Attendance thread

5 minutes ago, Taffy Tiger said:

Hi HKB , it was that long ago it was only 3 points a try 😉

To be honest if you ever watch rugby league from 1980 it’s barely rugby league as you’d recognise it. Very different sport, mad when you look at it. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

On 15/09/2023 at 00:23, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Yup. One game. Neither club has built their support since. What an ignominious milestone it was eh. 

First of all , congratulations on the 8,793 an excellent effort . However , I have to take issue on the above . Cas average SL home attendance in 2006 was 7,069 . Our average SL home attendance since then (not including Championship Season) has been 7,250 . so seems a bit harsh to say that neither club has built their support since . In the last 5 seasons (excluding Covid) our average has been 7.711

Edited by Taffy Tiger
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Taffy Tiger said:

First of all , congratulations on the 8,793 an excellent effort . However , I have to take issue on the above . Cas average SL home attendance in 2006 was 7,069 . Our average SL home attendance since then (not including Championship Season) has been 7,853 . so seems a bit harsh to say that neither club has built their support since . Our average has grown by over 11% . 

Aye, fair enough, my bad. Guess my underlying point is that relegation doesn't help do that, but I was too flippant and dismissive - hold my hands up. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

9 hours ago, phiggins said:

Ah, I thought the difference with the South Stand was higher than that. Thanks. Yes, if the capacity is 10,300 as Beaumont tweeted, then the North Stand must've been capped as well. Thought it held 4k.

Full capacity of North is 3,768 but that has only ever been used for the infamous Cas v Widnes semi final. 2,886 ordinarily.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Taffy Tiger said:

Hi HKB , it was that long ago it was only 3 points a try 😉

It was that long ago some of us were still getting to grips with decimalisation.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

4 hours ago, Ullman said:

It was that long ago some of us were still getting to grips with decimalisation.

and some of us still are if we include the corresponding change to metric as part of that process .. e.g. I still can not get to grips with buying petrol with litres,  still buy in pounds rather than kilograms, get confused when the Doctor/Nurse discusses my weight in Kilograms and we both get confused in trying to convert to what I understand... and when I'm converting a cookery recipe - is it 450g per pound or 500g and may be why I just can't cook the sunday joint right....

and yeah, i still think you should be able to contest/kick the ball at a PTB....

• Like 2

I’ve been thinking about individual club’s attendances and how a period of sustained success might impact them at the time of the success and also in the future. Are Wigan, Saints, Leeds, the Hull clubs and now Catalans the best supported clubs because they’ve had successful periods at some point in their recent ish history? 
If a club is regularly winning things and making finals then their attendances increase and there is more interest in them and RL in general in the town/city. This support is then passed down through the generations so that the club always has potential to be well supported. 
If Bradford Bulls were back competing near the top of SL they would instantly become one of the best supported clubs due to the dormant support that was built up during their successful period 

If London, Sheffield, Salford, Huddersfield, Toulouse etc had a similar period of sustained success would their attendances be as good as the best supported clubs? I think they might be

On 19/09/2023 at 22:20, Leyther_Matt said:

Full capacity of North is 3,768 but that has only ever been used for the infamous Cas v Widnes semi final. 2,886 ordinarily.

Answers my question then Matt on the LSV not actually being ran at Capacity. 

If it did irrespective of the band and I allocated seats, it would have been nearer 11k. 

Still, great end to a great season. Let’s hope we give them a game !

14 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I’ve been thinking about individual club’s attendances and how a period of sustained success might impact them at the time of the success and also in the future. Are Wigan, Saints, Leeds, the Hull clubs and now Catalans the best supported clubs because they’ve had successful periods at some point in their recent ish history? 
If a club is regularly winning things and making finals then their attendances increase and there is more interest in them and RL in general in the town/city. This support is then passed down through the generations so that the club always has potential to be well supported. 
If Bradford Bulls were back competing near the top of SL they would instantly become one of the best supported clubs due to the dormant support that was built up during their successful period 

If London, Sheffield, Salford, Huddersfield, Toulouse etc had a similar period of sustained success would their attendances be as good as the best supported clubs? I think they might be

I think that logic was true of times 30 plus years ago, now support is generally much more nebulous. From the 90s onwards I think clubs have had a base to work from, then have increased from that based on success (ie Bulls, Rhinos, Wolves etc.).

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

Would Bradford's glory supporters be classed as 'dormant'? I suspect most of them will probably have little interest in RL now.

