Fartown

Brilliant video of the abandoned Fartown if anyone likes that sort of thing. 

Very sad seeing the place I have so many wonderful teenage memories in that state. 

If only Ken Davy had come along 5 years earlier! 😔

Edited by daz39
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Does an amateur play on there now - just with it all being marked out, I'm assuming someone plays on it? Can't remember playing against anyone there myself if i'm honest but would be great to see it tidied up a bit and a community club make it their home. 

Yes, St Joseph's play there still.

• Thanks 1

I reffed St Joseph's at fartwon once - it was very weird. Like performing a play in a derelict theatre. A few rusted turnstiles were still there.

• Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Fartown was the first 'away' ground I visited in the old Second Division.

It was a glorious September afternoon, with about 200 people basking in the late summer sunshine along that vast terracing. Empty, yet full of the ghosts of the past.

You could feel the history, even though the ground was looking very tired by that point. 

Song of the day:

"Forty two, eyes of blue: Trevor Leathley's after you. Na Na Na Naaa, Na Na Naaa, Na Naaa" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never attended a game there.  I do remember Yorkshire  playing cricket there.  The John Player Sunday League, which the Beeb used to broadcast every Sunday.  They also showed a game from the old Park Avenue ground too.  

It's a shame that most of the "big grounds" of my early interest in the game have gone.  Central Park, Station Road, Fartown, The Boulevard - all test grounds and semi final venues.  Odsal's still there of course but fit for nothing really these days, the only one that's left is Headingley and tbf Leeds have modernised and kept up to it.   I was at the Mount the other week, and that's now the oldest ground in the league and a very nice ground it is too.   I have unhappy memories of it though, I was on the wrong end of 72-2 there in a U17 cup final in 1963 😟

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Played there once:

UAU Cup Final ...  Bradford v Liverpool.

We got stuffed; they scored 50.

The changing rooms were terrible ... dark satanic mills. There was a humorous message on the door to a toilet cubicle, along the lines of:

Economy Measures: Three sheets of toilet tissue only. Once Up,  once down and one to polish.

That is the only thing I want to remember about the game!

😀

Edited by Wolford6
  • Haha 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I remember attending the Cup semi final in 1976,Keighley 4,Saints 5. That was a dour affair played in heavy mud.

We often went there with high hopes of a Hunslet win,especially when Fartown were poor in the 70s. Sadly,it rarely came to pass with Ken Senior and Trevor Leathley scoring tries for fun against us.

Always a good ground for atmosphere,even with a few hundred in attendance,

Went to Fartown once in my school years. I love these old grounds, sadly they're disappearing. This footage reminded me of Oldham when we lost Watersheddings 😢. I was devastated. I love the old grounds that we still have- Keighley, Castleford, Whitehaven,Barrow etc. The new one's have no soul, they're sterile.

Edited by moorside roughyed
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Went to Fartown once in my school years. I love these old grounds, sadly they're disappearing. This footage reminded me of Oldham when we lost Watersheddings 😢. I was devastated. I love the old grounds that we still have- Keighley, Castleford, Whitehaven,Barrow etc. The new one's have no soul, they're sterile.

Sterile as in not smelling of ###### 😂