Jump to content

Less than 20,000 sold for Cup Semi Triple Header it seems


Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I agree that is where we are (maybe not 90%), but the challenge is that it shouldn't be the case. 

RL isn't unique in that you can only enjoy it if your ancestors did, its the fact we don't really try to grow outside of that. The segment you refer to are the easy ones, the cheap to sell to fans, the core base. To go beyond that it costs time, effort and money, but the rewards are real. 

Yes, I was going to put into my post the time, effort and money that would be required to change things around, but are the last two viable in our sport especially by the governing body I can't comment on the first one but tge few times we here anything from them doesn't give the impression that they are overworked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Strong figures for

on

yesterday. 900k peak watched Wigan v Sts, averaged at 700k.

Women’s final peaked at 300k, with average 200k.

Huddersfield v HullKR peaked at 700k and averaged at 600k.

 I thought it looked pretty good.

 

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, lingaro said:

21500 when Fev and Leeds played at Elland Road in 1995.  

I went to this game as a neutral supporting Featherstone. I used to go regularly to the semis at Leeds.

However this was the first one where it was an uneven playing field - the smaller teams could no longer compete against the big clubs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Strong figures for

on

yesterday. 900k peak watched Wigan v Sts, averaged at 700k.

Women’s final peaked at 300k, with average 200k.

Huddersfield v HullKR peaked at 700k and averaged at 600k.

 I thought it looked pretty good.

 

Decent, and good to see the second game carried over most of the audience from the first, despite a chamnel switch and teatime. Averaging 650k across 4 hours of rugby is something substantial to show broadcasters and sponsors. 

If the BBC puts the promotional effort in, I hope this puts us on track for peaks of 1.5m for the CCF, 2m for the England group games in the world cup, 2.5m for the knockouts and... if we were to make the final... 3m+, which I think would be a record for the multichannel era. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Strong figures for

on

yesterday. 900k peak watched Wigan v Sts, averaged at 700k.

Women’s final peaked at 300k, with average 200k.

Huddersfield v HullKR peaked at 700k and averaged at 600k.

 I thought it looked pretty good.

 

Stuff like this makes me delighted and angry in equal measure.  Delighted because it shows when exposed to the product people get glued to it. 

Angry because our sport has never capitalised on the fact that this combined with a serious international tournament on FTA and we actually have an amazing product to sell. 

One SL game a week on FTA, challenge cup on Beeb and month long end of season internationals in Europe and we'd be laughing. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Decent, and good to see the second game carried over most of the audience from the first, despite a chamnel switch and teatime. Averaging 650k across 4 hours of rugby is something substantial to show broadcasters and sponsors. 

If the BBC puts the promotional effort in, I hope this puts us on track for peaks of 1.5m for the CCF, 2m for the England group games in the world cup, 2.5m for the knockouts and... if we were to make the final... 3m+, which I think would be a record for the multichannel era. 

As I’ve stated before in previous posts , they’ll be zero promotion for the CCF and RLWC, from the BBC .

Has the penny not dropped yet with people,  it’s a filler in of time for the BBC and RL fans have got to ‘ suck it up’.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, soulboy said:

As I’ve stated before in previous posts , they’ll be zero promotion for the CCF and RLWC, from the BBC .

Has the penny not dropped yet with people,  it’s a filler in of time for the BBC and RL fans have got to ‘ suck it up’.

 

For the CCF, possibly. For the World Cup they've committed to far too many hours of coverage for it to be just filler, so they'll need it to cut through. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Stuff like this makes me delighted and angry in equal measure.  Delighted because it shows when exposed to the product people get glued to it. 

Angry because our sport has never capitalised on the fact that this combined with a serious international tournament on FTA and we actually have an amazing product to sell. 

One SL game a week on FTA, challenge cup on Beeb and month long end of season internationals in Europe and we'd be laughing. 

I read in on an Aussie site that posts League (mostly NRL) stuff, I straight away came over to TRL forum to see whether it was up, couldn`t see it anywhere so I stuck it up here, I`m really pleased for you all, I think it`s a great result, and the women`s result I though was brilliant. Great result, there`s life in the old girl yet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Just wait until the final now that Huddersfield are there.

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium only holds 62,850 compared to Wembley’s 90,000, it’s a far more suitable size for a Rugby League Final. With the novelty of a new stadium attracting neutral Rugby League fans I think it should be close to if not full.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Eddie said:

So you think most people at the Wigan Athletic or Hull City matches are there at the expense of eating or heating? 

