Are you sure England is better then Samoa?

Last 3 games.

2014: England 32 Samoa 26

2017: England 30 Samoa 10

2022: England 60 Samoa 6

I am going to spend an enjoyable few minutes with a can of Birra Moretti browsing some of the posts on this thread.

Not naming any names of course but they may rhyme with Sprocket and Jojo.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 hours ago, Damien said:

You were saying.....

No question Samoa were hopeless and England pretty good. But what struck me about last night`s game, especially after hearing about what great atmospheres English crowds generate (and this was a World Cup opening match)  was the strange eery silence that enveloped the stadium for at least the first 20 minutes or so of the game. Atmosphere practically zero.

I suspect that this was a crowd who was very nervous about whether England were going to get thumped or not. But that`s o.k, great result for the home team and the tournament.

8 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Last 3 games.

I am going to spend an enjoyable few minutes with a can of Birra Moretti browing some of the posts on this thread.

A certain element of triumphalism here with perhaps a strong undercurrent of relief.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

A certain element of triumphalism here with perhaps a strong undercurrent of relief.

Some relief certainly, there is bound to be when you want your country individually to do well and the world cup itself to be a success.

But relief for the result? Not as much.  As I kept saying through this thread, I kept looking at the Samoa team wondering why everyone was getting so hyped up about them.  They have weaknesses in some key positions and some players who are simply overrated.  The win didn't surprise me at all (I said on the game thread that one side would be in for a shock and it wasn't England) but the size of the win did of course.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Last 3 games.

I am going to spend an enjoyable few minutes with a can of Birra Moretti browing some of the posts on this thread.

It's worrying for world RL that Samoa seem to be drifting off 

Back in 2014 they were capable of giving us a decent game but the trend is clear and they can't any more 

Maybe Phil Gould can suggest some changes to at least allow them to get back being near competitive with England 

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

hearing about what great atmospheres English crowds generate (and this was a World Cup opening match)  was the strange eery silence that enveloped the stadium for at least the first 20 minutes or so of the game. Atmosphere practically zero.

When Aussies talk about crowds they will mostly be referencing SL crowds....loads of different chants and cheers.....which can be amazing and often is

Internationals aren't as well developed for crowd noise.....maybe if the NRL committed to a proper international calendar the crowds would have a chance to be as good as SL

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 4

On 02/07/2022 at 05:11, Young Blood said:

I think most people believe that England are going to top group A, but I believe Samoa are a better team. Can England beat this team?

1. Joseph Sualii

2. Brian To'o

3. Stephen Crtichon

4. Izack Tago

5. Murray Tualagi/ David Nofoluma/ Taylan May

6. Jarome Luai

7. Anthony Milford

8. Junior Paulo

9. Chanel Tevita Harris

10. Payne Haas

11. Lucieno Leiluia

12.  Josh Schuster

13.  Tino Fa'asuamaleaui

14. Jazz Tevanga

15. Jeremiah Nanai

16. Josh Papalii

17. Spencer Leinu

This team has 

This side has 5-6 players from the Penrith Panthers the most dominant team last 3 years in the NRL and current champions. Also has 8-9 players who have played State Of Origin this year . Including the 4 props from NSW and QLD. I think having Suallii at fullback we be a masterstroke a one in generation type talent who already impressing at just 18 years old. Anyone who knows the England team well can they beat this Samoan squad?

Seems they are.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

No question Samoa were hopeless and England pretty good. But what struck me about last night`s game, especially after hearing about what great atmospheres English crowds generate (and this was a World Cup opening match)  was the strange eery silence that enveloped the stadium for at least the first 20 minutes or so of the game. Atmosphere practically zero.

I suspect that this was a crowd who was very nervous about whether England were going to get thumped or not. But that`s o.k, great result for the home team and the tournament.

A combination of factors for the crowd noise (it was something I did notice too):

New stadium being used in non-heartland area - was similar at Olympic Stadium v NZ in 2015. Huge crowd, silent. Not sure why this happens, but just seems the case to me.

Crowd-size - maybe the usuals are spread out more?

Band (lack of) - don't we usually have a brass band at internationals? Didn't hear one yesterday. Usually helps get things going.

But the biggest one...

