Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Manfred Mann

Which NRL team are you following most?

Which NRL team are you following most?  

53 members have voted

  1. 1. Which NRL team are you following most?

    • Melbourne Storm
    • Canberra Raiders
    • Cronulla Sharks
    • St. George-Illawarra Dragons
      0
    • Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
    • Wests Tigers
    • Parramatta Eels
    • Penrith Panthers
    • South Sydney Rabbitohs
    • Sydney Roosters
    • Manly Sea Eagles
    • Newcastle Knights
    • Brisbane Broncos
      0
    • Gold Coast Titans
    • North Queensland Cowboys
    • New Zealand Warriors


Recommended Posts

Given that the NRL is the only rugby league competition that we can watch for the next two months, most members of this forum probably have a preferred NRL team

With a significant number of English players now playing in the NRL, there is much to be interested in at specific clubs. 

Canberra has the most English players (George Williams, John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead, Josh Hogdson, Ryan Sutton). However there are other Englishmen at other clubs, most notably James Graham (St George-Illawarra), Tom Burgess (Souths), Herbie Farnworth (Brisbane), and Ryan Hall (Sydney).

Does the presence of a particular Englishman influence your choice of a club to follow? Or do you follow a particular NRL club for other reasons?

Edited by Manfred Mann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Given that the NRL is the only rugby league competition that we can watch for the next two months, most members of this forum probably have a preferred NRL team

With a significant number of English players now playing in the NRL, there is much to be interested in at specific clubs. 

Canberra has the most English players (George Williams, John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead, Josh Hogdson, Ryan Sutton). However there are other Englishmen at other clubs, most notably James Graham (St George-Illawarra), Tom Burgess (Souths), Herbie Farnworth (Brisbane), and Ryan Hall (Sydney).

Does the presence of a particular Englishman influence your choice of a club to follow? Or do you follow a particular NRL club for other reasons?

I enjoy watching most of the games because of the technical quality. 

Ultimately though I don’t follow an individual team over there as I have zero ties with Australia/New Zealand.

In most games I tend to hope to be entertained - if you really pushed me I’d like an underdog to do well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I've not watched any, but due to family connections, Melbourne Storm are my favourite team.

Why haven’t you watched any games? Many of them have been very entertaining. Don’t you have Sky Sports? 

Edited by Manfred Mann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a fondness for New Zealand RL, particularly the Auckland comp, since first getting their annual yearbook over 30 years ago. Hence it`s the Warriors for me. They can be frustrating, but a handful of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck magic moments can make it all worthwhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder why so many Englishmen are supporting the Parramatta Eels?

And why is nobody who has voted following the heroic New Zealand Warriors?

Edited by Manfred Mann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be watching pretty much every game from every round but if I had to choose I would always prioritize the games (and support the teams) with the largest English contingent.

So this year it is Canberra but I will also want Souths, St George, Roosters and Brisbane to win each week.

Edited by Dunbar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

I wonder why so many Englishmen are supporting the Parramatta Eels?

And why is nobody who has voted following the heroic New Zealand Warriors?

After Canberra Raiders, New Zealand Warriors are my second choice. They were good last weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I will be watching pretty much every game from every round but if I had to choose I would always prioritize the games (and support the teams) with the largest English contingent.

So this year it is Canberra but I will also want Souths, St George and Brisbane to win each week.

So why don’t you include Sydney Roosters? Rugby league’s leading maths wiz, former Leeds and England international, Ryan Hall,, gets his start for 2020 in 20 minutes from now. 

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Manfred Mann said:

So why don’t you include Sydney Roosters? Rugby league’s leading maths wiz, former Leeds and England international, Ryan Hall,, gets his start for 2020 in 20 minutes from now. 

Thank you. Yes, an oversight on my part. I will edit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

I wonder why so many Englishmen are supporting the Parramatta Eels?

 

Was given a shirt as a gift from a relative after an Aus vacation. They became my Aus team. The shirt still gets the odd run out at Lamport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Warriors are (and always have been) my favourite NRL team because they’re an expansion club. Terrible jersey though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Why haven’t you watched any games? Many of them have been very entertaining. Don’t you have Sky Sports? 

I rarely watch RL unless it's England/GB or the Grand Final (or old matches on YouTube). I do plan to watch Origin this year though. My affinity with Melbourne Storm is also pretty weak. I like your positivity though, so I might try and catch the odd game.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch as much as I can. I do a tipping competition with my Dad, so every game has something riding on it personally, which makes it better to watch. Also depends on if I’ve had a bet too. That said, I have a team that I follow but still take a look over as much as I can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

I wonder why so many Englishmen are supporting the Parramatta Eels?

And why is nobody who has voted following the heroic New Zealand Warriors?

That's who I've been to most when my Son first emigrated to Australia but he's in Brisbane now so we go there when i go but Eeels will always be the team i want to do well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balmain/West.  I have fond memories watching Balmain on a mates satellite dish but I first followed them in the early 80’s.  Stand outs for me were Benny Elias and the non stop efforts of Wayne Pearce and a great fullback in Garry Jack plus Blocker was always good for a blue.  Obviously Ellery ended up there, Schofield and Lee Crookes but they seemed to go astray when Alan Jones got the coaching job.

 When the clubs merged they lost their name and we ended up with West’s Tigers, so I ended up following them really. Still played at the same ground and some great players in Brett Hodgson, Pat Richards.  Matt Sing ended up at Hull at one stage too.  

The enigma that is Benji Marshall was always fascinating to see.  He brought moves, steps and feigned passes at will and I think was the first player to use the eyes in one direction and pass in another move that we see close to the opposition line these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always wanted the Warriors to do better, just because they're an outpost club. But as long as I've been able to follow the game Down Under, my favourites have been the Raiders.

And hasn't that been frustrating for so many years? No trophies (yet) from the current crop, but the Green Machine are so much closer to the early glory days than they've been in ages.

Edited by Futtocks

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lived in Manly for 3 years, 2nd best place on earth after East Hull, member at the Sea Eagles during the first Hasler era so nobody else for me.
 

Nowt better than a beer on the hill in the sunshine at Brookie watching Steve Matai smash someone up - rugby league heaven 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/06/2020 at 16:45, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Lived in Manly for 3 years, 2nd best place on earth after East Hull,  ??

???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/06/2020 at 09:27, Manfred Mann said:

I wonder why so many Englishmen are supporting the Parramatta Eels?

And why is nobody who has voted following the heroic New Zealand Warriors?

5-10 years ago there would have been loads of votes for St George and Brisbane and hardly any for Canberra!

How times change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...