As for the last paragraph, I don't think any of those except perhaps Salford who seem to have a big fan base but doesn't relate to matchday supporters unless it's a big game.

Huddersfield haven't have a passed down the generations support for over 50 years and I doubt it would happen now.

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

In regards to London, the only way I see us ever getting large crowds again on a regular basis is if we have a winning team that is challenging at the top of SL. 

People in London have too much choice to want to watch London play in the championship and lose more than they win (in recent years)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, meast said:

Would Bradford's glory supporters be classed as 'dormant'? I suspect most of them will probably have little interest in RL now.

As for the last paragraph, I don't think any of those except perhaps Salford who seem to have a big fan base but doesn't relate to matchday supporters unless it's a big game.

Huddersfield haven't have a passed down the generations support for over 50 years and I doubt it would happen now.

I think Bradford would get good crowds if they were getting to GFs and CC finals on a regular basis.

Don’t you think that if Huddersfield won the GF 2 or 3 times in the next 5 - 10 years and were regular contenders like Wigan and Saints that they would see an increase in crowds?

10 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Answers my question then Matt on the LSV not actually being ran at Capacity. 

If it did irrespective of the band and I allocated seats, it would have been nearer 11k. 

Still, great end to a great season. Let’s hope we give them a game !

To be honest, an extra 900 or whatever the figure is in the North Stand would be carnage in the concourse, which needed to be built a bit deeper with at least one extra food and drink kiosk included.

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I think Bradford would get good crowds if they were getting to GFs and CC finals on a regular basis.

Don’t you think that if Huddersfield won the GF 2 or 3 times in the next 5 - 10 years and were regular contenders like Wigan and Saints that they would see an increase in crowds?

Personally i think it would draw back some lapsed and floating fans but i doubt it would encourage many new fans to take up the sport.

We needed to win a major trophy between 2008-2013 as that's when our crowds were growing and there was a bit of interest in the town, we didn't and it's been downhill ever since.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I don’t think any of them would be tbf.

As the one of those places that I’ve lived in and have a feel for the sporting culture there, I’d say Sheffield definitely not, as it’s all about Utd and Wednesday. If the Eagles won SL three years in a row I reckon they’d average 5-6k. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phiggins said:

To be honest, an extra 900 or whatever the figure is in the North Stand would be carnage in the concourse, which needed to be built a bit deeper with at least one extra food and drink kiosk included.

Part of the conditions for the extra 888 are that the square footage of the concourse is increased by bringing up the shutters by the side of the turnstiles (bet you’ve never noticed them until you inevitably look tomorrow!) and utilising the quadrants in the corners. There has previously been a bottle bar to alleviate the queues but of course nobody can get down to it! Non attending season tickets will knock a few off the actual numbers in there though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phiggins said:

I was in the North Stand on the day of that 'infamous' CC Semi Cas v Widnes.

It was 'lets just say'  a squeeze !!  🤣

Wouldn't it be great for Leigh to thrive and grow to the state where we could fill the sides in !!  At The Moment, LSV is the perfect size. 👌

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I don’t think any of them would be tbf.

As the one of those places that I’ve lived in and have a feel for the sporting culture there, I’d say Sheffield definitely not, as it’s all about Utd and Wednesday. If the Eagles won SL three years in a row I reckon they’d average 5-6k. 

I think Salford and Toulouse could push towards 10k + with some regular success. Huddersfield, London and Sheffield could get 7k + I think

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

Looks like we're on for some good crowds this weekend. Sell outs at Leigh and Wakefield, Saints are on for 13,000+.

RL is in trouble if Wakefield can't sell out with a 4000+ capacity especially against Hull Kingston or a red-hot derby at Leigh.

On 21/09/2023 at 05:45, JM2010 said:

No I don't, we have made 3 cup finals and 2 play off semi finals, won the league leaders shield and we haven't seen any significanct rise in popularity around the town.

Maybe in a generation's time if that scenario occurs but for the moment I just don't see it happening.

26 minutes ago, meast said:

No I don't, we have made 3 cup finals and 2 play off semi finals, won the league leaders shield and we haven't seen any significanct rise in popularity around the town.

Maybe in a generation's time if that scenario occurs but for the moment I just don't see it happening.

I think winning a couple of GFs and making a couple of GFs might have a bit of an impact though

On 19/09/2023 at 06:44, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

People aged differently then didn't they 

KR supporters still age like that now.

• Haha 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.