Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

9 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

And guarantee player welfare of course.

"We owe it to our players to optimise their safety in these difficult and trying times"

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"We owe it to our players to optimise their safety in these difficult and trying times"

"This will mean we also need to postpone the start and end of the 2022 season so have asked the RLWC be further postponed until 2023"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

"This will mean we also need to postpone the start and end of the 2022 season so have asked the RLWC be further postponed until 2023"

That was actually Gould's response when somebody said the WC can't compete against the FIFA equivalent in 2022.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Absolutely agree on both parts in bold. The mix for me would be when our SH "friends" come over... (and they will as there is money to be made on a nation vs nation Test Series). Then your NW, NE & ANO is a perfect fit.

France et al... I'd be a little bit bolder and take it to those development areas, where ever they may be.

I do think modest London grounds should be good for the likes of France. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Watt said:

Yesterday all 16 NRL clubs supported the NRL and NZRL board decision not to attend the WC. They all  want the competition to be played next year.

Where the same money wont be on the table and it will be lost in the other, bigger world cup.

They actually just don't want it played at all. Watching watch NRL they arent even bothering to talk  about this; doesn't get mentioned on their daily NRL 360, NRL tonight etc programmes... and theyve cancelled all their games today because of covid. !

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Matterhorn said:

I just heard the 3 remaining NRL subscription holders in the UK were devastated when they woke to this news today.

So I signed up for a year a couple of months ago! 

I've just emailed them and told them they Murdoch needs to at least give me my money back for this morning.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Matterhorn said:

I just heard the 3 remaining NRL subscription holders in the UK were devastated when they woke to this news today.

I'm guessing one of them is Adrian Lam.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Where the same money wont be on the table and it will be lost in the other, bigger world cup.

They actually just don't want it played at all. Watching watch NRL they arent even bothering to talk  about this; doesn't get mentioned on their daily NRL 360, NRL tonight etc programmes... and theyve cancelled all their games today because of covid. !

Another risk of postponing, will they come next year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

2023 is the Union World Cup, so it'll have to be moved to 2024 instead. 

1 hour ago, thebrewxi said:

They don't want internationals played period. They just want NRL and SOO. Good luck with that when the best players leave for union in droves.

• Like 3

Could it be that the Aussies played there last ever game in England in 2016?

Will we be able to carry on without them?

I'd hope common sense would be applied, but it's disappearing into the distance. 

Depressing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

This is worth reading, from the very reputable Robert Burgin 

Spot on and echoes what I've been saying for years. The NRL want to destroy internationals, as they see it as a threat to their beloved NRL and SOO, even though it's the same sport. They will come for SL next, as they don't want any competition. I've been saying for years they want to be like the NFL, the only problem is the NFL is a global product and the US is a much bigger market than Australia. They're essentially a poor man's AFL now. 

I thought at first, that this decision was an emotional outburst by Vlandys (with little forethought) following the news that the World Cup would go ahead, whether they were in it or not.

Now, I'm convinced it was premeditated and carefully planned some time ago and timed precisely, to cause the maximum damage to the IRL and the RLWC organisers.

This is a coup d'etat like any other and the perpetrators are just as ruthless.

I'm still hoping that they can be turned back but when it comes to influencing the players and public opinion, (our only hope) they have demonstrated a quite breathtaking control of the flow of information (the press) during this whole affair. A control which would be the envy of Kim Jong-un.

Where are the Australian investigative journalists? Where are the honest newspapers who stand for truth and transparency and fully integrated story telling? Are there none? Is freedom of the press a thing of the past in the Antipodes?

It seems they are well positioned to silently kowtow to the Chinese when they (invade) come ashore in Port Darwin. 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Thanks 1

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic