Jump to content

In case you missed GMR with Beaumont and Koukash


Recommended Posts


3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

To be fair, not having a railway station would make it a little more difficult to enter Leigh, it does put a barrier up so to speak.

I mean, if I want to go to say, Leeds, all I have to do is to jump on the train at Hull Station and I'm in Leeds in an hour of so. If I want to go to Leigh I have to negotiate a couple of trains and a guided busway which is definitely a more complicated way of gaining entry to a town. 

Anyway, I'm not being dragged into that again. 😉

Yes , but home fans don't need to come on a train , and as we know from posts on here , clubs don't need to bother about away fans , so what's the problem ? 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Can you be more specific? 🤔

Well it's a club (Hull KR) that was up for sale (Hull KR) then suddenly wasn't up for sale (Hull KR).......

 

 

 

 

Its Hull KR.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

He’s got more than one listing, chief. 

Years, but only for one active company, unless he has more than two listings,. Has he?

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, JohnM said:

Of course, in jest. Not having a railway station is not a barrier to entry....yet....😂

It should be.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, The Future is League said:

If Koukash is as rich as people claim why did he scrap the Salford Red Devils academy?

It wasn't quite as straightforward as him just deciding one day to scrap the academy.

Salford's academy received a poor rating at the RFL's 2015/16 review, and the club was told they wouldn't be allowed to compete in the top level academy competition. In the preceding few years, their academy had produced a number of players who went on to become full-time professionals, and even full internationals, so, I guess the reasons for the poor rating were due to the management of the academy rather than the quality of the players it was producing.

Marwan then claimed he spent a considerable sum of money correcting those failings, and asked the RFL to reassess. The RFL refused. This meant the club would have to fund their academy themselves (£100,000 per year, Marwan claimed) without any help from the RFL, and that they wouldn't be able to compete against other Super League academies. This would remain the case for the next five years, until the next round of academy assessments. Inevitably, this would mean young players in the area would have better prospects elsewhere, meaning Salford would be paying out to run a substandard academy playing at a lower level, and to the detriment of spending on the first team squad.

Marwan felt this was unsustainable, and so disbanded the academy.

Now, if Marwan addressed me by name, I'd feel compelled to check my driving licence to make sure it was true, but, in this case, this sorry tale seemed to be confirmed by the club's then performance director, so there may well be some truth in it.

Interestingly, at the same meeting where he related all of this, he said he planned to form a joint academy with Leigh, thus marking the start of his five year - and still ongoing -  journey of always being "about the get involved with Leigh".

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

It wasn't quite as straightforward as him just deciding one day to scrap the academy.

Salford's academy received a poor rating at the RFL's 2015/16 review, and the club was told they wouldn't be allowed to compete in the top level academy competition. In the preceding few years, their academy had produced a number of players who went on to become full-time professionals, and even full internationals, so, I guess the reasons for the poor rating were due to the management of the academy rather than the quality of the players it was producing.

Marwan then claimed he spent a considerable sum of money correcting those failings, and asked the RFL to reassess. The RFL refused. This meant the club would have to fund their academy themselves (£100,000 per year, Marwan claimed) without any help from the RFL, and that they wouldn't be able to compete against other Super League academies. This would remain the case for the next five years, until the next round of academy assessments. Inevitably, this would mean young players in the area would have better prospects elsewhere, meaning Salford would be paying out to run a substandard academy playing at a lower level, and to the detriment of spending on the first team squad.

Marwan felt this was unsustainable, and so disbanded the academy.

Now, if Marwan addressed me by name, I'd feel compelled to check my driving licence to make sure it was true, but, in this case, this sorry tale seemed to be confirmed by the club's then performance director, so there may well be some truth in it.

Interestingly, at the same meeting where he related all of this, he said he planned to form a joint academy with Leigh, thus marking the start of his five year - and still ongoing -  journey of always being "about the get involved with Leigh".

IF he does get involved with Leigh it will be interesting to see what role he has and how that role progresses with hin in it. It also might be interesting to see how he gets on with Dexy as neither will be the kingpin. A role both of them like to have. Which one's ego will go first

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

IF he does get involved with Leigh it will be interesting to see what role he has and how that role progresses with hin in it. It also might be interesting to see how he gets on with Dexy as neither will be the kingpin. A role both of them like to have. Which one's ego will go first

Should be fun 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good listen that. Concur completely by having less games (especially if it’s a 10 team league). Nine games home and away, that makes it much easier to build up games.

