Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Its not confined to Brits in the NRL, there's been plenty of Aussies & Kiwi's who have come to SL, struggled and gone straight back to the NRL. There's plenty of antipodeans who have the same mental weakness as you put it.

Absolutely, can’t disagree with you. But the Aussies in Super League don’t play for the Kangaroos. They are generally guys whose rep careers are over, or others who aren’t really at that level.

we (as a game) see English players in the NRL as a way to strengthen the national team, but the lack of mental strength by so many of them - I’d wager more than 80% of English players who come to the NRL run home before their contract is out.
This isn’t targeting Williams individually either - he is just one of many. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Northerners really are a bunch of wusses. We've seen it for years at London Broncos; forced to pay way over the odds to get them to move only to then see them whinge and moan incessantly before return

I really find it difficult to grasp the notion that just because one person can deal with it, there is an expectation that everyone must have the same coping skills or they are somehow weak if they do

I don't go on this forum all that much, but assume this guy is a parody account? 

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

The bigger issue here is the mental fortitude of English players not sticking it out and fulfilling their NRL contracts. In the last few years we’ve seen dozens of players come and go without making an impact, all seeking an early release to return to the comfort of the Super League and not fighting their way in the NRL. They know if the going gets tough in the NRL, they will always have a cushy gig in Super League. 

To me it is a mental weakness that you also see present in the England national team. Similarly, when the going gets tough at test level, the players give up, knowing they will still have a cushy gig in Super League. No wonder England/GB haven’t won a series v Australia in almost 50 years.

I've always enjoyed your posts, but this is just utter drivel.

Pathetic, ignorant nonsense.

  • Like 3

People called Romans they go the house

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

Absolutely, can’t disagree with you. But the Aussies in Super League don’t play for the Kangaroos. They are generally guys whose rep careers are over, or others who aren’t really at that level.

we (as a game) see English players in the NRL as a way to strengthen the national team, but the lack of mental strength by so many of them - I’d wager more than 80% of English players who come to the NRL run home before their contract is out.
This isn’t targeting Williams individually either - he is just one of many. 

Now your talking b****x !

Australian Rep players don't come to SL because the NRL has a ban on any players not playing in the NRL from playing either Origin or for their country. That and the fact there's an awful lot more money in the NRL.

If that ban wasn't in place and SL had an equivalent salary cap to the NRL then you would see a lot more antipodean international standard players over in SL and fewer English players going to the NRL. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Now your talking b****x !

Australian Rep players don't come to SL because the NRL has a ban on any players not playing in the NRL from playing either Origin or for their country. That and the fact there's an awful lot more money in the NRL.

If that ban wasn't in place and SL had an equivalent salary cap to the NRL then you would see a lot more antipodean international standard players over in SL and fewer English players going to the NRL. 

There was one player who played SOO while over here, alfie langer. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

That was before the NRL introduced their ban

Seems pretty unnecessary to have a ban.  Apart from Alfie, there's probably only been Jamie Lyon playing over here who would have been in the reckoning for selection.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

The bigger issue here is the mental fortitude of English players not sticking it out and fulfilling their NRL contracts. In the last few years we’ve seen dozens of players come and go without making an impact, all seeking an early release to return to the comfort of the Super League and not fighting their way in the NRL. They know if the going gets tough in the NRL, they will always have a cushy gig in Super League. 

To me it is a mental weakness that you also see present in the England national team. Similarly, when the going gets tough at test level, the players give up, knowing they will still have a cushy gig in Super League. No wonder England/GB haven’t won a series v Australia in almost 50 years.

The issue is George's pregnant girlfriend and Australia's draconian travel laws.  Previous to that I believe Bateman's small child was an issue.  We all know how Sam settled down.  Who knows, if he'd had a nice Yorkshire girlfriend he might still be back here playing for Leeds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

Absolutely, can’t disagree with you. But the Aussies in Super League don’t play for the Kangaroos. They are generally guys whose rep careers are over, or others who aren’t really at that level.

we (as a game) see English players in the NRL as a way to strengthen the national team, but the lack of mental strength by so many of them - I’d wager more than 80% of English players who come to the NRL run home before their contract is out.
This isn’t targeting Williams individually either - he is just one of many. 

Is it not the lack of culture in Oz that gets to them in the end??

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

You are way off comparing Pennington to Stockton Heath or Daresbury, if you average out prices there is a massive difference. 

Not any more £375k 3 bed 1950's type semi £425 4 bed, £600k+ old mill managers semi. We dont have the £750k plus volumes, that is true but those are in the old Leigh suburb of Culcheth

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

old mill managers semi

You can get viagra over the counter these days. Sort that right out.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Not any more £375k 3 bed 1950's type semi £425 4 bed, £600k+ old mill managers semi. We dont have the £750k plus volumes, that is true but those are in the old Leigh suburb of Culcheth

Look I am not anti leigh, I was born and grew up there and my relatives still live in leigh, but Warrington (as a town not rugby) is big and expanding, the new areas are not cheap but in the posher areas Stockton Heath, Appleton, Daresbury were talking millions for some properties. Just to put a perspective on living on the other side of the ship canal a bungalow at £220 plus on one  side and would be £350/£400 on the other a mere 800 metres apart. Culcheth I give you but isn't that in Warrington 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Look I am not anti leigh, I was born and grew up there and my relatives still live in leigh, but Warrington (as a town not rugby) is big and expanding, the new areas are not cheap but in the posher areas Stockton Heath, Appleton, Daresbury were talking millions for some properties. Just to put a perspective on living on the other side of the ship canal a bungalow at £220 plus on one  side and would be £350/£400 on the other a mere 800 metres apart. Culcheth I give you but isn't that in Warrington 😁

Culcheth definitely in Warrington.  When I was at school all my friends from Culcheth HS were Wire fans unlike the Penketh lot who were Chemics.  Is Penketh still little Widnes?

