England v Tonga series

14 hours ago, Damien said:

New sponsor for the back of the Engalnd jerseys. A few days before the first game speaks volumes:

So we've gone from Ronseal as a sponsor for our national team to University of Central Lancashire 🫣. Says it all about the international game

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

So we've gone from Ronseal as a sponsor for our national team to University of Central Lancashire 🫣. Says it all about the international game

Do you know how much either Ronseal or UCL have paid for their sponsorship? If UCL are paying more then what’s the problem. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Do you know how much either Ronseal or UCL have paid for their sponsorship? If UCL are paying more then what’s the problem. 

Firstly, I highly doubt a university, who announced their sponsorship 3 days before a series, have paid more than an established brand such as Ronseal.

Secondly, brand affiliation matters a lot. I could go on at length, but it would take the thread off at a tangent and probably worth setting up a separate thread if you wished to discuss further

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The " problem " is either the RFL marketing department tried their best to get recognisable sponsorship for the national team and nobody was interested,  except UCLan, or they didn't didn't do their jobs properly and didn't try very hard to get better. Sad indictment either way.

Edited by HawkMan

36 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I think UCL is perfect.  Its a local university situated in the M62 for the M62 Trophy between England and Tonga. My only sadness is that its not Leeds Met rather than UCL who are in Preston

Maybe if you try and expand the International team outside the M62 for one of the games you might get a national sponser, but if your restricting the games into one region then your only going to get regional spnosers

Edited by crashmon

46 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Firstly, I highly doubt a university, who announced their sponsorship 3 days before a series, have paid more than an established brand such as Ronseal.

Secondly, brand affiliation matters a lot. I could go on at length, but it would take the thread off at a tangent and probably worth setting up a separate thread if you wished to discuss further

It does, but football teams choose Asian betting firms that nobody has ever heard of as their sponsors because they pay far more than blue chip companies. They couldn’t care less what’s on their jerseys as long as the cash is flowing in, so why should the RFL?

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It does, but football teams choose Asian betting firms that nobody has ever heard of as their sponsors because they pay far more than blue chip companies. They couldn’t care less what’s on their jerseys as long as the cash is flowing in, so why should the RFL?

I admire your optimism but do you really think that is the case here? Do you really believe this is a conscious decision based on choice?

Maybe you are right and the RFL are overwhelmed with offers and UCLan are just paying far more than nationally established blue chip brands and all those Asian betting firms. I can't see it personally.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised if the England team is based at UCLAN - some teams were for the RLWC, they have a strong sports business department and I think a strong RL team - and the RFL are getting it free in return for a sponsors patch. 

Edited by nadera78
  • Like 2

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Whose map has Preston along the M62?

A university is a good prestigious sponsor and doesn't compare to the local chimney sweep*.

*genuine match sponsor heard at a recent Championship game.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

All sponsors should be welcomed to the game, and we do have plenty of history with UCLan. 

But our ability to attract and then retain sponsors has to be a huge concern. And why would they stay? 

Sponsoring the England RL team - that only plays 3 or 4 games pa, confined to small stadia in one region of the country, and (BBC match coverage excluded) with limited media coverage - is a very, very niche proposition. What's the return on it? It has to be very limited. 

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

59 minutes ago, crashmon said:

I think UCL is perfect.  Its a local university situated in the M62 for the M62 Trophy between England and Tonga. My only sadness is that its not Leeds Met rather than UCL who are in Preston

Maybe if you try and expand the International team outside the M62 for one of the games you might get a national sponser, but if your restricting the games into one region then your only going to get regional spnosers

Can you imagine the outcry if non-existent Leeds Met were sponsors over London- based UCL, consistently ranked as one of the top ten universities in the world.🙂

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 2

As someone who captained the University of Central Lancashire to its first major Rugby League trophy, I don't think I should take all the credit for their subsequent sponsorship of our national team. 

Just most of it.

• Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Absolutely. Wire don't just appeal as standard. The 1 match ban didn't affect us. It affected Williams and England. 

If England don’t pick him in the squad wouldn’t his ban carry over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

The " problem " is either the RFL marketing department tried their best to get recognisable sponsorship for the national team and nobody was interested,  except UCLan, or they didn't didn't do their jobs properly and didn't try very hard to get better. Sad indictment either way.

In a thread with people who aren't interesting in buying tickets, I wonder why sponsors wouldn't either, to use your analogy.

47 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I am still waiting for my tickets to be delivered for the first test on Sunday!. 

According to the e-mail I got, "If you have not received your tickets within seven days of the event, or within 48 hours of booking during the week of the event, please contact RFL Ticketing". I'd drop them a line.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I am still waiting for my tickets to be delivered for the first test on Sunday!. 

I went electronic and have had them emailed now 

Worth ringing up 

I am sure once you land at ground they will sort of you don't have....think I had to lick mine up from office once 

I'd get their early though 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Sponsoring the England RL team - that only plays 3 or 4 games pa, confined to small stadia in one region of the country, and (BBC match coverage excluded) with limited media coverage - is a very, very niche proposition. What's the return on it? It has to be very limited. 

Agreed. Sponsorships need to be exciting and aspirational. Sponsoring something that is going through the motions is not that attractive. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

If England don’t pick him in the squad wouldn’t his ban carry over. 

I'd expect that as he has been named in the squad he would be able to use at least the first match, and if he couldn't use the others, it would be a pre season game. 

I don't think this is linked to matchday squad, as banned players don't feature in matchday squad. 

But in the current world, this should wipe his ban out, he can't play for England because he is banned, he then shouldn't have that doubled down by being banned for his club. 

None of that justifies the current process BTW 

• Like 1