Jump to content

Salford to move to Moor Lane?


The Daddy
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Best of luck to Salford. I don’t have a problem with them only having a 5k capacity if/when they move to Moor Lane. If they can fill it regularly it will show there is some potential there for growth. Maybe with a team performing well on the pitch they could at some point look to take a few games to bigger stadia. Here’s hoping.

Admirable sentiments but if Salford couldn’t even come close to filling the AJ Bell when they *were* performing well on the pitch, why would they need to take games to bigger stadia in a year or two?

The time to step back, move to a smaller ground and regroup is maybe after a relegation, not while you are still in the top flight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5K filled every week would be great but here is the link to the stadium/facilities The-Peninsula-Stadium-Guide.pdf (salfordcityfc.co.uk) Take a minute to look at the ground and the parking sections.

Parking will be a nightmare, and as far as I can see has not been considered - but that just affects matchday fans!!!!

Look at the shallow seating/terrace and tell me what the commentary position will be for Sky or indeed any decent viewing cameras?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Best of luck to Salford. I don’t have a problem with them only having a 5k capacity if/when they move to Moor Lane. If they can fill it regularly it will show there is some potential there for growth. Maybe with a team performing well on the pitch they could at some point look to take a few games to bigger stadia. Here’s hoping.

I'm not sure what the growth is here? Not sure where the "well performing team" will come from.

History can recall the Snape days when Manchester soccer stars would turn up to games, then the John Wilkinson days where money from Cebora Ltd bolstered the team, then Koukash who seemingly found bankrolling the Reds too difficult probably because his businesses didn't do that much.

They've had decades of low crowds (somewhere around 4K) regardless of any successes and they face a large drop in TV money with nobody wealthy enough to plug those financial holes. Their task is the same as Wakefield's tends to be and that is year on year avoid that bottom spot. I don't particularly "hope" they stay up because I'm then hoping another club will go down.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

5K filled every week would be great but here is the link to the stadium/facilities The-Peninsula-Stadium-Guide.pdf (salfordcityfc.co.uk) Take a minute to look at the ground and the parking sections.

Parking will be a nightmare, and as far as I can see has not been considered - but that just affects matchday fans!!!!

Look at the shallow seating/terrace and tell me what the commentary position will be for Sky or indeed any decent viewing cameras?

All these things were discussed at the fans forum

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Look at the shallow seating/terrace and tell me what the commentary position will be for Sky or indeed any decent viewing cameras?

EFL seem to get coverage from there every other week as required.

Does rugby league need special cameras?

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With due respect to Salford, could you imagine if Wakefield or Huddersfield had put forward a solution to play at Dewsbury in the SL in future? The reaction from all circles would have been exactly the same.

It is not the move it is the elite competition potentially placing the bar so low that the move is permitted. 

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

The time to step back, move to a smaller ground and regroup is maybe after a relegation, not while you are still in the top flight. 

The time to step back, move to a smaller ground and regroup is - regardless of what league you are in - when you about to be made homeless and have no other option.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BladeHearts said:

I might be missing something here, but Moor Lane looks like a pretty tidy stadium, which is a perfect capacity for Salford’s current crowds and seems to have scope for a moderate amount of future development.

 

Nope you’re not missing anything. As everyone has admitted it is not perfect - but it is absolutely fine. Tight little stadium that creates a good atmosphere.

Some of the comments that it is a joke or disgrace that SL should be playing here are way over the top and those posters have clearly never been to the likes of Trailfinders!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Scubby said:

With due respect to Salford, could you imagine if Wakefield or Huddersfield had put forward a solution to play at Dewsbury in the SL in future? The reaction from all circles would have been exactly the same.

It is not the move it is the elite competition potentially placing the bar so low that the move is permitted. 

Which begs the question, will we ever see a return to licensing?

What would the 'Criteria' to qualify for the selection process look like, how lenient would it be, or would it be done in the knowledge that a number of teams would simply not be up to the standard required.

You make a very good point with your suggestion of the standards and the height of the bar to hurdle.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, theswanmcr said:

Nope you’re not missing anything. As everyone has admitted it is not perfect - but it is absolutely fine. Tight little stadium that creates a good atmosphere.

Some of the comments that it is a joke or disgrace that SL should be playing here are way over the top and those posters have clearly never been to the likes of Trailfinders!

I don't think using the Trailfinders as a comparison answers any questions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

5K filled every week would be great but here is the link to the stadium/facilities The-Peninsula-Stadium-Guide.pdf (salfordcityfc.co.uk) Take a minute to look at the ground and the parking sections.

Parking will be a nightmare, and as far as I can see has not been considered - but that just affects matchday fans!!!!

