And here's a video of Micky McIlorum speaking perfect fluent French

5 hours ago, Jughead said:

I thought the title was going to be sarcasm and admittedly I’m no expert in French by any means but fair play to him, he sounds good. 

Yeah his words could have absolutely no meaning in French, but it sounds very French so I guess it must be right 😉 

Edited by The Daddy

Good effort, even after  being here for over 20 years i find it difficult to speak in front of a room full of people or whilst being filmed in french. it was in the local paper saying he never usually gives interviews in English or French as he doesn't feel comfortable, so it's  impressive he put himself out there like that, he actually said during the longer  interview that he can chat easily with neighbours in french but isn't relaxed enough in front of groups. 

Edited by barnyia
  • Like 4

I thought this was going to be a joke but fair play to him. Its a long time since I did French at school but he certainly sounded impressive. All too often players of all sports go abroad and make no effort to learn the language or integrate, I think some players at Catalans have been accused of this in the past, and its refreshing when players do make the effort.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Fair play to him.

Us Brits are probably the worst in the world about learning languages.

Last thing you expect is a rough and tumble dummy half picking up French.

Who else read that as a rough and tumble dummy, half picking up French? 

Good on him - I hope that the other Anglophones on the team are immersing themselves in the language too.

• Like 2

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

It's very impressive indeed. Jenna trying to get him to speak French on Sky last night was so embarrassing I had to look at my feet, even though I was only watching on telly.

• Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Pretty fluent - I wonder if he's thinking of settling in France after his playing days?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Pretty fluent - I wonder if he's thinking of settling in France after his playing days?

He said he's not leaving as he's settling and loves life over here, Sam tomkins said the same too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

There's obviously a joke I'm missing. Do tell 

The details may not be precise but essentially when McIlorum put his hand up to play for Ireland in the 17 WC, he posted on twitter that he was really looking forward to representing and then put up the flag of Ivory Coast. It is a similar flag to Ireland's (same colours) but he received some stick at the time (as some questioned how much he even knew about Ireland) and just been a bit of a running joke

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, barnyia said:

He said he's not leaving as he's settling and loves life over here, Sam tomkins said the same too. 

I'm sure they can be useful to the game in France, even if they're not directly involved after their playing careers.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This sort of thing is indicative of the culture they are trying to build at Catslans, great for the club and great for RL, I hope they win SL soon.

As for McIllorum, thought he totally ran the show on Thursday night at Wigan, completely outplayed Powell.

Edited by Whippet13