Harry Newman at the RFL Disciplinary appeal hearing..

7 hours ago, Just Browny said:

The 'RFL killing the game' is a good catch-all that lots of people on social media can rally around, even if all the people have wildly different views on what the RFL should actually be doing. Sort of a bit like certain political movements of recent years.

#jokemate   #game’sgone   #nowonderthegameisonitsarse

52 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Newman’s try was a cracker, but a mate said to me after he had just scored “the way he is celebrating you’d have thought he’d got a last second winner”.
It was a great try though, but all Newman has to do now is lose his road-rage moments and go join an anger management group. 

He’s a young kid who’s had a frustrating couple of years.

Part of what makes him a good player is his desire to win.

He lost his rag at the end of a game and is quite rightly paying the price for it, hopefully he’ll learn from it, by some of the comments you’d think he’d smacked the ref or something 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

He lost his rag at the end of a game and is quite rightly paying the price for it, hopefully he’ll learn from it, by some of the comments you’d think he’d smacked the ref or something 

I think that's a fair comment.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

If he hadn’t have been held back or if the Ref hadn’t have scarpered it looked as if his intention was to smack him. I can see why the game is struggling for officials from the amateur game up, who would want to put up with that type of abuse. He went all Neymar, do we want to see players squaring up to officials like in football and then say “well at least he didn’t hit him, what’s the problem”. 

• Like 2

Just now, Josef K said:

If he hadn’t have been held back or if the Ref hadn’t have scarpered it looked as if his intention was to smack him. I can see why the game is struggling for officials from the amateur game up, who would want to put up with that type of abuse. He went all Neymar, do we want to see players squaring up to officials like in football and then say “well at least he didn’t hit him, what’s the problem”. 

I didn’t say what’s the problem.

I said he lost his rag and is rightly paying the price for it.

lets not turn him into some kind of devil incarnate though, he wasn’t going to hit the ref at all, don’t be daft.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I didn’t say what’s the problem.

I said he lost his rag and is rightly paying the price for it.

lets not turn him into some kind of devil incarnate though, he wasn’t going to hit the ref at all, don’t be daft.

You’re right Chris i have worded it very poorly, i just don’t want to see players losing it at the Ref when a decision doesn’t go their way. We all hoped RL would not go the same way as with football but it has virtually happened. The last thing we need is players using foul & abusive language at Refs. 
The cheating and berating of officials hasn’t affected footy in anyway, it seems to get more & more popular every season. Sadly that won’t happen in RL. I just hope Ganson & the RFL have had a word with the players & clubs. 

• Like 1

On 28/06/2022 at 21:01, Tommygilf said:

Frivolous is by its very nature a subjective judgement. 

Leeds might think that given refs are shouted at every week by players, then the 2 match ban was excessive and not in line with previous punishments this season (or indeed ever?). 

Bearing in mind I've seen first hand how this panel works and what judgements thet have come to this season alone, I don't blame anyone for lodging an appeal if they think they have grounds. 

We did a show on the disciplinary panel 

Uploaded to our new Chanel here 

On 29/06/2022 at 16:53, Josef K said:

I would love too see that, even if it was a Saints player. The most blinkered of fans couldn’t blame the Ref if their own player kept mouthing off. It’s a win win for everyone involved in the game and most supporters would support that. Why does it very rarely happen nowadays though, have we got the right man in charge with Steve Ganson ?. 

To be fair, Ganson was never shy of marching them back 10 or dishing cards out for backchat so not sure.

I think, like wrestling and not playing the ball correctly it's just become a rubbish part of the game sadly.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, meast said:

To be fair, Ganson was never shy of marching them back 10 or dishing cards out for backchat so not sure.

I think, like wrestling and not playing the ball correctly it's just become a rubbish part of the game sadly.

I didn’t mind him as a Ref meast he wouldn’t put up with any nonsense. But now as head of officials i think he has done a poor job. Like you say what happened to the correct PTB’s, and now milking of penalties. Could he have stopped most of this with a purge at the start of the season until players got the message. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dkw said:

So he's appealing the extra match ban apparently.....who is advising him.

The Headingley phonelines have been off the hook

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Leeds seem confident he can't pick up any additional games from this appeal.

It's perfectly legitimate if, as I've been told, Leeds came up with a long list of comparable situations which received nothing - i.e. the original appeal certainly wasn't frivolous.

However I also suspect Leeds are doing this partly to placate Newman/Newman's family.

But Leeds aren't appealing the appeal. The extra game is an additional, technically separate, sanction, it wasn't the 2 game ban being made into 3.

Therefore it has its own appeal process. That seems reasonable to me.

14 minutes ago, M j M said:

But Leeds aren't appealing the appeal. The extra game is an additional, technically separate, sanction, it wasn't the 2 game ban being made into 3.

I genuinely have no idea what his grounds for the appeal of the appeal can be. He was clearly OTT in his actions and got the ban they deserved. A stupid appeal got the result it deserved.

I don’t know what Leeds are trying to prove to be honest but it certainly isn’t much of a lesson in taking personal responsibility for a lad who apparently hasn’t been able to wind his neck in since the junior grades.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, M j M said:

Your Leeds bias is showing. If this was any other club you wouldn't be saying that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Damien said:
9 hours ago, M j M said:

Your Leeds bias is showing. If this was any other club you wouldn't be saying that.

If you say so.

I'm actually just stating facts - they are separate sanctions and all sanctions have appeals processes.

2 minutes ago, M j M said:

If you say so.

I'm actually just stating facts - they are separate sanctions and all sanctions have appeals processes.

So if this appeal of the appeal is deemed frivolous - because it does appear (unless some rabbit is pulled from a hat) to be, at best, grasping and pathetic so I think we can add 'frivolous' in the consistent sense the panel seems to use it - can he get another game added?

Because that would be chef's-kiss-perfect.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)