The Red Card Today

12 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Many keep calling it a tackle, ball carriers don't tackle they try and break free from them. The initial contact is by Myler with both arms around his neck whilst the player is in a stooped position. Ok it all goes wrong from there. But my initial point is that it's a very strange incident . 

You are right mate, it was really odd and I've never seen a collision like it, but it was still an awful challenge.

Glad you won today though, as are most of us on here. 

The fact he was the ball carrier is incidental. He went beyond what was necessary to challenge his opponent, and put him near headfirst into the ground. 

Bit of a brain explosion perhaps but he’ll know it was a fair kop.

I wouldn’t take fozzards word on what is reasonable on the pitch as he always played at the edge of what many might think was fair. Perhaps he should have watched before commenting!?

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

8 hours ago, Just Browny said:

It's a horror challenge (presumably 'tackle' is the wrong word) and there can be no argument with the red.

I don't particularly like Myler these days but the way he is occasionally blamed for the fouls committed against him is quite silly.

The Wilkin effect.

8 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Dangerous tackle and justifiably a red card.It is more than a yellow.

Technically not a dangerous tackle as he was not tackling, it was dangerous play.

9 hours ago, Damien said:

Nick Fozzard has his say. This from the man suing the sport for not protecting him:

I am just staggered at this.

I mean, how on earth can you have a legal case in process saying the game didn't protect you and simultaneously criticise these types of decisions.

I like to think I am not a mean spirited person in general but I hope he gets nothing.

• Like 8

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Many keep calling it a tackle, ball carriers don't tackle they try and break free from them. The initial contact is by Myler with both arms around his neck whilst the player is in a stooped position. Ok it all goes wrong from there. But my initial point is that it's a very strange incident . 

I far as I saw, he lost the ball before the tackle came in, Myler received the ball and then the player in question tackled him.  Watch the highlights more closely and you will see the player knock on the ball striaght to Myler.

It was a tackle on a player with the ball... a straight red for sure.   If you can not see that on the highlight video I would suggest either you or I get a new pair of glasses or go down to specsavers..... I'm just cleaning my glasses to have another look.... chuckle

Edited by redjonn

Don't think anyone disputed the live decision though without all the replays and various angles.  Anyway, our reduction to 12 men just gave us a bit more Kudos for the win.

Anyone got a clip of the Rhinos physio/water carrier running through the Wakefield defensive line during a 2nd half Rhino's attack?  That was the only incident I recall berating the ref for. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

10 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

I'm not sure what you expect Myler to do, when an attacker runs towards him head first. Can see from that replay that Myler's left arm is clearly wrapped beneath the Wakefield player's armpit, not his neck. Can't see his other arm on that angle. The Wakefield player is in a dangerous position if Myler was to then try and force him down, so can understand the initial lift. But he then uses both arms to twist him upside down and dump him into the ground, he's given up any pretence of having control of the ball by this point.

Refs won't have many easier red cards to give.

• Like 1

I’ve said a few times before that the application of some rules often differentiate in relation to attack or defence . They shouldn’t , a defender does that straight red - that there is a straight red 

Edited by DavidM

A few people seem to be missing that the Wakey player isn't actually in possesion of the ball, he has lost it in contact and thats why you can see his right hand around Mylers thigh and is then able to hook and lift with his left hand. I reckon he is actually trying to execute a tackle on Myler thinking Myler now has the ball and he has either got it really badly wrong or he has lost his head at the thought that he has made a mistake and handed Leeds the ball. It's as clear a red as you will see but its just a really weird incident.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

The ball carrier stood up straight. As horrible as it incident was, he stood up while the tackler managed himself into the floor with both arms available. Very odd mind...

Salabio has both arms wrapped around Myler.. I would guess Myler has actually stripped the ball as Salabio didnt have control of it.. but he tackles him headfirst into the ground. Myler was manhandled into the floor by Salabio.

12 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Firstly I must apologise for not getting a link.

However I have just seen today's high lights of the Wakey Leeds game . I have been watching this game for years and that is the weirdest sending off I have seen. The French Trialist has the ball and is going forward and Myler tackles him high, the Wakey player just raises is body to shake him off and Myler goes head first into the ground. I have seen Myler doing something similar before and getting a player penalised. I would be interested what some of you think when you see this, but I think this is harsh on the young French Trialist.

Wow

59 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

A few people seem to be missing that the Wakey player isn't actually in possesion of the ball, he has lost it in contact and thats why you can see his right hand around Mylers thigh and is then able to hook and lift with his left hand. I reckon he is actually trying to execute a tackle on Myler thinking Myler now has the ball and he has either got it really badly wrong or he has lost his head at the thought that he has made a mistake and handed Leeds the ball. It's as clear a red as you will see but its just a really weird incident.

i saw the clip on twitter last night, i didn't realise the wakey player was in posession initially, looking at this now, looks like he's dropped the ball and panicked assuming myler has it, and then the big dump tackle.

now, IF he DID have the ball when he started the movement, it does go back to what was said before, and how the rules possibly should apply in defence and attack, ie the complaints about ball carriers using the shoulder charge in attack.

however, i think the former happened

I can only say that in his six years playing here he has never been sent-off.

Never in trouble

Edited by audois
  • Like 1

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

7 minutes ago, audois said:

I can only say that in his six years playing here he has never been sent-off.

Never in trouble

Must be the food throwing him off.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Red card, no doubt/

If that was a Salford player I'd be annoyed as perhaps arguably Myler's bumbled wrap around might have been clocked by some. Frustrated with the recklessness.

Salabio needs to hone his tackle technique. But to pick Myler up like a straw dolly shows he has some strength.

5 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Exactly this. That picture posted further up shows that no one has the ball so this is essentially the Wakey player grabbing the Leeds player off the ball and dumping him on his head. It would only be the same if a player was punched. Both examples are an act of violence off the ball and anything in that vein is a red. 

• Like 1