Attendance thread

13 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Salford  6,892

I’ve certainly been critical of Salford and some things they have done but this is great to see. Attendances seem to be nudging up and up. I don’t care what the reason is, the fact that bodies are in the stadium is all that counts ATEOTD. Hope they can keep it up. 

• Like 1

On 15/07/2023 at 22:30, Eddie said:

Tbf Huddersfield compete with Huddersfield Town, Wakey haven’t got a football league club to contend with. 

Hull and Hull KR both compete with each other and with a championship football team, but both have very healthy average attendances.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 16/07/2023 at 07:30, Eddie said:

Tbf Huddersfield compete with Huddersfield Town, Wakey haven’t got a football league club to contend with. 

Blaming a seperate sport for poor gate is a bit pathetic.

Imagine Melbourne Storm having a sook because they're up against probably the cumulatively largest attended sports teams in the world in their own city. There is no excuse.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

26 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Imagine Melbourne Storm having a sook because they're up against probably the cumulatively largest attended sports teams in the world in their own city. There is no excuse.

Tbf that is a good reason for Melbourne’s crowds being lower than they’d be if AFL didn’t exist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Manchester derby? The way things are going Leigh will have some silverware 

To be fair, they have always been well attended games, irrespective of what Divisions we have played in.

Like Leigh, their hardcore travel well away so i am pleased for them to get a great attendance. They deserve it with some of the rugby they play !!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, EggFace said:

Weren'tthe big crowds for derby's, finals etc ?

By and large. The earliest figures for 10k+ crowds I can find is for 81/82 where there were 36, 19 of them being at the Boulevard, the gate for the John Player Trophy final (a Hull derby) was 25165. Anyone know if the gates for the last season of one division are available anywhere?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

By and large. The earliest figures for 10k+ crowds I can find is for 81/82 where there were 36, 19 of them being at the Boulevard, the gate for the John Player Trophy final (a Hull derby) was 25165. Anyone know if the gates for the last season of one division are available anywhere?

Pretty sure I have figures for the numbers of five figure crowds for some seasons before then (it's not a big number.)

Last season of one division (1972-3) had an average attendance across the 30 clubs of 2000 odd. Floodlight trophy final got 4841, Yorkshire Cup Final 7406, Lancs Cup Final (Salford v Swinton) 6879, players no 6 final 10102 and the Championship Final 18889. The big draw was the challenge cup final - 72395 and semi-finals 14028 and 15369.

Two divisions didn't immediately improve things much, as can be seen from the 73-4 kangaroos tour - aggregate of 36 567 for the 3 tests, 6000 for Wigan v Australia.

5 minutes ago, JonM said:

Pretty sure I have figures for the numbers of five figure crowds for some seasons before then (it's not a big number.)

Last season of one division (1972-3) had an average attendance across the 30 clubs of 2000 odd. Floodlight trophy final got 4841, Yorkshire Cup Final 7406, Lancs Cup Final (Salford v Swinton) 6879, players no 6 final 10102 and the Championship Final 18889. The big draw was the challenge cup final - 72395 and semi-finals 14028 and 15369.

Two divisions didn't immediately improve things much, as can be seen from the 73-4 kangaroos tour - aggregate of 36 567 for the 3 tests, 6000 for Wigan v Australia.

Dark days wasn't but the light came around in the late 1970's (I think).

6 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Who did they play to get a crowd like that ?  Must have been a huge Super League club ......... Surely ??😉

Aside from an incredibly witless couple with a comedy accent who seemingly might explain why Brexit and Boris flourished one time, I didn't see, hear or smell any Leyther not got much else to do in a small town, fancy a trip to the Big exciting Emerald City, temporary glory hunters in the main stand.😆

• Confused 3

16 hours ago, Pulga said:

I basically agree with your point but choosing a city with a population of 5 million to compare with Huddersfield wasn't the best.

Edited by Just Browny

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I basically agree with your point but choosing a city with a population of 5 million to compare with Huddersfield wasn't the best.

It's offset by there being 9 Melbourne AFL teams with a larger average crowd size than most competitions on earth 

new rise.jpg

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

Tbf that is a good reason for Melbourne’s crowds being lower than they’d be if AFL didn’t exist. 

But AFL is the game of Melbourne and has multiple teams and rivalries going back for decades, the Storm do very well attendance wise but RL will never overtake Aussie Rules in that part of the country, somewhat like in Lancs and Yorkshire, Rugger Union will never overtake League, if there was a glimmer of hope that it could, we would already have it.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I believe Leigh have already got 20+ coaches sold, and that is not counting those who will make their own way of a short 10 mile trip.

Plus there are some special trains being put on apparently. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Pulga said:

It's offset by there being 9 Melbourne AFL teams with a larger average crowd size than most competitions on earth 

It's an affluent global city, there is a market for every sport if they can tap into it. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

15 hours ago, Jughead said:

Wigan have sold 2,500 for the cup semi-final. 

Thats really poor if True.

Not sure how many Tickets Leigh have left to sell of their allocation, but there is only a couple hundred left in the 'Shared' South stand at Warrington.

It wont be packed with the Red V thats for sure !!

56 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I believe Leigh have already got 20+ coaches sold, and that is not counting those who will make their own way of a short 10 mile trip.

Hopefully they know where to park

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

54 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Coach ?  Drive ?  Train ??      I'm walking it Harry !!🤣

Brekky at Zelos and a few early scoops before I stagger into the Kings Head at midday.

You need to know where to go !!  😉

Might get the bus back though !🤣

57 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

It's an affluent global city, there is a market for every sport if they can tap into it. 

Being "affluent" or "global" has nothing to do with it. 

If you're well run you can build a good fan base anywhere. 

Trying to pin poor performance on a different sport (a really different sport) is weak. 

new rise.jpg