Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Remember as things stand we still have Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG etc. at the moment. 

It depends if it's the NRL clubs or the individual country's governing bodies that are actually behind the decision. I personally don't think any SH nations will be coming 

For the neutral non-RL sports fan who might switch on the World Cup - will they actually know the difference of the Aussies or NZ aren’t there?

Maybe the so called lesser teams might provide more entertainment. They can certainly match the English side.

Of course, this won’t change the fact that the stadiums will probably be pretty empty, which looks awful on TV. Maybe we could just sell all tickets super cheap for most group matches in the hope of attracting new fans who just want a sporting experience after 18 months locked away. Could work? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

To add to this - the event I was looking forward to most this winter was the opener vs Samoa at Newcastle. Then some of the women's games to introduce my daughter to the sport. Then giving the wheelchair event a try. 

Then loads of other 'lesser' nations. 

Maybe the Aussies and Kiwis on tv if I wasn't busy. 

I am convinced the Aussies wanted to strong arm us into cancelling it. They think they can flex their muscles like the old days and we will fold. What they failed to realise is that they have also crushed the dreams of dozens of wheelchair and women Aus/NZ players for no reason other than self serving rubbish.

I think the kickback from the Aussie and Kiwi women in particular will be huge. What would then be more bizarre would be the NRL/ARLC saying the women and wheelchair team can travel but it is not safe for grown men in their 20s and early 30s to go? 

We need to put on this World Cup - stay strong, invite the USA and Canada in their place and I think the country will get behind it in a big way. Timing is everything.

• Like 6

While it would be somewhat a hollow victory, part of me really wants the Australian and New Zealand wheelchair teams to say 'screw it, we are going'.

Those guys are absolute warriors and if they showed up to play it would expose the decision as exactly what it is... self serving NRL clubs not wanting their players away or in quarantine for two weeks affecting their pre-season.

• Like 4

"The¬†history of the world is the history of the triumph¬†of the heartless¬†over¬†the mindless." ‚ÄĒ Sir¬†Humphrey Appleby.

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is just the culmination of years of the Aussies inward attitude. 

The annual "will they, won't they" around the WCC, the refusal to host the Ashes, the undermining of the Denver test and now withdrawing from the marquee RL event. 

Maybe this will be a turning point in RL history. Maybe we will stage it and see that we can stage major events without them and fans get behind it, enjoy it and we move into a new phase in international RL. 

Some of us have been strongly warning about the road the NRL have been going down for years. It's been clear for some time that they are more concerned with controlling and restricting the international game than allowing it to grow.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Simon Johnson with a rallying call to players and coaches to speak up. I must admit he has impressed me today:

I have to say it’s a breath of fresh air hearing Simon speak about the World Cup. Comes across well.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

While it would be somewhat a hollow victory, part of me really wants the Australian and New Zealand wheelchair teams to say 'screw it, we are going'.

Those guys are absolute warriors and if they showed up to play it would expose the decision as exactly what it is... self serving NRL clubs not wanting their players away or in quarantine for two weeks affecting their pre-season.

Even better if the indigenous players followed suit as has been mooted. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

They can all look forward to paying compensation to the RFL if they signed up to come.

They could well face legal action - especially as full members of the IRL and with all the other national Australian and NZ sports teams travelling across the world without complaint.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

They could well face legal action - especially as full members of the IRL and with all the other national Australian and NZ sports teams travelling across the world without complaint.

This was something rumoured earlier in the week, that the NRL were looking for avenues to deem the WC as not proper international matches in order to withdraw without repercussion. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

10 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

They can all look forward to paying compensation to the RFL if they signed up to come.

It wouldn’t be the RFL; it would be the IRL wouldn’t it? 

(Would be better if it was the UK Government as the major backer of the tournament.)

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Indeed. They need to be with other countries who sighed to come and then changed their minds

25 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Idont claim to know the details behind all the games called off but Rochdale v Workington off because 11 players and three staff in the Rochdale camp tested positive for covid. So that debunks your claim that its all about tracing and not infections. 

And if it was to be all a matter of tracing, as you wrongly suggest, are you thinking we wont bother with tracing at a world cup?  Lets say half the squad of one team are exposed to an infectious person....never mind its the world cup so send them out there and hope for the best.

One example does not disprove all the other examples there have been where it is simply contact tracing. 

Mid August we don't need to isolate as a contact if double jabbed. 

Modelling is suggesting this won't be an issue come October.. unless a new super variant comes a long at which all bets are off anyway.. we are moving beyond the issues of this moment in time. 

Decisions made on today's data could/should be made to look very silly in 3 months which is why no other sport is making such a rash judgment about 3 months times today. 

• Like 1

I haven't read every post on this thread, but I have read a lot of it and I struggle to add much to what has been said.

When I got the email this morning I was quite angry, now on reflection I think I am just incredibly sad for the huge opportunity for our game that looks like being thrown away. I think, I am more upset with the Kiwi's, we spoke about this at Wembley and everyone thought the Aussies wouldn't come, but the attitude was stuff them, it'll still be great. The Kiwi's however signed participation agreement and now looks like they are going to break it. Without getting into politics, in life, if someone breaks a solemn promise it's a long time, if ever, when they are trusted again. For future tours, I'd be looking to Tonga, Samoa, Fiji or PNG. Of course they may eventually pull out, but that would be understandable now.

Even thinking about self interest, the NRL clubs are giving up an immense opportunity to showcase the talents in their competition. Australia is a relatively small economy in world terms and the market is finite, NZ is even smaller, this was a shop window and they've closed the blinds. How many people would watch? I don't know, neither do I know if any interest would be converted into commercial value for the NRL. What I do know is that number will be none if you don't give people the opportunity to find the game and, as others have said, a great way to generate interest is international competition.

I hope there is a U turn, but I fear there won't be, if these are the only two nations to drop out and we can still get Tonga, Samoa etc here then we should still go for it. If England win it, I'd be delighted and it wouldn't be more than a passing thought for the teams missing. I would guess if Tonga, Samoa or Fiji won it they'd be national heroes back home and nobody would care about Australia or New Zealand.

• Like 5

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

This was something rumoured earlier in the week, that the NRL were looking for avenues to deem the WC as not proper international matches in order to withdraw without repercussion. 

There will be repercussions for some teams who signed to come here and play in it. I guess the NRL will pay their bills

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

Some of us have been strongly warning about the road the NRL have been going down for years. It's been clear for some time that they are more concerned with controlling and restricting the international game than allowing it to grow.

You appear to be correct. I'll admit I hoped the ARLC could provide proper leadership of this sport, seems not. 

Just now, The Future is League said:

Indeed. They need to be with other countries who sighed to come and then changed their minds

Step 1 is bring action against NZ as they signed an argreement. Everyone else will fall into line at that move. Step 2 is to push Australian players into declaring for other nations. Step 3 is await the response once the NRL has had time to consider the wave of condemnation and knowledge their pre-season is affected anyway. 

Not saying it will work but that would be my gameplan.

• Like 4

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked this topic
  • John Drake unlocked this topic
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic