enough to play SOO is still a formidable opponent and one I would pay to watch. 

During the SL war in 1995, didn't OZ go to the world Cup without some pretty big names and it was still a good tournament and a decent OZ team?

That would diminish any faint remainder of credibility the international game has left in Australia

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

That would diminish any faint remainder of credibility the international game has left in Australia

Surely no more than unilaterally cancelling an international tournament in favour of a domestic one would do. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Surely no more than unilaterally cancelling an international tournament in favour of a domestic one would do. 

 

Agree. 

Tbh OZ must have 75-100 players who are of a good enough level to probably beat a England 13.

Taking away 40 of them will still make for a competitive series and there will still be interest in the games here in the UK and some interest down under too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...