No, I said the ones who don't turn up could be sat at home because they may be in a position of making the chose between heating or eating, ot may be because of one of the other reason I mentioned as well, or a completely different one, like fallen out of love with rugby league because they don't like what the game has developed into in the last 30 years.

Edited by Marauder
  • Like 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'm just nicking this comment on a recent Guardian article on non league football because it echoes a point I've made and seen made elsewhere: attendances across the board are up, sometimes by absolutely staggering amounts.

"Another encouraging thing this season was a general increase in attendances, our average at Enfield Town was up 62% and we weren't alone in the Isthmian Prem with 14/22 clubs reporting increases, Worthing and Lewes having doubled their crowds. Having a quick look on Non League Matters it seems this was replicated across the country and leagues with South Shields, for example, increasing their average by nearly 500%! Could be that people started watching their local teams while elite football was behind closed doors, a growing disillusionment with money ruling at the top, or people reassessing their finances and priorities post Covid, but it's a welcome change and I hope it continues. We smashed our record with 1,948 at our play off semi and apart from the atmosphere and occasion benefitting, the income from that one game is probably equivalent to a decent run in the FA competitions and will definitely help us move forward in the summer and next season."

Can't see any drop in league attendances either TBH. Bradford City got their highest ever Division 4 attendance yesterday for example.

Tier 4?I bet when you go back to when they did play in division 3 North you'll find they got larger crowds

 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Not sure where to put this and it didnt deserve its own thread, but pleasantly surprised to hear a radio advert for final tickets on Radio X this afternoon.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes, I was going to put into my post the time, effort and money that would be required to change things around, but are the last two viable in our sport especially by the governing body I can't comment on the first one but tge few times we here anything from them doesn't give the impression that they are overworked.

I think that's where the skill comes in. Skillful leaders make good decisions and know where to invest the funds and get the best returns. Or hire the right people and age cues who know how to do this stuff. 

These things don't come cheap (or easy), but working hard to get the right customers really is what is needed. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Not sure where to put this and it didnt deserve its own thread, but pleasantly surprised to hear a radio advert for final tickets on Radio X this afternoon.

To be fair for a second to the RFL, we do actually do advertising.

I saw some nonsense on Twitter this week where apparently a club official didn't even know the Challenge Cup was on this weekend. Now, it was shared by the bitter Bulls fan who is ful of his own self importance and has a vendetta against Martyn, and tbh it has to be complete BS. 

There has been plenty of email and social media activity about the semi finals from the RFL, and I don't believe that any digitally engaged existing fan wasn't aware of the games this week (awareness and selling are obviously different things). 

But we do use radio advertising regularly, as well as plenty of emails and social media, but I do think they target existing customers, mainly because they have the best ROI, so people can pay themselves on the back, ig oring the fact these customers were likely to go anyway. 

On the point of advertising, I would like to add I have seen a noticeable push on Sky recently, SL has been getting loads of generic advertising "Home of SL" type stuff, and their ads have also been showing nice tries from the Women's game. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

No, I said the ones who don't turn up could be sat at home because they may be in a position of making the chose between heating or eating, ot may be because of one of the other reason I mentioned as well, or a completely different one, like fallen out of love with rugby league because they don't like what the game has developed into in the last 30 years.

The fairly small number of people who watched the game 30 years ago but don't now are really not the people to be targeting to grow the sport.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium only holds 62,850 compared to Wembley’s 90,000, it’s a far more suitable size for a Rugby League Final. With the novelty of a new stadium attracting neutral Rugby League fans I think it should be close to if not full.

I bought a couple more tickets last week and was pleasantly surprised at how many sections had very little availability. I think if it's not full, it'll be because there'll be some unsold tickets in the Huddersfield end.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Dave T said:

To be fair for a second to the RFL, we do actually do advertising.

I saw some nonsense on Twitter this week where apparently a club official didn't even know the Challenge Cup was on this weekend. Now, it was shared by the bitter Bulls fan who is ful of his own self importance and has a vendetta against Martyn, and tbh it has to be complete BS. 

There has been plenty of email and social media activity about the semi finals from the RFL, and I don't believe that any digitally engaged existing fan wasn't aware of the games this week (awareness and selling are obviously different things). 

But we do use radio advertising regularly, as well as plenty of emails and social media, but I do think they target existing customers, mainly because they have the best ROI, so people can pay themselves on the back, ig oring the fact these customers were likely to go anyway. 

