New England Kit?

I like it, I think it looks smart on the players, far better than the floating shirt on its own.

I think the move away from White and Red is a good one, and it really is more in line with what many have asked for.

I think it is a traditional RL kit, and it is very different from an England RU kit, which I like. The white and Blue is seen plenty through England football. They've brought in red that many didn't like missing from last year.

All good as far as I'm concerned,

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I like it, I think it looks smart on the players, far better than the floating shirt on its own.

I think the move away from White and Red is a good one, and it really is more in line with what many have asked for.

I think it is a traditional RL kit, and it is very different from an England RU kit, which I like. The white and Blue is seen plenty through England football. They've brought in red that many didn't like missing from last year.

All good as far as I'm concerned,

Conceptually I'm on board with this now. They look like they're going to stick with a navy V and will probably look to bring in just enough red to not be a GB kit.

However the main issue I have is Oxen. Another side effect of their overproduction (across all clubs they supply) is that they use the same shirt construction making them all look very samey.

We've seen this shiny raglan sleeve number over and over, the only difference is the collar has been cut flat across but I expect we'll see this on every other teams shirts next year too. The design itself isn't bad but with a more premium construction and material it would look infinitely better. The Classic GB shirts weren't ground breaking but they sold well because they felt like a premium product. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

31 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Conceptually I'm on board with this now. They look like they're going to stick with a navy V and will probably look to bring in just enough red to not be a GB kit.

However the main issue I have is Oxen. Another side effect of their overproduction (across all clubs they supply) is that they use the same shirt construction making them all look very samey.

We've seen this shiny raglan sleeve number over and over, the only difference is the collar has been cut flat across but I expect we'll see this on every other teams shirts next year too. The design itself isn't bad but with a more premium construction and material it would look infinitely better. The Classic GB shirts weren't ground breaking but they sold well because they felt like a premium product. 

Things like that don't bother me tbh. Major shirt producers use a lot of repetition in the world of football. I don't buy replica kits, so can't comment on quality, but the few items I have bought (hoodies) have been very good quality).

On 25/08/2023 at 20:35, Henson Park Old Firm said:

spacer.png

They should go back too this snazzy ensemble 

Not only is the RFL logo from that era a beautiful thing, as others have commented, but the England RL badge with lion rampant is also better than the current England logo.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

6 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Not only is the RFL logo from that era a beautiful thing, as others have commented, but the England RL badge with lion rampant is also better than the current England logo.

Anything would be better than the current logo, it looks horrific on every top and does nothing to help the design of any jersey. If anything needs a rebrand its that.

• Like 1

As ive already mentioned. I don't personally like the dominant blue. I dont care if football do it - we should be white, with a red double V.

The badge is still lingering in the sports direct design bracket, sadly. 

As others have mentioned, I would simply take the GB Badge, and brand England as the Lions.

20 hours ago, The British Lion said:

As ive already mentioned. I don't personally like the dominant blue. I dont care if football do it - we should be white, with a red double V.

The badge is still lingering in the sports direct design bracket, sadly. 

As others have mentioned, I would simply take the GB Badge, and brand England as the Lions.

The annoying thing is they actually developed a nice lions head that was enough different from GB to not be a total rip off but be nice and "iconic" and be able to be built into a brand but they never seem to bloody use it which is infuriating!

spacer.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RP London said:

The annoying thing is they actually developed a nice lions head that was enough different from GB to not be a total rip off but be nice and "iconic" and be able to be built into a brand but they never seem to bloody use it which is infuriating!

spacer.png

madness!!!

• Like 2

I have had a ponder on this before sharing my (irrelevant!) view. 

They have a difficult job designing an England RL kit now I think. 

ISC tried the hoops from a retro kit as an England kit and fans moaned it was too Wigan. 

The natural design would be white with red "V" but that is too St Helens. 

We had some success with the white with a cross of St George but people see that as a nationalist symbol nowadays and I doubt it will return. 

The idea of white with a navy "V" seems ok to me and I liked the RLWC kit. 

I agree with the sponsor positioning being too low, but as a concept I think we should stick with the white and navy to create an identity. 

The away kit should always be this though... and yes I know thats GB and not England but I dont care 🙂 !!

2019-great-britain-rugby-league-authenti

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

2 hours ago, jacobus said:

I have had a ponder on this before sharing my (irrelevant!) view. 

They have a difficult job designing an England RL kit now I think. 

ISC tried the hoops from a retro kit as an England kit and fans moaned it was too Wigan. 

The natural design would be white with red "V" but that is too St Helens. 

We had some success with the white with a cross of St George but people see that as a nationalist symbol nowadays and I doubt it will return. 

The idea of white with a navy "V" seems ok to me and I liked the RLWC kit. 

I agree with the sponsor positioning being too low, but as a concept I think we should stick with the white and navy to create an identity. 

The away kit should always be this though... and yes I know thats GB and not England but I dont care 🙂 !!

2019-great-britain-rugby-league-authenti

I've said it before but that GB Lions badge is up there with one of the best sporting badges there has been in any sport, it's pretty much perfect! I wonder how it originated and whether it was a drop of luck or actually well thought out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

I've said it before but that GB Lions badge is up there with one of the best sporting badges there has been in any sport, it's pretty much perfect! I wonder how it originated and whether it was a drop of luck or actually well thought out!

It really is a timeless classic and hasn't aged a bit. I don't think it could be bettered.

I think the fact that it wouldn't look out of place if it was released now as a modern rebrand, despite being 40 odd years old, says it all.

• Like 1

That is an ungainly mess of a shirt. Badly proportioned with different elements tagged on. It doesn't flow or come together at all. 

I wasn't a fan of the World Cup shirt but it looked quite a bit better than this hodge-podge.

14 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Does anyone know the answer to this?

When did the Lion badge come into existence etc?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Does anyone know the answer to this?

When did the Lion badge come into existence etc?

Looking back on Google it looks like 1984 was the first time it was used. 

After looking at it for a while, one thing struck me. Personally I don't think it's a perfect logo at all, and I do think if this was launched nowadays with the level of pedantry and scrutiny that these things get, I think it would be criticised a fair bit. I think it benefits from nostalgia for blokes in their 40's and 50's who grew up watching the likes of Hanley, Gregory, Offiah etc wearing kits with this logo on. 

Sure, it's a nice logo (and clearly far, far superior to the current England one), but I think nostalgia is at play. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Looking back on Google it looks like 1984 was the first time it was used. 

After looking at it for a while, one thing struck me. Personally I don't think it's a perfect logo at all, and I do think if this was launched nowadays with the level of pedantry and scrutiny that these things get, I think it would be criticised a fair bit. I think it benefits from nostalgia for blokes in their 40's and 50's who grew up watching the likes of Hanley, Gregory, Offiah etc wearing kits with this logo on. 

Sure, it's a nice logo (and clearly far, far superior to the current England one), but I think nostalgia is at play. 

Nostalgia isn't necessarily a bad thing - and clearly it is at play to an extent - but it is recognisable and does 'work'. That counts for a lot.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)