Wakefield Trinity plans submision

8 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

They will be pointing right at it. Worst part of the going will be behind the cameras.

Anyhow it's a start, hope the new guy can continue the ground improvements. 

I've raised this already and been assured they won't be putting the camera on the new stand but keeping it where it is 

Though it was someone on here so it wasn't an expert as such 

3 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Correct, I’m sure I read that things like LED floodlights and big screens, score you more points than a new stadium.

Luckily we have both of those as well.

The "Heritage" ground of Fev uses miners' lamps and a bloke spinning tin numbers on a gantry. Probably.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/06/2023 at 12:02, David Shepherd said:

Common mistake. 340,000 is the WMDC area that includes Castleford, Pontefract, Featherstone, Normanton etc.

The population of the city of Wakefield is around 90-100,000. A very small city. You could maybe include Osset and Horbury in their potential catchment, but the 5 towns definitely not. (Except maybe a bit of Normanton).

Without wishing to rain on Wakey fans parade. The new development is a stand and pitch. Their financial projections for their future revenue look like they are straight off fantasy island. The rest of the stadium still looks awful and the TV cameras will never see the shiny new stand.

Yes Wakey can grow (and I hope they do), but be realistic about their potential.

I think you're wrong but not totally wrong. Wakefield is a small Cathedral city that's true, and the population that lives within it's city limits is about 80k, roughly double Cas. But places like Horbury, Crofton/Walton, Sharlston, Havercroft/Ryhill, though not actually in the city boundaries consider themselves as suburbs. Even nominal towns like Hemsworth, Ossett and even parts of Normanton consider themselves Wakefield residents first. Only Castleford, Pontefract and Featherstone have truly distinct identities.

So I'd suggest Trinity's catchment population is around 200k and that's four-five times bigger than Cas and that's a huge difference.

Added to that there is far more commerce in Wakefield, whilst at the same time, with the opening up of the by-pass road five years back, the amount of new housing, much of it smack bang next to to BV, is astonishing.

Finally unlike Wigan and Hudds to name but two, Trinity doesn't have a football team to compete with.

So yes Cockey may be over egging it a bit, but you are definitely under egging it, and I think you know you are.

In RL terms Wakefield have been the sleeping giant for decades, and with the right management, solid investment and a bit of success, they could easily be up there financially, and support wise with Warrington or Saints. Remember it's not that long ago the the Wire were a real backwater club.

We shall see, as a Trinity fan I've been here before, so no promises from me. The big difference now, at last, is that we are no longer being judged on the state of BV. It's still not a state of the art ground, but it is at last fit for purpose. That is a huge monkey off our backs, and will allow the new owner to concentrate far more on the team.

Edited by Kirmonds pouch
  • Like 4

On 08/05/2023 at 11:25, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Interesting that they’ve run the stand to the try line, rather than further on to the dead ball line (I’m sure the old one ran longer). Presumably to make better access to the other areas of the ground? 

No it didn't. The new stand finishes in the same place. The club wanted the lower terracing to curve around the corner flag so there wasn't an awkward gap between the two. I think it will look far better the way we are doing it, but I can't be sure until it's complete. Never easy joining old and new together. What you gain in retaining atmosphere you lose in symmetry. Me, I'll take the former all day long.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 18:42, dboy said:

Luckily we have both of those as well.

The "Heritage" ground of Fev uses miners' lamps and a bloke spinning tin numbers on a gantry. Probably.

No it doesn't , the fev ground while a bit disjointed is excellent for watching the game , with decent facilities for pretty much everybody , it's not ' state of the art ' but it's the result of a lot of hard work by dedicated fans of the club ( I include the owner in that ) you have no right to criticise 

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No it doesn't , the fev ground while a bit disjointed is excellent for watching the game , with decent facilities for pretty much everybody , it's not ' state of the art ' but it's the result of a lot of hard work by dedicated fans of the club ( I include the owner in that ) you have no right to criticise 

No, joking aside, the floodlights are an utter disgrace (though I'm sure I read there were plans to upgrade them).

They are simply not fit for purpose.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 14:11, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

90 - 100,000?  That must just be just Wakefield central wards.  Outwood Wrenthorpe Stanley Sandal Walton etc  are all classed as Wakefield don’t think they’re included in that figure.  

Up the Trin 

Wrenthorpe is part of Featherstone.  Well, my bit is anyway!

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'm still giggling at Kp's assertion that the residents of Sharlston consider themselves to live in a suburb of Wakefield.....

They do, whether they consider it so or not!

I know many many people from Sharlston, old and young, lifetime friends and close ones at that. They are from Sharlston first and always and proud of it but they also know that Sharlston is in Wakefield

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'm still giggling at Kp's assertion that the residents of Sharlston consider themselves to live in a suburb of Wakefield.....

I spent 9 years living in Normanton. I never met anyone there who thought they were a Wakefield resident, other than for council tax purposes. Equally, the only RL interest I ever knew there other than myself were either Cas fans I was friends with, or assumed Fev fans, based on clothing worn. I did leave in 2008 however, although I can't see it having changed that much based on visits to family since.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

10 hours ago, gazza77 said:

I spent 9 years living in Normanton. I never met anyone there who thought they were a Wakefield resident, other than for council tax purposes. Equally, the only RL interest I ever knew there other than myself were either Cas fans I was friends with, or assumed Fev fans, based on clothing worn. I did leave in 2008 however, although I can't see it having changed that much based on visits to family since.

You never drank in the Hark to Mopsey then

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

You never drank in the Hark to Mopsey then

Black Swan primarily.

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

13 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Nah Normy is border territory, half Cas, half Trin.

9 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

Nah Normy is border territory, half Cas, half Trin.

As I say,I can only go on my personal experience of living there from 99 to 08. I moved there from Ponte, and had fellow Fev fans on the same street I lived on. All my acquaintances from the town were Cas fans (bar one random Saints fan). Most people I knew lived Cas end of town however, whether there was a shift towards the Wakey end I've no idea.

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, gazza77 said:

As I say,I can only go on my personal experience of living there from 99 to 08. I moved there from Ponte, and had fellow Fev fans on the same street I lived on. All my acquaintances from the town were Cas fans (bar one random Saints fan). Most people I knew lived Cas end of town however, whether there was a shift towards the Wakey end I've no idea.

Yes mate as quoted previously Hark to Mopsey & the St Johns WMC is Trinity central up that end.

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Looking forward to seeing it up close next season.

Ah yes, the potential for meeting in the cup.

We ain't coming down, and you ain't coming up!*

*Please don't bookmark this post 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1