Jack Welsby off to the NRL ?

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

The Mole thinks there is a deal to be done.

WWS - Three Club race for Welsby

I think currently Saints will want too much money and it will make clubs wait until he’s got less time on his contract. The other thing is if you are going to sign for an NRL club those two are pretty much the last you would want to sign for. Not sure who the third club is but I would imagine it’s the Dolphins who  maybe worth a punt for him. 

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I think currently Saints will want too much money and it will make clubs wait until he’s got less time on his contract. The other thing is if you are going to sign for an NRL club those two are pretty much the last you would want to sign for. Not sure who the third club is but I would imagine it’s the Dolphins who  maybe worth a punt for him. 

Agree with all of this, with the slight exception that IIRC I think Farnworth has signed for the dolphins with the rumour being that he is going to play full back. This might add a spanner in the works if Welsby was to join them. Having said that, if they decide to play Welsby in the halves and Farnworth as FB then that could be good news for a future partnership for England.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

If the Mole isn't just throwing out baseless speculation (can never be ruled out with him) I'd say the third non-Sydney club is very short odds to be the Raiders. 

Their fullback position is up for grabs as they used both Sebastian Kris and Jordan Rapana throughout the season but didn't really settle on one or the other. Additionally, they've just lost their big money marquee in Jack Wighton and haven't found a replacement that uses that cap space yet.

• Like 1

The sort of deal that can usefully bring money into the game if they can get a bumper fee.

Shame if he goes for SL - but spent wisely it can be used to improve the club and SL.

If he does go, good luck to the guy. Who can blame him? If the views posted on the TRL forum are even the slightest bit representative of the future of the game here, then he's bound to feel that he's better off all round going to Australia to work rest and play. 

20 minutes ago, JohnM said:

If he does go, good luck to the guy. Who can blame him? If the views posted on the TRL forum are even the slightest bit representative of the future of the game here, then he's bound to feel that he's better off all round going to Australia to work rest and play. 

Maybe he wants to go to a league where he can get embroiled in a tense relegation battle... oh.

• Sad 1

Ready to get shot down, but If Jack is to play Full Back in the NRL I think his defensive qualities will be showcased for all the wrong reasons, he gets away with it in SL somewhat but I fear he won't in the NRL. Still his offence is very good.

The NRL is totally blessed with the quality of full backs it has, I would love to see where Jack would sit in that table at the end of a season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ready to get shot down, but If Jack is to play Full Back in the NRL I think his defensive qualities will be showcased for all the wrong reasons, he gets away with it in SL somewhat but I fear he won't in the NRL. Still his offence is very good.

The NRL is totally blessed with the quality of full backs it has, I would love to see where Jack would sit in that table at the end of a season.

I think Welsby would be a better 6 than 1. He’s got a strong all round game more suited for stand off

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Defensively he improved as the season went on. He only turned 22 in March and it was his second season at fullback, I don't see why he can't improve further.

That said I think he'll end up at 6 eventually whether he stays or goes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Arguably the best player in the world, Will be very interesting to see who gets him. Reports coming out saying he's getting offered about 950k, which would make him one of the highest paid players in the comp.

Whether he is worth it or not, no NRL club is paying $950k for a player coming out of SL.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Whether he is worth it or not, no NRL club is paying $950k for a player coming out of SL.

There are reports coming out saying he could be offered that much. I’m not making it up.

https://www.zerotackle.com/three-club-race-to-sign-jack-welsby-164896/amp/

“This comes despite Welsby being contracted at St Helens RLFC until at least the end of the 2025 season. In the past it has been reported that he could generate as much as a three-year deal worth $2.75 million.”

917,000 a year.

Hardaker went as reigning man of steel and look what happened - same again a small fish in a big pond of world class full backs - not good enough for NRL - stay as the big fish in the SL pond

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

8 hours ago, Leonard said:

The sort of deal that can usefully bring money into the game if they can get a bumper fee.

Shame if he goes for SL - but spent wisely it can be used to improve the club and SL.

How much are you talking though, £500k?