Sat 4th-Sun 5th Mar: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

30 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Sheffield dominated first 30 minutes.  Played more or less perfect rugby, if they didn't score they handed it over on our line. Chuck in a few missed tackles and handling errors from Widnes and you have the first half.

I thought after Monday's performance from Widnes they would have kicked on much better than what this score is saying.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you think that expected blowouts could be keeping a number of the 3/4000 away Paul, from my club Leigh's expierience last season, I think that the number of games which were foregone conclusions directly effected the attendances and kept them low.

On your other point about the 3 year settling in period, sorry I have to disagree to me each club playing in the same league should be treated exactly the same.

Totally respect your opinion Harry:)

February weather isn't that great can be very cold, also personally i prefer matches like this to be in the old stadium.

It is what it is though.

Paul

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Form book is already all over the place in the Championship. Check out these two sets of scores:
York 32 Bradford 16
Toulouse 36 York 0
Bradford 28 Toulouse 18

and
Halifax 26 Sheffield 18
Widnes 42 Halifax 14
Sheffield 42 Widnes 12

Careful with those Championship bets!

York were at their bare bones for that Toulouse game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YCKBob said:

Indeed and I made that very point on the York forum! Really the issue for those 3 results is probably what happened to the other two teams ie Bradford's implosion at York against a team that started with 1 recognised half back and then lost the filling-in Marsh in the first minute, and Toulouse's loss of discipline at Odsal even allowing for their missing a chunk of their senior forwards.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, YCKBob said:

You can also do York 12 Widnes 19, York 32 Bradford 16, Bradford 14 Widnes 12. As the phantom horseman points out, hard to predict.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Archie Gordon said:

Approaching a crossroads again for London Broncos. Difficult to see what the plan is. Shed players, coaches, fans and sponsors and unable/unwilling to recruit new ones. Somehow believing that IMG are watching on admiringly.

London can't make the same excuses they had last year at this stage.... This is what happens when you have such a weak squad, once you lose one or two of starting 13 then the cracks appear.  Going to be a long season at the broncos, with sub 1K gates for most of it

Widnes didnt turn up today, and where poor to be honest.

The Eagles dominated the forward pack, and in the end we deserved the win....  and to cap it off, 2 end to end tries for the Eagles.. 

Not a bad crowd either , 1320 at the OLP...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mozzauk said:

Widnes didnt turn up today, and where poor to be honest.

The Eagles dominated the forward pack, and in the end we deserved the win....  and to cap it off, 2 end to end tries for the Eagles.. 

Not a bad crowd either , 1320 at the OLP...

Started really well have Sheffield.

Eagles totally dominant for first 20-30 minutes. Thought Widnes improved in second half, but obviously not enough.

Gwaze was a stand out for Sheffield, for me. Thackeray just keeps going doesn't he.

I agree this league is nuts at the moment. Nearly every side capable of beating the rest. 

Im probably in the minority that thought Sheffield would win comfortably against Widnes. I think people are underestimating just how well Sheffield have started the season and and overestimating how well Widnes played against Fax who put in probably their worst display in at least 4 or 5 years. I think Sheffield will be top 4 this year barring a bad run on injuries.

As for Fax luckily our season didn't end today 😉 but in all seriousness we picked up where we left off against Widnes in the first half, dropping off tackles, getting totally doimated, and to be fair to Batley they were pretty much only having to play one up rugby against us and were good value for their half time lead. Second half was a lot better but we stil look way off the pace but we did at least show some fire and luckily for us it helps having the best winger in the comp because he's still scoring for fun without us playing free flowing rugby that we got used to last season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, doc said:

Thackeray just keeps going doesn't he.

Wikipedia Page:

Anthony Thackeray (born 19 February 1986) is the greatest English rugby league footballer in history who plays as a stand-off or scrum-half for the Sheffield Eagles in the Betfred Championship.[5]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

21 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Wikipedia Page:

Anthony Thackeray (born 19 February 1986) is the greatest English rugby league footballer in history who plays as a stand-off or scrum-half for the Sheffield Eagles in the Betfred Championship.[5]

I knew that.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"