World Cup Bidding

the uk did as the uk does in last years wc - bend over backwards in the name of inclusiveness and diversity no matter what the cost thats the uk way these days - I doubt the same mindset would exist in a major tournament down under- good thing? bad thing? who knows ?

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

England Women's RU have just thrashed everyone bar France in their 6 Nations - so 4 blowouts and 1 competitive game. But it doesn't stop them hyping up their games to the max and trying to make them big events.

The blow outs in womens RU recently have been a big topic of conversation 

It has been perceived as a real problem recently 

Google it 

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Google it 

A problem for who? The full house attendances who watched them at Newcastle and Northampton didn't seem bothered

• Like 3

I think it would be a great comp with lots of close competitive games. We all want more nations to be able to compete but for now 8 is as many as we can get. I’m happy with an 8 team WC as long as there are lots of opportunities for the other nations to play in tournaments and maybe challenge for the 8th spot in the next WC

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

I think it would be a great comp with lots of close competitive games. We all want more nations to be able to compete but for now 8 is as many as we can get. I’m happy with an 8 team WC as long as there are lots of opportunities for the other nations to play in tournaments and maybe challenge for the 8th spot in the next WC

The World Cup is the carrot for the emerging nations. So we’ll in their comps and get a shot at the big teams. Take that route away and those emerging nations will decline. All the work of the past few decades will have been a waste of time. 

Delay the comp 2 years and have it with some decent numbers, then start the 4 year cycle again. Let’s not rush into the cheap option

• Like 2

From a Welsh perspective this is sickening.

There are around 2,300 registered juniors in Wales this year - what on Earth are we giving them to aspire to if Wales aren’t at least factored into a qualification process?

There’s huge merits and benefits to an 8 team tournament, I do appreciate that but from a selfish stance it screams of NRL insularity. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

There are around 2,300 registered juniors in Wales this year - what on Earth are we giving them to aspire to if Wales aren’t at least factored into a qualification process?

There’s huge merits and benefits to an 8 team tournament, I do appreciate that but from a selfish stance it screams of NRL insularity. 

From a selfish perspective I would enjoy watching an 8 team WC due to the competitiveness of the teams involved. I do understand the frustrations of countries like Wales though who seem to be building nicely. 

Would annual games against England and France help?

How about this for a compromise, a 10 team WC. 2 qualifiers to come from a repechage of 4 euro, 1 MEA, 1 Americas and cook islands. WC with 2 pools of 5, each group only has 1 'gimme' but hopefully given that we're getting the best of the rest should at least mean teams can't fully take their feet off the gas against these teams.

Edited by sam4731
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

One home game in Wales in five years might be a decent starting point. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Google it 

Woman play RU?.... I thought they were more intelligent than that...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

From a selfish perspective I would enjoy watching an 8 team WC due to the competitiveness of the teams involved. I do understand the frustrations of countries like Wales though who seem to be building nicely. 

Would annual games against England and France help?

The problem with striving for that "competitiveness" is that it isn't even guaranteed.

• Like 1

NZ could hold the  RLWC on a stand alone  basis and It would  be one of the best, far better than in Aussie were they have been in the past, poorly  attended.  Kiwis  are well known for supporting big events and you could guarantee big crowds in the main centers.  It's a full house at MT Smart tonight for the Souths v Warriors game around 27,000 and would be much bigger if they could fit them in.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, frank said:

NZ could hold the  RLWC on a stand alone  basis and It would  be one of the best, far better than in Aussie were they have been in the past, poorly  attended.  Kiwis  are well known for supporting big events and you could guarantee big crowds in the main centers.  It's a full house at MT Smart tonight for the Souths v Warriors game around 27,000 and would be much bigger if they could fit them in.

Do you really think it would be well attended to lots of games? Didn't think there were enough people down there!

What is the point of an 8 team WC? Seriously..

To generate money for the International game? Which would be used to spend on repairing the damage done by abandoning other nationals excluded from the recent 8 team WC maybe?

The Aussie proposal should be an absolute last resort. Though  even as a last resort, with so few options, it’s probably still no.2 on the list.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just FO. Seriously.

If Aussie RL was cashstrapped, fine - go with this. But it isn't, and their first instinct is to go with the shittest, cheapest option they think they can get away with. It's disgusting.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 8

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

What is the point of an 8 team WC? Seriously..

To generate money for the International game? Which would be used to spend on repairing the damage done by abandoning other nationals excluded from the recent 8 team WC maybe?

The Aussie proposal should be an absolute last resort. Though  even as a last resort, with so few options, it’s probably still no.2 on the list.

What’s the point of an 8 team WC. What an odd question!

How about determining who the best team in the world is? Or having by far the most intense and highest playing standard WC ever?

These are pretty valid reasons in my book.

1 hour ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

RLWC in UK  lost money, despite millions in government grants 

If no government backs it, why would NRL lose millions to show Wales v Greece and Scotland v jamicia in empty stadiums? 

And yes, Italy, Scotland, Wales, Ireland should play each other with monies from IRL/ NRL provided 

They can't even fill the stadiums when the top six are playing, as we have seen in the past.

3 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

If no government backs it, why would NRL lose millions to show Wales v Greece and Scotland v jamicia in empty stadiums? 

And yes, Italy, Scotland, Wales, Ireland should play each other with monies from IRL/ NRL provided 

The 2021 world cup subsidised a womans comp and a  wheelchair comp in the name of inclusiveness and suffered from the a years delay. The government grant meant it was saturated in the North.

A 16 team mens world cup in Australia and or New Zealand could turn a profit.

Edited by Jparrish
  • Like 2

8 teams doesn't feel like a WC. It sounds like a great competition, but it's not a WC.

If we're not going to have a proper WC, just call it the World Championships or something of that ilk and do a proper WC the year after. You shouldn't be allowed to go into this half-*rsed.

I think an 8 team comp below that level (hosted anywhere) would be interesting. The likes of Wales, France, Scotland, Ireland, Greece, Italy, Jamaica, Cook Islands could have a great tournament.

• Like 2
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

18 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I think an 8 team comp below that level (hosted anywhere) would be interesting. The likes of Wales, France, Scotland, Ireland, Greece, Italy, Jamaica, Cook Islands could have a great tournament.

They could but it would likely need support from the bigger nations and International RL.

And if they're doing the actual World Cup as cheaply as possible ...

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

58 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

8 teams doesn't feel like a WC. It sounds like a great competition, but it's not a WC.

If we're not going to have a proper WC, just call it the World Championships or something of that ilk and do a proper WC the year after. You shouldn't be allowed to go into this half-*rsed.

I like this idea

6 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Do we actually know the figures for 2022WC. How much money did it lose?