It’s common sense but when you have so many games it waters down the competition, games mean less (opposite of “every minute matters” kidology) so there isn’t that same desire to attend or watch. Owners want more games as they are thinking about the number of gate receipts, a short-sighted attitude which dilutes the product.

Less games also allows for players to get proper rest/recuperation, and room for an international window. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

Good listen that. Concur completely by having less games (especially if it’s a 10 team league). Nine games home and away, that makes it much easier to build up games.

It’s common sense but when you have so many games it waters down the competition, games mean less (opposite of “every minute matters” kidology) so there isn’t that same desire to attend or watch. Owners want more games as they are thinking about the number of gate receipts, a short-sighted attitude which dilutes the product.

Less games also allows for players to get proper rest/recuperation, and room for an international window. 

I 100% guarantee that 9 home games will not cover the 40k crowds some clubs would lose. Or the hospitality, or TV figures, or sponsorship. 

100%

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I 100% guarantee that 9 home games will not cover the 40k crowds some clubs would lose. Or the hospitality, or TV figures, or sponsorship. 

100%

Nine might be too small, and I’m sure those in the game have done their sums. However, having less games definitely elevates each one. When “every minute really does matter“ you are making it a much more sellable product. 

Right now there’s too many games, especially so given it’s such a tough, physical sport. Binning the loop fixture should be mission #1. Trim all the padding down to the point the number of games is still viable for clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DC77 said:

Nine might be too small, and I’m sure those in the game have done their sums. However, having less games definitely elevates each one. When “every minute really does matter“ you are making it a much more sellable product. 

Right now there’s too many games, especially so given it’s such a tough, physical sport. Binning the loop fixture should be mission #1. Trim all the padding down to the point the number of games is still viable for clubs.

14 guaranteed home games a year isn't excessive. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/08/2021 at 03:52, lucky 7 said:

IF he does get involved with Leigh it will be interesting to see what role he has and how that role progresses with hin in it. It also might be interesting to see how he gets on with Dexy as neither will be the kingpin. A role both of them like to have. Which one's ego will go first

My moneys on one of them won't be at Leigh come the start of 2023 season. Both have giant egos and both like to be the Kingpin, and you can't have 2 kingpins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, The Future is League said:

My moneys on one of them won't be at Leigh come the start of 2023 season. Both have giant egos and both like to be the Kingpin, and you can't have 2 kingpins

You really know #### Adams dont you!! These two are great mates in real life, with a respect for each other beyond  dick measuring. Two equal owners is often a problem but it depends on the ambitions they are pooling resources to achieve - last nights rumour was a £10m war chest to bring SL stability with a substantial academy investment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

You really know #### Adams dont you!! These two are great mates in real life, with a respect for each other beyond  dick measuring. Two equal owners is often a problem but it depends on the ambitions they are pooling resources to achieve - last nights rumour was a £10m war chest to bring SL stability with a substantial academy investment.

£10m war chest

LOL

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

You really know #### Adams dont you!! These two are great mates in real life, with a respect for each other beyond  dick measuring. Two equal owners is often a problem but it depends on the ambitions they are pooling resources to achieve - last nights rumour was a £10m war chest to bring SL stability with a substantial academy investment.

Why now and not earlier?  his 10m war chest could have saved your season 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why can't everyone read between the lines here ?

If it's about licensing, Beaumont and Cash cow will be amongst the front runnerst. No Hilton Park. No Belleville View or Wheldon Rd to sell as part of the deal.

Although I loved playing at both, both grounds are dumps and none of the big cheeses have done what HKR have done and modernised a windy dump into a really good RFL stadium. LSV is one fantastic facility and one of the best grounds in SL. Anyone who states different is just a muppett! 

The game needs cash. It isn't there anymore so the wallowers for 20 with no ambition need now to disappear.

If we don't change, RL will die. If the fat cats of the SL clubs who constantly win everything don't want to change, find another toy to play with. A yo-yo soon gets boring !

I don't think Beaumont is bothered whether Leigh go down or not. He is however wanting to keep the game alive unlike others who are happy with status quo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Why now and not earlier?  his 10m war chest could have saved your season 

It's easy to mock, but I'm sure this is merely a case of him not quite having all the finances in place yet.

He just needs to sell a few bridges to Leythers first.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...