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

The bigger issue here is the mental fortitude of English players not sticking it out and fulfilling their NRL contracts. In the last few years we’ve seen dozens of players come and go without making an impact, all seeking an early release to return to the comfort of the Super League and not fighting their way in the NRL. They know if the going gets tough in the NRL, they will always have a cushy gig in Super League. 

To me it is a mental weakness that you also see present in the England national team. Similarly, when the going gets tough at test level, the players give up, knowing they will still have a cushy gig in Super League. No wonder England/GB haven’t won a series v Australia in almost 50 years.

Name me the “dozens of players” mate please?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

 Australia's draconian travel laws. 

that will be the ones that got covid sorted ages ago and fans back in the grounds without masks or distancing while we still listen to echoing commentary on chorley fm thanks to our stance on travel during the crisis

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Name me the “dozens of players” mate please?

Not just players dozens of England internationals apparently. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

that will be the ones that got covid sorted ages ago and fans back in the grounds without masks or distancing while we still listen to echoing commentary on chorley fm thanks to our stance on travel during the crisis

To be fair Australia (and especially NZ) arnt really on the world travel routes. The UK along with France is the most visited country in the world and London is a major world city - all the cities in oz are at best medium sized cites and the whole country isn't really on the world map - its easier to lock down Australia that it is Yorkshire....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

To be fair Australia (and especially NZ) arnt really on the world travel routes. The UK along with France is the most visited country in the world and London is a major world city - all the cities in oz are at best medium sized cites and the whole country isn't really on the world map - its easier to lock down Australia that it is Yorkshire....

Malham Cove > Uluru...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly in some cases the term "homesick" has been used/abused to cover other issues.  We've seen Aussies in SL suddenly become "homesick" when they get an NRL offer. Some Brits in the NRL (I can't name dozens over the past 20 years because that's made up regardless of whether they stayed or left) have become "homesick" as soon as they look like being left in reserve grade.

However, there are always going to be actual cases of guys finding it genuinely difficult to live in a different country. As an expat who's live in Bris Vegas for over 20 years I can assure you there's a whole range of reactions to living here - from "I never want to go back to England even for a visit" right through to "I wish I'd never come here, I hate it and I'm going back home." And standard of living in a material/amenity sense is almost nothing to do with it either way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

Absolutely, can’t disagree with you. But the Aussies in Super League don’t play for the Kangaroos. They are generally guys whose rep careers are over, or others who aren’t really at that level.

we (as a game) see English players in the NRL as a way to strengthen the national team, but the lack of mental strength by so many of them - I’d wager more than 80% of English players who come to the NRL run home before their contract is out.
This isn’t targeting Williams individually either - he is just one of many. 

Talking about mental strength I don't think the Aussies have much of that either. The game in Aussie is gradualy being taken over by Pacific Islanders who have a more rugged approach to the game, Maybe that's why so many Aussies   don't make the grade.

I used to watch every game in the NRL but I'm more choosey now. I prefer to watch SL.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

that will be the ones that got covid sorted ages ago and fans back in the grounds without masks or distancing while we still listen to echoing commentary on chorley fm thanks to our stance on travel during the crisis

The ones that forced Victorian football teams to relocate you mean?

But otherwise what is your point?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, frank said:

Talking about mental strength I don't think the Aussies have much of that either. The game in Aussie is gradualy being taken over by Pacific Islanders who have a more rugged approach to the game, Maybe that's why so many Aussies   don't make the grade.

I used to watch every game in the NRL but I'm more choosey now. I prefer to watch SL.

 

A significant number of those Pacific Islanders are Aussies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2021 at 11:17, goldcoaster said:

The bigger issue here is the mental fortitude of English players not sticking it out and fulfilling their NRL contracts. In the last few years we’ve seen dozens of players come and go without making an impact, all seeking an early release to return to the comfort of the Super League and not fighting their way in the NRL. They know if the going gets tough in the NRL, they will always have a cushy gig in Super League. 

To me it is a mental weakness that you also see present in the England national team. Similarly, when the going gets tough at test level, the players give up, knowing they will still have a cushy gig in Super League. No wonder England/GB haven’t won a series v Australia in almost 50 years.

Josh Addo Carr the current NSW & Australian winger and the scorer of 6 tries today has been pushing for a move back home to Sydney for 2 yrs now,must be mentally weak eh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Josh Addo Carr the current NSW & Australian winger and the scorer of 6 tries today has been pushing for a move back home to Sydney for 2 yrs now,must be mentally weak eh.

Or a big Salary increase?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...