Attendance thread

8 hours ago, Josef K said:

10,350 at Saints which is up 2,128 on last years loop fixture against Wakey.

I think the weather put quite a few of the floaters off, even the ones that stand with me who pay at the gate could not be enticed to come out tonight in the heavy rain. It was either stay at home or go the pub and watch the Leigh/Wigan match in comfort. Even a season ticket holder couldn’t be arsed coming. If i hadn’t have had a season ticket i wouldn’t have bothered myself. 
Fair play to the FC fans who made the journey for a nothing game, hopefully there was no diversions on’t way home. 

Saints have posted two very different attendances for this game - 10,350 and 14,036. Presumably you reckon the latter is a mistake? (see the bottom of this page - https://www.saintsrlfc.com/matches/2023/first-team/saints-v-hull-fc-2023-09-22/)

• Like 1

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/3735/attendance-boost-for-super-league

"The positive momentum is set to continue at Old Trafford for the Betfred Super League Grand Final on October 14, with sales up more than 30% on the corresponding stage last year, and only very limited tickets remaining in the South Stand and the Community Stand - Betfred Super League Grand Final (rugby-league.com)

Obviously if/when Catalans make the final the attendance will be impacted. I imagine the powers that be are hoping for a Wigan/Saints final. (St Helens play Catalan if they beat wire I think?)

• Like 2

There was some interesting noise from the NRL semi final this week. 

Lots of criticism because the NRL were heading for a lower crowd than they'd like, so they did a 2 for 1 offer, and then they gave away free tickets. 

The but I found interesting was the noise about why they did it, obviously to get bums on seats, but plenty noise about Melbourne being an out of town team and not bringing many fans. 

It was all very similar to the Catalans discussions (albeit at a much higher base level of c30k). 

We see it in Union, we see it in the NRL, it isn't the unique UK RL thing many believe. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

There was some interesting noise from the NRL semi final this week. 

Lots of criticism because the NRL were heading for a lower crowd than they'd like, so they did a 2 for 1 offer, and then they gave away free tickets. 

The but I found interesting was the noise about why they did it, obviously to get bums on seats, but plenty noise about Melbourne being an out of town team and not bringing many fans. 

It was all very similar to the Catalans discussions (albeit at a much higher base level of c30k). 

We see it in Union, we see it in the NRL, it isn't the unique UK RL thing many believe. 

And my attitude remains the same: somewhere along the way, there has been a failure if you're resorting to giving a premium event away for free.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

And my attitude remains the same: somewhere along the way, there has been a failure if you're resorting to giving a premium event away for free.

I understand why the Aussies have the strategy they do (partly) , but a semi final in that huge stadium always carries a big risk of looking poor. 

30k doesn't seem too bad for this game, so I'm not sure the additional 5k they got through freebies was game changing. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dave T said:

I understand why the Aussies have the strategy they do (partly) , but a semi final in that huge stadium always carries a big risk of looking poor. 

30k doesn't seem too bad for this game, so I'm not sure the additional 5k they got through freebies was game changing. 

Which is why I was a bit surprised they did it - it didn't really shift the crowd into where it wouldn't have gone anywhere but it did create a conversation around freebies, cheapness etc. at the end of what has been an amazingly good season for the NRL.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Which is why I was a bit surprised they did it - it didn't really shift the crowd into where it wouldn't have gone anywhere but it did create a conversation around freebies, cheapness etc. at the end of what has been an amazingly good season for the NRL.

Agreed. If they move the crowd from 30k to 50k, or even if it was going to bomb at 10k and they made it respectable, it's more understandable, but it just appears to be a bit of an own goal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Going off the need to give away tickets for the preliminary final, NSW cant get fans to invade the seats, never mind the pitch.

I am actually really surprised at that attendance. I expected more from the Panthers fans.

It’s probably quite damning of the stadium too. I mean it is an absolute sham of a joint to get to and the fans have never been in favour of its current configuration. That match had Parra Stadium written all over it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JonNgog said:

Saints have posted two very different attendances for this game - 10,350 and 14,036. Presumably you reckon the latter is a mistake? (see the bottom of this page - https://www.saintsrlfc.com/matches/2023/first-team/saints-v-hull-fc-2023-09-22/)

The latter wasn't a mistake in my view. The home ends were far more full than for an average game. I'd say 14,000 was about correct from a visual perspective. I'm not sure why it was so much higher. Maybe LMS and Roby's last league match at home? Or a chance, no matter how remote, of a trophy?

11 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Going off the need to give away tickets for the preliminary final, NSW cant get fans to invade the seats, never mind the pitch.

Now Now the NRL has one of best seasons ever for attendance's including NSW but let's not get too annoyed with 1 game.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, meast said:

5,600 at Huddersfield, above average, certainly not shocking unless you're counting the empty seats instead?

Great crowd with Fartown having nothing to play for. I don’t know if t’weather was as bad over there as it was in Lancashire. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JonNgog said:

I don’t understand how the club and the press get figures so wrong. There did look more than 10,300 in attendance but i wouldn’t have thought 14,000 was there. But i am not in charge of the turnstiles. 

10 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

In the past they have had direct trains from penrith to the stadium so pretty simple to get to. Dont know if they did this for this weeks game.

Im not confident most the supporters would necessarily be coming from Penrith to watch that game, except for the unemployed ones.

13 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I am actually really surprised at that attendance. I expected more from the Panthers fans.

It’s probably quite damning of the stadium too. I mean it is an absolute sham of a joint to get to and the fans have never been in favour of its current configuration. That match had Parra Stadium written all over it.

It's a poor stadium to visit, not close enough to the field and getting public transport after is an ordeal. Having said that if I'd heard about the free tickets sooner I would of gone 😅

Ozzies you have your own forum to bore each other on.

It's here. https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/forum/66-the-australian-rugby-league-forum/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.