Lowdesert

Hull FC under severe threat

22 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

If Hull or any other club haven't got enough money to survive then they do what everyone else does - they cut back with their financial outgoings.  If that then means not being able to but the best players then so be it. Many lower league clubs have been in that position for years.

Some of the Super League clubs should just think themselves lucky they have a "marketable name".

Haven’t Hull already cut the wages of their playing roster and staff?  I think additionally butting the players would be unacceptable.

Not been mentioned yet, but the application went through Barclays, who are Hulls banking partner.  Being that close, I would’ve thought it would have been an easy, quick answer.  Obviously not and the response was negative.  

Has any club started a crowd funding page? Where supporters can donate what they would've paid on a match day anyway?

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I think that's a fair enough assessment, I don't disagree. I'd recommend you have a listen to the most recent 5Live podcast with Dave Woods and the former CEO of Melbourne Storm and Harlequins RU, he makes the point that Rugby League, and Super League in particular, don't have much to cut due to starting from such a low base. That's a potential positive as it means the game is less expensive to run, but it has the concurrent effect that in a time where all budgets are shrinking, RL doesn't have the room to cut too far before it reaches a critical level. What the implications of that are is as yet undecided. 

I don't think a marketable name is the main thing, arguably that only fits St Helens and Warrington maybe? The rest are where they are because their in markets that can sustain them both in terms of fans and sponsors - generally that's larger places. 

The "marketable name" aspect was in reference to the fact that the opening Super League game was due to be Paris v Oldham until Gary Hetherington phoned Maurice Lindsay and they decided that the name of Sheffield was more marketable than Oldham and so changed the fixture. The same applied to why the RFL wanted Huddersfield in the Super League instead of Oldham as it was the birthplace of the game.

I always had great respect for Geoff Fletcher when he was Chairman (and eveything else) at Huyton. Yes they were always near the bottom of the table but he made sure they were never in debt to anyone.

Even if every club had that attitude then someone would still always be top of the league.

As with Manchester City, etc, it's easy to get success when using someone else's money.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Has any club started a crowd funding page? Where supporters can donate what they would've paid on a match day anyway?

Don’t know the answer to your question, I haven’t seen any RL clubs doing it but I’ve seen plenty of non-league football clubs doing it. 

I’ve also seen in Scottish Football that some clubs have signed up to a “Donate a ticket” scheme, which, as it says on the tin, is you donating the cost of a matchday ticket to your club. 

14 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The "marketable name" aspect was in reference to the fact that the opening Super League game was due to be Paris v Oldham until Gary Hetherington phoned Maurice Lindsay and they decided that the name of Sheffield was more marketable than Oldham and so changed the fixture. The same applied to why the RFL wanted Huddersfield in the Super League instead of Oldham as it was the birthplace of the game.

Ok well thats a personal issue with Oldham vs Sheffield and Huddersfield, not Hull FC?

33 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I know Wakey and Leeds have got some new membership schemes in place to support the club financially.

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Don’t know the answer to your question, I haven’t seen any RL clubs doing it but I’ve seen plenty of non-league football clubs doing it. 

I’ve also seen in Scottish Football that some clubs have signed up to a “Donate a ticket” scheme, which, as it says on the tin, is you donating the cost of a matchday ticket to your club. 

Those clubs have officially ended their season and don't know when their next games will be. That does make the 'ask' a little easier.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Ok well thats a personal issue with Oldham vs Sheffield and Huddersfield, not Hull FC?

But it still shows that "a name" can be advantageous. I'm sure that in Toronto, New York, Ottawa, Toulouse or any other place in the world that more people will know of Hull than of Oldham and not just because of rugby.

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Those clubs have officially ended their season and don't know when their next games will be. That does make the 'ask' a little easier.

Most were set up before any decision was made. 

14 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

But it still shows that "a name" can be advantageous. I'm sure that in Toronto, New York, Ottawa, Toulouse or any other place in the world that more people will know of Hull than of Oldham and not just because of rugby.

Yeah thats what I said originally, the fans and sponsors, and potential for more, tend to be in bigger places? Not so much luck as placement?

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah thats what I said originally, the fans and sponsors, and potential for more, tend to be in bigger places? Not so much luck as placement?

Yes and which is the same as I said that some Super League clubs should thank themselves lucky they have marketable names.

55 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

That doesn't work for Season Ticket holders who, certainly at my club, make up the great majority of supporters.

If I was a player at a club for instance at Hull, (been there done that). In this current situation there is no way id be taking a pay cut. The club have given me the contract therfore there pay me what my contract says. 

9 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

If I was a player at a club for instance at Hull, (been there done that). In this current situation there is no way id be taking a pay cut. The club have given me the contract therfore there pay me what my contract says. 

These are exceptional times though which is affecting everyone all over the World. Desperate times call for desperate measures. 

23 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Ok, we've gone bust you're redundant and we've no money to pay you off. You're now a creditor. And by the way our only assets are some rugby kit and a few balls...

• Like 1

Just 2 or 3 months ago Pearson was almost boasting about his overspending both last season and this which he himself described as unsustainable. It was all about the hope to compete with the likes of St Helens.

Even before the current crisis his gamble looked to have backfired, so much so he sacked his coach and went on TV to tell us so within minutes.

Hull FC by Pearson's own admission don't just make losses they PLAN to make losses and don't have any assets like a stadium as security.

Pearson wants a loan which the government gives 100% security. But that's not a loan it's a gift. There was never a chance Barclays or the government could do that for him and his unsustainable speculative Hull FC business model. And nor should they.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Well, let's hope they do that ... for your sake.

And what will be your name on here when there's no longer a Hull to be a fan of ?

1 hour ago, Hullfan said:

Until there's no money left and then you get nothing , seems fair enough 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Well, let's hope they do that ... for your sake.

And what will be your name on here when there's no longer a Hull to be a fan of ?

What does Hull FC have to do with my name on here?? Bizarre thing to say my mate. Have you been drinking the sherry again

Just now, Hullfan said:

What does Hull FC have to do with my name on here?? Bizarre thing to say my mate. Have you been drinking the sherry again

Anybody else wish to contribute to a reply or have I misread the words "Hull" and "fan" ?

2 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

He said Hull , not Hull FC , it says Hull in your user name 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

In fact, in your earlier comment ....

2 hours ago, Hullfan said:

If I was a player at a club for instance at Hull .........

... you mentioned Hull,so I just replied about not being able to be a fan of Hull.

EDIT ... If not a Hull fan then are you able to say which team you do support ? Because your previous posts have tended to give such an impression. ie: In the "England make more coaching appointments" thread, one of your comments was ... "I hope Andy Last gets the Hull FC job".

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Anybody else wish to contribute to a reply or have I misread the words "Hull" and "fan" ?

Yes I'd like to contribute, so if Hull FC are no longer then there won't be a Hull for me to be a fan of?? OK so will that mean Hull as a city will be no longer?? Because its Hull that I'm a fan of