Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The clubs are playing bully but if the players push back then what ? They can’t drop or sack them despite their bluster and any sanction against players wanting to play in a World Cup will look terrible . 

The NRL hold all the cards with regards to players in Australia.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

We have gone from a Confederations Cup on a four year cycle, the biggest Mens/Womens/Wheelchair World Cup in history with £25m government funding, 2025 World Cup in USA and Canada.....

.... to a 2 day 9s tournament and no World Cup at all. Plus a bankrupt IRL.

We literally get what we deserve!

Yep, I think I'm done with the sport now. It's a cool sport, but has zero ambition and run by dinosaurs determined to keep it stuck in small pool and take it back to the 60s/70s, rather than look to future. It's so frustrating to watch any attempts to move the sport forwards be destroyed by greed and self interest. 

RL in this country is no better sadly. 

I'm off to find sports with growth and ambition. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think the RL coup d'état is now in plain sight!

This on the back of Richardson's report that contained an attack on the IRL and how to protect the NRL - which some idiot journos and fans celebrated here because it called SL rubbish.

• Like 7

Just now, Dave T said:

This on the back of Richardson's report that contained an attack on the IRL and how to protect the NRL - which some idiot journos and fans celebrated here because it called SL rubbish.

Word for word that report followed what was said previously about scrapping mid season internationals etc and was the preamble for what we are seeing now. It was all part of the drip feeding that we have seen for some time culminating in the action we are now seeing.

• Like 3

It’s just so depressing . What a great World Cup this was set to be , a great showcase as we emerge from the depths of the pandemic , backing from the top , fantastic competitiveness , great organisation . And the NRL commission and clubs stick a pin in it by withdrawing the Anzacs , and coercing the other Southern Hemisphere teams and basically all their players to pull out just to make sure .  Im just disgusted by them and how they’ve used COVID as a cover and starting point for their wider purpose of garnering control . I just can’t get my head around it , there’s no justification at all for not having the World Cup and if it’s off it’ll be a fault line people won’t forget . I won’t watch another NRL game this season if they cause this , it’s bloody disgraceful after all the hard work and will of organisers supporters and yes players 

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Word for word that report followed what was said previously about scrapping mid season internationals etc and was the preamble for what we are seeing now. It was all part of the drip feeding that we have seen for some time culminating in the action we are now seeing.

It was one of the first times an NRL official had come out and criticised the IRL as being a puppet of the RFL and publicly showing aggression to the efforts of the RFL to stage international development. They have then gone and trumped it and gone all out. 

Richardson and Gould are both key people in this, both NRL club officials - and based on their ramblings, absolutely bat- crazy and deluded.

• Like 2

The NBA is bigger than the Basketball WC/Olympics, but you don't see them thinking they're bigger than the sport and trying to destroy international competition. The NRL are embarrassing. Destroying IRL to save their precious SOO, yet why would any Kiwis/Fijians/English/French want to play RL if there's no potential for them to have representative honours? 

• Like 1

As much as I enjoy watching the PI nations if they are to fall under the NRL spell, as laughable as the National Rugby League running the international game is, then maybe a split is needed. Lets Australia do as they wish in the Pacific with their heritage teams and the rest stay with the IRL. That is basically what has been happening anyway. As things stand no one gets any benefit of these heritage teams outside of World Cups anyway.

Also from an international perspective the Aussies and NZ do actually need us, England is what usually makes international RL pay whether that is tours or the World Cup. The NRL may hold all the cards when it comes to domestic competitions with their power and finance but in terms of the international game that is not the case. 

If this doesn't make England and the RFL realise that they have to do everything they can do to develop Wales and France in particular, as well as the wider European game, then nothing will. As unpopular as it is to some on here that requires a co-ordinated approach with the domestic game to build the necessary pool of players and clubs. We know that heritage sides can be produced by Ireland and Scotland in the short term. That is 5 clubs and we can create a viable European scene with that. Wake up and smell the coffee RFL while you can still do something about it.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Play RU: Internationals, World Cup, European club competitions, Olympics, domestic competitions.