Look at the shallow seating/terrace and tell me what the commentary position will be for Sky or indeed any decent viewing cameras?

The club are currently looking at options around Moor Lane, they have also confirmed that Park and ride schemes would be used.

 

Re TV cameras, cub have confirmed that a  gantry would be built on top of one of the current stands, both confirmed at the fans forum.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Which begs the question, will we ever see a return to licensing?

What would the 'Criteria' to qualify for the selection process look like, how lenient would it be, or would it be done in the knowledge that a number of teams would simply not be up to the standard required.

You make a very good point with your suggestion of the standards and the height of the bar to hurdle.

 

it was trying to meet the criteria last time meant Salford moved to AJ Bell. Other clubs didn't meet them but that wasn't an issue for them.

I think no matter what Salford decide there will be some bashing going on here, often those shouting the loudest support clubs that have also had previous insolvencies, or benefited from other "deal"

 

The current board are working hard to resolve many of the issues, there will be an academy, a woman's team. A pathfinder programme has been established and the development foundation are working with a large number of schools in Greater Manchester some of which have never played RL. 

It is early days but I would hope that the RL community would support this as good new rather than the usual tribal nonsense.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

The current board are working hard to resolve many of the issues, there will be an academy, a woman's team. A pathfinder programme has been established and the development foundation are working with a large number of schools in Greater Manchester some of which have never played RL. 

I think if all of this happens then people will be a lot more positive about Salford. It isn't just about the ground and is the full package as a club and all of this is certainly a step in the right dircetion.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Were any solutions forthcoming ?

Ground- upgrades to floodlights & TV Gantry (SL has higher standards than EFL) and raised advertising hoardings. Due diligence suggests v feasible/affordable. Discussions ongoing with architects/construction sector about increasing capacity to between 6.5k and 8k (can build up, not out) subject to planning permission (PP not expected to be major obstacle, more dependent on what we are quoted for the work).

 

Car parking: Ample parking for disabled supporters but recognition of the general problem. Discussions ongoing with several local parties (presumably schools/the council) about parking opportunities in the immediate vicinity. Discussions with local junior clubs and others about park and ride schemes. 

Edited by Ray Cashmere
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Ground- upgrades to floodlights & TV Gantry (SL has higher standards than EFL) and raised advertising hoardings. Due diligence suggests v feasible/affordable. Discussions ongoing with architects/construction sector about increasing capacity to between 6.5k and 8k (can build up, not out) subject to planning permission (PP not expected to be major obstacle, more dependent on what we are quoted for the work).

From photos you'd be looking at the North Stand for expansion, build up and back towards the road with the back of the stand open at ground level for access to the other sides. You could probably do the same with the West also.

As has been said above you'd build a camera gantry on top of probably the South Stand so you're pointing at the bigger stand where most people sit (pet hate of mine when clubs position their camera in a bigger stand). 

Edited by DI Keith Fowler
  • Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think if all of this happens then people will be a lot more positive about Salford. It isn't just about the ground and is the full package as a club and all of this is certainly a step in the right dircetion.

the club have a development academy now run in conjunction with Eccles college, the club are currently looking at eventually turning this into a fully fledged CAT A Academy, we were refused 1 last time along with Leigh. we also have a womens team for net year with trials held a couple of weeks ago circa 60 people turned up for trials and the club have selected a squad from those who participated. club are also now setting up both LDRL and PDRL teams aswell as the obvious reserves. 

the link up we have developed with the welsh RL has already resulted in 3 lads getting into UCLAN doing degrees whilst continuing paying for the Salford reserves, again all done through the current Salford directors 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Admirable sentiments but if Salford couldn’t even come close to filling the AJ Bell when they *were* performing well on the pitch, why would they need to take games to bigger stadia in a year or two?

The time to step back, move to a smaller ground and regroup is maybe after a relegation, not while you are still in the top flight. 

Salford didn’t come close to filling the AJ Bell when they performing well because in the year after the Grand Final and the year of the Challenge Cup Final, covid meant that crowds were not permitted!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Salford didn’t come close to filling the AJ Bell when they performing well because in the year after the Grand Final and the year of the Challenge Cup Final, covid meant that crowds were not permitted!!

But history shows they have never had big crowds, so why is it going to happen now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

The time to step back, move to a smaller ground and regroup is - regardless of what league you are in - when you about to be made homeless and have no other option.

But Salford were first into that stadium, they really should be calling the shots. Not being evicted by a bunch of knobs like Sale and a tinpot football club. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

Salford didn’t come close to filling the AJ Bell when they performing well because in the year after the Grand Final and the year of the Challenge Cup Final, covid meant that crowds were not permitted!!

Certainly looks like a few black cats have been run over doesn't it ? 

Timing is everything , good and bad 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...