The IMG Gradings Thread - Post all your IMG Gradings related questions or comments here

12 hours ago, dboy said:

I expect that the kids ones are included, but most of the tickets sold are at at least the £150 value (East Stand).

I think the strategy is one of building a really solid fan base, ready for the hoped for return to SL next year.

If the kids turn up, to a nice stadium (stand at least), and watch a (mostly), winning team, next year becomes a little easier to sell.

£250 east stand 

• Like 1

On 15/11/2023 at 17:54, Dave T said:

Not massively unlike 2006 I suppose. 

I remember at the time how thrilled we were at Cas . It could have been worse though , at least there wasn't another team that finished above us by breaching salary cap , but then didn't get the points deducted until the following season . How bad would that have been ?😉

• Like 1

On 15/11/2023 at 13:11, Dave T said:

I'm not sure it's about difficulty, if anything I think IMG have made the process harder than it needed to be. The RFL's system broadly looked at the same things, they made it cleaner with the ring-fencing - although they then still messed it up somewhat with the guarantees around P&R. 

In reality, I don't think this system is compatible with P&R, and that's the flaw. They are retaining P&R to get enough support for it, but then the P&R element essentially undermines the whole system.

When it came out that there was still to be some P&R aspect to it I had the feeling that it was at the clubs insistence rather than IMGs idea. The grading system was supposed to be a chance of trying something new as change is definitely needed, but sticking with P&R when it is meant to be a system that encourages clubs to try and improve off the field without having to fear relegation has the potential of turning the system into a mess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

And it is purported by many that competitive on field P&R is not good, would Wakefield have had this upturn in interest if they had not been relegated and were still limping along in the lower echelons of SL?

The upturn in interest is probably down to a two or three factor:  Having a new owner who has 'a few quid' but also the business acumen to run the club. A whole new coaching and back office structure. A ground that is at long last being developed.  This combination of factors has led to a wave of optimism and excitement for the future the like of which I've not seen in fifty years of watching Wakefield Trinity.

We'll never know but, had Wakefield avoided relegation and with the factors mentioned above perhaps they might not have limped along.  It won't be easy in the Championship and there are one or two supporters getting a bit ahead of themselves. There'll be some blips along the way but early signs are that a sleeping giant may be awakened.

• Like 6

The upturn in interest has nothing to do with relegation, and everything to do with the new owner. After years of been told 'if you want a good team to support then you will have to pay for it' to 'I'll put in funding to create a good team that people want to watch' is an massive about turn. Also we have gone from a reluctancy to do the bare minimum in terms of promotion to really pushing to get the clubs name out there. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

And it is purported by many that competitive on field P&R is not good, would Wakefield have had this upturn in interest if they had not been relegated and were still limping along in the lower echelons of SL?

Hang on Harry, you said without P&R no one would want to watch the championship.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Aren’t Wakefield in line to go into SL 2025 through the grading won’t that be having an effect. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

The upturn in interest has nothing to do with relegation, and everything to do with the new owner. After years of been told 'if you want a good team to support then you will have to pay for it' to 'I'll put in funding to create a good team that people want to watch' is an massive about turn. Also we have gone from a reluctancy to do the bare minimum in terms of promotion to really pushing to get the clubs name out there. 

100%.

The vibes around the club are much more positive and "can do". The old regime whilst fiscally prudent was simply not wealthy enough to really do anything with the club themselves. 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2023 at 11:25, dboy said:

Yes, we know we won't have it all our own way, but it will be lovely.

It's easy being a fan of a "successful" club.

Those who have stuck with Wakey through thick and thin are true fans.

Exactly this. It’s easy to be a fan when your team is winning and the top end of Super League, as a Leigh fan I know all too well about disappointment. I’m really pleased to see Leigh on the way to nearly 4000 season memberships (inc renewals) for 2024.

Good Luck to Wakefield I think their fans will love the Championship as it’s a different game altogether and somewhat more entertaining. If they can continue to build a team and a crowd they can come back up ala Hull KR and Leigh

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

When it came out that there was still to be some P&R aspect to it I had the feeling that it was at the clubs insistence rather than IMGs idea. The grading system was supposed to be a chance of trying something new as change is definitely needed, but sticking with P&R when it is meant to be a system that encourages clubs to try and improve off the field without having to fear relegation has the potential of turning the system into a mess.

Agreed. It's a fudge that is flawed. 

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Aren’t Wakefield in line to go into SL 2025 through the grading won’t that be having an effect. 

Nailed on Bob, just realised that my club finished in a higher position last season than the other 4 'B's in SL ahead of us on the spreadsheet plus Toulouse, plus 3 'A' graders, and we will most likely start 2025 in the Championship even if we finish ahead of all those again next season. That can't be right can it?

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nailed on Bob, just realised that my club finished in a higher position last season than the other 4 'B's in SL ahead on the spreadsheet plus Toulouse, plus 3 'A' graders, and we will most likely start 2025 in the Championship even if we finish ahead of all those again next season. That can't be right can it?

Only last season, isn’t the grading over 3 seasons.

Up the Trin

Love this Club 

Love this City 

1 minute ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Only last season, isn’t the grading over 3 seasons.

Up the Trin

Love this Club 

Love this City 

But when posed the question on TV, Tony Sutton had not a clue how it was going to be delivered and when clubs would know their fate if they would be in SL or the Championship, as I have said before if they leave it till the end of the season and a club misses out by a decimal point, that club will want some transparency and would probably employ 'legals' and that could take quite a while to sort out, maybe into the proposed start of 2025 !