Play RL: Play for your club, play SOO (if you're from NSW/Queensland). 

and this is what will strangle RL in a professional guise in the NH.

IF there is no international scene. What does this mean for players? You hear it time and time again that international RL is the pinnacle of the game and drives a lot of players' ambitions in the UK... So if there is no international calendar. No England/GB tours and tournaments. What happens to those players? Suck it up and accept club RL is as good as it gets... No doubt you'll see a number move to RU (a la RTS). Further weakening our club game and the spiral takes effect. Reduced star names, reduced incomes and a slow painful demise.

Or do we get some kind of consensus today with the RFL meeting. Some kind of rally from all stakeholders in the UK (&France) that understand we have to do this ourselves. We have to lead the way and think about the bigger picture to ensure that RL grows in the UK, in the NH and support a structure that allows for it.

Personally, I havent seen many examples of it being the latter in my lifetime in RL and that is what makes this all so very sad... Do I think we are capable of the change needed to do this? Probably not is my honest answer at this moment.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Richardson a month ago said:

The International Rugby League (IRL) is a body that should have an important role in the development of the international game. It doesn't. The breakdown started a long time ago when the ARL controlled and dominated the IG. They were not about growing the game but more concerned about the ARL and their clubs. Vested interests, blazers and overseas trips. It left a bitter taste in the RFL's mouth and justifiably so. When they had the opportunity to get the numbers and control, it was hardly surprising that they tried to set up a system of control in the Northern Hemisphere despite 75% of players being in the Southern Hemisphere.

Australia's apathy for and mistrust in the management allowed them to control the system. They appointed a CEO based in London with no knowledge of the game or its politics. He was simply a puppet of the management’s “vision”. It became commercial suicide. Pouring money into European nations for little or no return. International games which were all mostly about money and political support, but in reality lost enormous amounts of money and smashed the IRL’s credibility with the ARLC. The World Cup is the only event that has kept the IRL afloat and it is in jeopardy. The reality is that 75% of participants in rugby league come from Australia, NZ and the Pacific Islands. To be fair, the investment of the ARLC in NZ and the Pacific Islands has fostered the game and improved it dramatically in those areas.This could not have been done without the support of the NRL clubs. To say that they don't support the IG is rubbish. What they don't support is the constant requests for their players without consultation and a business plan for IGs going forward.

Now Gould says we should disband the IRL.

People should stop talking about Covid - it is out there what the issue is. 

Gould also says that the NRL and NZRL never thought we would stage it as the Olympics saw fit to delay it for 12m. He ignores the fact that the Olympics is on now, 3m before the RLWC is due to be staged. 

People like to make out people like this are clever, and playing the game, or trolling. I am finding it hard to lok past the fact that some people are really, really dumb.

• Like 6

Im not sure I can put into words (well ones that will pass the swear filter) how much I am disillusioned/annoyed, downright disgusted with the way the ARLC, NZRL and the NRL have acted. It's clear to everyone what their motives are and they are so backward and insular, and they worst thing is they don't care, what they don't seem to realise is, not that many people outside of the eastern side of Australia, know or care about the NRL or SOO, but people do care about a World Cup, Im absolutely fuming to be honest.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think the RL coup d'état is now in plain sight!

This has always been their view. They've just acted like a bunch of sh!thouses to get to this position. They are the modern day News Corp. in the SL war.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Wouldn't the teams that don't get past the group stages or quarter finals go home? Not all 500 stay until the final.

The quarter finals are on November 12 and the Final is on 27th. That's two weeks later.

That’s a month though isn’t it?

Im not defending their argument, but I do think it’s genuine from their side. The Aussies are in lockdown with just 100 covid cases daily, they play NRL games in one geographic location. It’s totally different to here (though I do remember last year that there was talk of the Premier League having similar bubbles, with games being played in just a few stadiums). We’ve since become a lot more relaxed about the situation, something the Aussies have not.