On the point of advertising, I would like to add I have seen a noticeable push on Sky recently, SL has been getting loads of generic advertising "Home of SL" type stuff, and their ads have also been showing nice tries from the Women's game. 

I think this is where people miss the difference between "advertising" and "marketing", because they aren't the same thing. 

It leads to something of a hubris where we say "we have an incredible product, but we just don't shout about it" when the truth is probably more that "we do shout about it, but the product probably isn't appealing enough to the audiences we'd like to reach". 

I know about the Challenge Cup final - it needs no advertising to me. But do I feel that it's a "must have ticket" and that I'd be absolutely gutted if I missed it? No. And that's the real failure of marketing, not advertising. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, soulboy said:

As I’ve stated before in previous posts , they’ll be zero promotion for the CCF and RLWC, from the BBC .

Has the penny not dropped yet with people,  it’s a filler in of time for the BBC and RL fans have got to ‘ suck it up’.

 

In fairness, it's not the BBC's job to promote the CCF or RLWC - they aren't our PR agency. 

Wigan, Huddersfield and the RFL all have media relations teams - it's up to them to make sure that they and the CC Final is regularly in the news cycle. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re- posted;

On another thread Harry Stottle has posted that Leigh have 4 games of significance left of the season,  1895 final, Fev,  Bash and GF. 4 left and it's still early May! That's the problem,  not enough meaningful games to bring in crowds. Not wishing to turn this thread into something else,  but if we had 2 down from SL , then suddenly Leeds and Wakefield and Toulouse have many more big games to play to entice the fans. One automatically up from Championship and a four team play off for the other promotion place,  as in Soccer's Championship and suddenly the season goes to the wire for most clubs. Perhaps the age old concept of fans turning up to see a good old game of RL for the sake of it despite the context are drawing to a close.

Attendances towards the end of the season for soccer for teams in play off contention have been very good. 44,000 at Sunderland the other night, another 35,000 plus expected tonight at Sheffield Wednesday. Give fans of RL matches with real meaning and they'll come back. Of course turkeys don't vote for Xmas so I don't expect 2 down from SL any time soon.

  •  
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Re- posted;

On another thread Harry Stottle has posted that Leigh have 4 games of significance left of the season,  1895 final, Fev,  Bash and GF. 4 left and it's still early May! That's the problem,  not enough meaningful games to bring in crowds. Not wishing to turn this thread into something else,  but if we had 2 down from SL , then suddenly Leeds and Wakefield and Toulouse have many more big games to play to entice the fans. One automatically up from Championship and a four team play off for the other promotion place,  as in Soccer's Championship and suddenly the season goes to the wire for most clubs. Perhaps the age old concept of fans turning up to see a good old game of RL for the sake of it despite the context are drawing to a close.

Attendances towards the end of the season for soccer for teams in play off contention have been very good. 44,000 at Sunderland the other night, another 35,000 plus expected tonight at Sheffield Wednesday. Give fans of RL matches with real meaning and they'll come back. Of course turkeys don't vote for Xmas so I don't expect 2 down from SL any time soon.

  •  

Leigh's lack of meaningful games is a direct result of the massively unbalanced funding distribution that is unique to the Championship.

  • Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Re- posted;

On another thread Harry Stottle has posted that Leigh have 4 games of significance left of the season,  1895 final, Fev,  Bash and GF. 4 left and it's still early May! That's the problem,  not enough meaningful games to bring in crowds. Not wishing to turn this thread into something else,  but if we had 2 down from SL , then suddenly Leeds and Wakefield and Toulouse have many more big games to play to entice the fans. One automatically up from Championship and a four team play off for the other promotion place,  as in Soccer's Championship and suddenly the season goes to the wire for most clubs. Perhaps the age old concept of fans turning up to see a good old game of RL for the sake of it despite the context are drawing to a close.

Attendances towards the end of the season for soccer for teams in play off contention have been very good. 44,000 at Sunderland the other night, another 35,000 plus expected tonight at Sheffield Wednesday. Give fans of RL matches with real meaning and they'll come back. Of course turkeys don't vote for Xmas so I don't expect 2 down from SL any time soon.

  •  

you then have 2 teams scrabbling to get good enough squads for the next season, and 2 massively strong sides in the championship for year.. 

I see where you are coming from on the solution but i cannot see 2 up and 2 down doing that to be honest. 

We cannot compare this to 2 previously big and well supported football clubs that are at least 1 and arguably 2 divisions lower than they should be hoping to god they get out of the division to stop the inevitable issues of 2-3 season in somewhere like league 1 that could easily lead to bankruptcy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...