RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The attendances for the 2000 WC were far worse than the records suggest, many figures were just made up i was at the France v PNG game in Paris where around 1800 attended the official crowd was given as 7800 if i remember correctly

The following 2 matches in Carcassonne v Tonga and South Africa in Albi the figures given were correct, just Paris was a dreamed up figure (How do i know:) well i was sat next to the person who announced it, as he is a long term friend i will keep his name to myself.

I know there's a chapter in the 2005 book 'Seasons in the Sun: A Rugby Revolution' that confirms the story about the made up attendances in France. According to that, the organiser of the French games Tas Baitieri "let his imagination run a bit wild" with the figure for the game in Paris, and on one of the other games the "official" attendance was decided on before they even reached the ground...

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Attendance at Italy v Scotland just been given out as 6206

Not too bad - more in Workington for the same game in 2013 though, but Cumbria's loss due to no new stadium- even though Derwent Park in Workington is a better stadium now than it was in 2013, and the pitch is great.

• Like 1

Part of that is double stacking fixtures on one weekend I think. I believe Oz vs Fiji wasn't originally planned to be at Headingley so that is unfortunate.

The "overpriced" ticket sections were obvious too.

Suspect there will be a lot of games at this sort of level in the Group stages.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Not too bad - more in Workington for the same game in 2013 though, but Cumbria's loss due to no new stadium- even though Derwent Park in Workington is a better stadium now than it was in 2013, and the pitch is great.

Probably double or triple the gate receipts today compared to the game at Derwent Park though - think I paid £10 to stand at Workington versus £25+ for seats at Newcastle (can't remember how much I paid as it was a couple of years ago...)

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, JonM said:

Probably double or triple the gate receipts today compared to the game at Derwent Park though - think I paid £10 to stand at Workington versus £25+ for seats at Newcastle (can't remember how much I paid as it was a couple of years ago...)

But unfortunately even that's probably only a fraction of what's needed for the game to create a meaningful war chest to support developing nations though.  The TV rights and sponsorship revenue won't be huge, so gate receipts will need to pick up the slack.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

But unfortunately even that's probably only a fraction of what's needed to bring in to create a meaningful war chest to support developing nations though.  The TV rights and sponsorship revenue won't be huge, so gate receipts will need to pick up the slack.

You’ll be delighted to know that you’re wrong, happily, on every front. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

How many games are there within an hour, even just half an hours travel from Warrington (including Warrington itself of course)?

This was predicted.

The positive is the ticket income.

But I don't understand the decision taken to stop selling bundles given how many games are on top of each other.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Sadly I knew this would happen the entire marketing of the RLWC has been poor and they have had an extra year to get it right.

Looks like around 6000 at Warrington for the kiwis terrible.

“Entire” is unfair. Their Facebook ads have been very good and well-targeted. The coverage on BBC channels and news programmes has been top-drawer.

Some areas could’ve been far better, yes. 

6 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

Even if there was £40 tickets down the side, the cheaper areas of £25 are not even sold out. This might be far better the wc2000 but in these grounds it has a look of wc2000.

It’s worth it to not sell the game at a discount rate. The games in the later stages will sell well and that will help the overall sales look good. We can’t keep selling tickets at £5 each or else we will never get out of the cycle.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

Even if there was £40 tickets down the side, the cheaper areas of £25 are not even sold out. This might be far better the wc2000 but in these grounds it has a look of wc2000.

Perceptions and oversupply affect things too.

There are a lot of very reasonably priced tickets, but they let the narrative of how expensive some tickets are dominate.

• Like 1

It's clear that some of the group games are overpriced, and will be undersold, but overall I'm not going to jump to conclusions yet. It's still quite possible that the England games and the knockout stage will sell well, even at the higher prices, and this will result in the most profitable world cup ever.