Of course if the RLWC was a much bigger deal than it is now it’s possible the Aussies would have more leeway with this decision. This is the problem with the NRL being so dominant in the sport. It’s not that far off NFL in that to all intents and purposes it is the only show in town, and because of that they will always put it first.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

As much as I enjoy watching the PI nations if they are to fall under the NRL spell, as laughable as the National Rugby League running the international game is, then maybe a split is needed. Lets Australia do as they wish in the Pacific with their heritage teams and the rest stay with the IRL. That is basically what has been happening anyway. As things stand no one gets any benefit of these heritage teams outside of World Cups anyway.

Also from an international perspective the Aussies and NZ do actually need us, England is what usually makes international RL pay whether that is tours or the World Cup. The NRL may hold all the cards when it comes to domestic competitions with their power and finance but in terms of the international game that is not the case. 

If this doesn't make England and the RFL realise that they have to do everything they can do to develop Wales and France in particular, as well as the wider European game, then nothing will. As unpopular as it is to some on here that requires a co-ordinated approach with the domestic game to build the necessary pool of players and clubs. We know that heritage sides can be produced by Ireland and Scotland in the short term. That is 5 clubs and we can create a viable European scene with that. Wake up and smell the coffee RFL while you can still do something about it.

I certainly agree with the sentiment Damien, the big problem is that in reality, the standard of the Home Nations teams is poor and no real signs of that improving - particularly if you strip out NRL players. There is definitely more that can be done, but I worry if ther becomes a formal NH/SH divide.

• Like 1

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/kangaroos/international-rugby-league-in-line-for-huge-boost-with-kangaroos-tour-and-pacific-tests-in-2019/news-story/3155632df64806de390f0869f72bd1d1

I knew the NRL had proposed things in the past and this is as good as I can find in relation to what they were proposing in 2018. Now, it’s not terrible, IMO. There’s a few tweaks we’d all make, I imagine but that wouldn’t have been a disaster of a schedule. 

Obviously that doesn’t account for pandemics or a change in ARL chairman, who is likely to have his own ideas. I’m certainly not advocating the coup d’état but I can see a proposal coming in the next six months or so, so we’re going to have to listen. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DC77 said:

That’s a month though isn’t it?

Im not defending their argument, but I do think it’s genuine from their side. The Aussies are in lockdown with just 100 covid cases daily, they play NRL games in one geographic location. It’s totally different to here (though I do remember last year that there was talk of the Premier League having similar bubbles, with games being played in just a few stadiums). We’ve since become a lot more relaxed about the situation, something the Aussies have not.

Of course if the RLWC was a much bigger deal than it is now it’s possible the Aussies would have more leeway with this decision. This is the problem with the NRL being so dominant in the sport. It’s not that far off NFL in that to all intents and purposes it is the only show in town, and because of that they will always put it first.

Why are you ignoring two prominent club officials attacking the IRL?

This is not a genuine concern - they are doing literally everything they can to keep the NRL and Origin on, they are doing everything they can to cancel the RLWC.

• Like 2

In the majority of sports representing your country should be the highlight of your career and a world Cup an unforgettable experience. Young kids will often be inspired by watching these big events and the interest they generate can be huge in terms of media coverage, sponsorship and raising a sports profile. The stance taken by the NRL is inexcusable and detrimental to the growth and future of our sport.  I fear that the lack of International opportunities will make our sport less attractive to young kids and may see existing players look at union as a more attractive proposition as they can test their skills and achieve a higher profile on a much larger stage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

It`s a little baffling why some posters are seeing this as cause to abandon their general interest in Rugby League.

That would be to succumb to the very presumptuous belief that we`re castigating the NRL for. Namely, that the NRL owns Rugby League.

Abandon the NRL. They love money what market can they tap if they lose the UK.

• Like 3