Lack of internationals - it's hard to build up a consistent atmosphere if you never get to see them play! Songs and chants are developed over time, and we never have any time to see them!

• Like 2
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

43 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Some relief certainly, there is bound to be when you want your country individually to do well and the world cup itself to be a success.

But relief for the result? Not as much.  As I kept saying through this thread, I kept looking at the Samoa team wondering why everyone was getting so hyped up about them.  They have weaknesses in some key positions and some players who are simply overrated.  The win didn't surprise me at all (I said on the game thread that one side would be in for a shock and it wasn't England) but the size of the win did of course.

Totally agree, it was mainly the NRL lovers on here that gave England, and its majority SL player squad no chance - any true RL fan with a brain, knew we were a good team who would beat Samoa. 

19 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

When Aussies talk about crowds they will mostly be referencing SL crowds....loads of different chants and cheers.....which can be amazing and often is

Internationals aren't as well developed for crowd noise.....maybe if the NRL committed to a proper international calendar the crowds would have a chance to be as good as SL

Strange because another article in today`s The Australian hailed the typically rowdy English crowd at the Australia vs. Fiji game. A view shared in an interview with Latrell Mitchell in the article. I still maintain that the crowd at the England vs. Samoa game were very much on tenterhooks with regards whether the home team was going to be competitive.

Having said all that, they were and they did look good. In fact Mal`s so excited he`s calling for a revival of Kangaroo tours. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Totally agree, it was mainly the NRL lovers on here that gave England, and its majority SL player squad no chance - any true RL fan with a brain, knew we were a good team who would beat Samoa. 

You mean the one recent Samoan poster & a couple of Australians.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Strange because another article in today`s The Australian hailed the typically rowdy English crowd at the Australia vs. Fiji game. A view shared in an interview with Latrell Mitchell in the article. I still maintain that the crowd at the England vs. Samoa game were very much on tenterhooks with regards whether the home team was going to be competitive.

Having said all that, they were and they did look good. In fact Mal`s so excited he`s calling for a revival of Kangaroo tours. 

You can maintain it but it's completely wrong. A closed in old fashioned ground like Headingley, full of locals, is as close to a SL crowd as you will get in this World Cup. It is also a completely different kettle of fish compared to a big, spread out all seater stadium full of Geordies with many at a RL match for the first time.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

You need to come and see a big SL game over her mate for yourself one day.....you'd love it 

• Like 1

England showed why speed and athleticism, and the selection of a new generation of players like Farnworth and Young, was so important. Allied with Makinson and Watkins they really put England on the front foot with their running game and bar Sam Tomkins every back ran for 100+ metres. Its as exciting an England backline as we have seen for decades.

• Like 2

England were good without being brilliant, particularly in the opening 20 minutes or so yesterday. Lots to build on as perhaps a certain rustiness was worked out through that game as England truly became dominant.

If England play Samoa again in this tournament, Samoa will be better. I strongly suspect England will be a lot better too.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You need to come and see a big SL game over her mate for yourself one day.....you'd love it 

Yes, I've been to many NRL games and an Origin match (loved them all) but none of those big matches compared to say a big crowd at Leeds on a Friday under lights or a Wigan v Saints match infront of a big crowd for atmosphere.

Edited by Mr Frisky
  • Like 1

The other problem with chants at internationals is that most of the ones we're all familiar with are club-centric. And that's because, over the length of time it takes to build up a traditional chant, that's what the game has been.

Plus I suspect that, unless we are playing the Kangaroos, there's little animosity (there's even some genuine affection) towards those international sides who are making our game bigger and better.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The other problem with chants at internationals is that most of the ones we're all familiar with are club-centric. And that's because, over the length of time it takes to build up a traditional chant, that's what the game has been.

Plus I suspect that, unless we are playing the Kangaroos, there's little animosity (there's even some genuine affection) towards those international sides who are making our game bigger and better.

I desperately wanted England wo win yesterday.  Of course because I want them to do well in the comp overall but equally because I wanted all the commentators, pundits (and posters) who simply assumed that a team of NRL players just had to show up to win to be proved to be way over the top in their confidence and attitudes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meast said:

Have we got a definitive answer yet?

Yes - the game's doomed. HTH.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson