Players Retiring 2023

We never seem to have thread yet these players put the body on the line for us and their teams.

In addition we should take a leaf out of NRLs book and have a parade of those whose played at the top that are retiring at the Grand Final. The first I've seen....

Steve Crossley.

• Like 5

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

5 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

We never seem to have thread yet these players put the body on the line for us and their teams.

In addition we should take a leaf out of NRLs book and have a parade of those whose played at the top that are retiring at the Grand Final. The first I've seen....

Steve Crossley.

I like the parade of retiring players that the NRL do. Less keen on them also including players who have signed for SL sides.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

59 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I like the parade of retiring players that the NRL do. Less keen on them also including players who have signed for SL sides.

It was interesting seeing a few old faces playing in the Q Cup Final 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wakey Til I Die said:

Kevin Proctor retired in February. 

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Not Super League but a huge thank your to Rob Massam of North Wales Crusaders.

Rob unfortunately got taken off around the 60 minute mark at our play-off eliminator final at Hunslet for a head injury assessment - which he failed. This means that unfortunately he won't be able to play in the play-off final in Doncaster and having announced he was retiring Hunslet was his last game, after scoring his 178th try for Crusaders

https://wrl.wales/rob-massam-retires-after-helping-crusaders-to-the-final?fbclid=IwAR0nigHLvNEb-gcdpez7mmrw4rmVtw2N2KPpjAR9PRIJ65FNL9fi9kGAasU

• Like 5

On 18/09/2023 at 12:40, Mumby Magic said:

Steve Crossley.

Yeah I really think we miss a trick not doing this. It’s a nice touch at the end of a players career maybe get each club to nominate at least one player they want to attend. 

18 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

James Lockwood confirmed as retiring at the end of this season. One of the most widely-admired players amongst his peers, as well as coaches, in the Championship.

Been a real workhorse for a long time.  Think it was around 1998 when he was at Sharlston juniors (U13s?).  I also recall him as a trialist in the Wakefield Academy team at the curtain raiser (do people still use that term?) Saints v Wakefield 2006 when we lost one of the 4 from 6 games under Kear.  Shame he maybe just misses out on SL with Fev.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

4 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Been a real workhorse for a long time.  Think it was around 1998 when he was at Sharlston juniors (U13s?).  I also recall him as a trialist in the Wakefield Academy team at the curtain raiser (do people still use that term?) Saints v Wakefield 2006 when we lost one of the 4 from 6 games under Kear.  Shame he maybe just misses out on SL with Fev.

Think he has a good job outside RL and Josh Hardcastle said in a recent interview that if Fev had been promoted last season he would have retired, he came back for one last year to have one more crack at getting Fev up.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gogledd said:

Not Super League but a huge thank your to Rob Massam of North Wales Crusaders.

Rob unfortunately got taken off around the 60 minute mark at our play-off eliminator final at Hunslet for a head injury assessment - which he failed. This means that unfortunately he won't be able to play in the play-off final in Doncaster and having announced he was retiring Hunslet was his last game, after scoring his 178th try for Crusaders

https://wrl.wales/rob-massam-retires-after-helping-crusaders-to-the-final?fbclid=IwAR0nigHLvNEb-gcdpez7mmrw4rmVtw2N2KPpjAR9PRIJ65FNL9fi9kGAasU

The game can be cruel at times and a top semi pro like Rob Massam deserved to go out on a high with a League 1 play off final appearance. I am not a NWC supporter and I have never met Rob in person. However I have seen him play a few times and I have always admired his no nonsense approach when taking the ball out of yardage. I first saw him playing for Rochdale at Featherstone when Alan Kilshaw was the Rochdale coach. Rob always appears to be a very fair sporting type player and I can’t imagine that he has appeared at the disciplinary much if at all during his career. Anyway good luck in retirement Rob. One of those unsung hero’s wether a SL player or not.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

James Lockwood confirmed as retiring at the end of this season. One of the most widely-admired players amongst his peers, as well as coaches, in the Championship.

Fantastic player and servant at what he does. On the field of play no favours asked for and certainly none given. As mentioned by others I also watched him at amateur clubs Sharlston and Crofton. Superb career James enjoy rugby retirement.