Wigan v Penrith World Club challenge at the JJB

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

For those who don't know its Coors with a few more hops in it

Its clever marketing, make up a Spanish name, change slightly one of their own beers, flood the market and make a killing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Its clever marketing, make up a Spanish name, change slightly one of their own beers, flood the market and make a killing.

I find it baffling how people fall over themselves for it. It's ok, just a lager like loads of other lagers on the market. I recall a Saints fan describing it as 'life changing' when they started to serve it at the TW🤣

The machines look funky and should hopefully help with the ridiculous queues but I expect plenty of complaints about the lack of Mild. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Damien said:

It's a match under international rules, I'm not sure how you can blame the RFL. It is quite correct that the RFL's interpretation does not apply. If the boot was on the other foot then we certainly would not want the NRL rules to apply.

But don' the RFL as the governing body have a duty of care to their players? As has been mentioned before a lot of this seems to be revolved around insurance problems so what if, god forbid, one of the Wigan players ends up with a serious injury as a result of thse now relaxed rules? They can't make a big deal about this and then just turn around and say lets forget about it for a game.

21 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

But don' the RFL as the governing body have a duty of care to their players? As has been mentioned before a lot of this seems to be revolved around insurance problems so what if, god forbid, one of the Wigan players ends up with a serious injury as a result of thse now relaxed rules? They can't make a big deal about this and then just turn around and say lets forget about it for a game.

What do you think they do when they finish playing SL rules at the Grand Final and then England have to turn out against international teams?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Click said:

What do you think they do when they finish playing SL rules at the Grand Final and then England have to turn out against international teams?

Ive not a clue but afterall its not the Purge, seems strange that they can relax the rules for one game.

5 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Ive not a clue but afterall its not the Purge, seems strange that they can relax the rules for one game.

You can't always get exactly what you want. Life's about compromise and the reality here is that if we go in a different direction, then the alternative to compromise is us not playing these games or internationals. 

They are doing what needs to be done to stage things like this. But the overall impact is a reduction in head impacts (if their actions are the right ones of course). 

17 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Are they relaxing rules? Or are they playing under international rules which is what regularly happens for these games.

3 hours ago, Click said:

Are they relaxing rules? Or are they playing under international rules which is what regularly happens for these games.

You could be right but again if a player were unfortunate enough to get a serious injury then they would be in a position to sue the RFL because they decided, despite knowing the risks, to play the game under an outdated set of rules that meant the players were not as safe as they could be. I get the need for compromise but when it comes to player welfare it can't just be treat like an On/Off switch, that is unless all the talk about insurance was a little bit of a white lie told by the RFL.

Interesting to see what happens next season once the tackle height is further lowered in our game. Again there is a possibility that international games are covered by a different insurer but I think that is highly unlikely. 

20 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

You could be right but again if a player were unfortunate enough to get a serious injury then they would be in a position to sue the RFL because they decided, despite knowing the risks, to play the game under an outdated set of rules that meant the players were not as safe as they could be. I get the need for compromise but when it comes to player welfare it can't just be treat like an On/Off switch, that is unless all the talk about insurance was a little bit of a white lie told by the RFL.

Interesting to see what happens next season once the tackle height is further lowered in our game. Again there is a possibility that international games are covered by a different insurer but I think that is highly unlikely. 

I am getting the sense that you just want to play devil's advocate. 

All of this is not correct - the rules are there to try and minimise head contacts, etc. Everything that I have seen says that they are trialing it alongside the use of the new mouth guards and are trying to monitor the type of hits the players are taking. 

The RFL hasn't said that the rules before this season are completely unsafe, they are just trying to make it safer.

• Like 2

Team lists are out - no real shocks. We knew Luai was out for Panthers and I think Luke Thompson is the only Wigan player to miss out (other than long term injuries) so 2 very strong line ups. No excuses for either team - the days of this being passed off as a trial/friendly seem, thankfully, long behind us and we can all thank Saints for that IMO. 

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2024/02/22/nrl-teamlist-world-club-challenge/

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/02/22/wigan-squad-for-penrith/

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 1

Sorry, am I missing something in all this discussion of laws.

The laws of the game in the NRL, international competition and Super League outlaw the same things... direct contact with an opposition players head either recklessly or deliberately. 

All the UK game is doing is clamping down a bit on this contact through more cards, same as the NRL has done over the years.

Rest assured that clampdown will be eased a little on Saturday because that is  the pragmatic thing to do.

We should enjoy it till next year when the actual laws of the tackle are different and we really start to hit problems. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Not a good preview IMO. They don't even mention Field and French.

I turned off after about 60 seconds when they talked about Marshall and Miski being “two big bodies” in the Wigan back three - they’ve obviously never seen Wigan play.

This stuff is precisely why I always want the NRL side to lose even when it’s Wigan opposing them.

Cant wait for the game - will be there. I will stop short of actively supporting Wigan but I certainly won’t be supporting Penrith!

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I turned off after about 60 seconds when they talked about Marshall and Miski being “two big bodies” - they’ve obviously never seen them.

Every question about Wigan seemed to go straight back to Penrith as he had no idea about the Wigan side.

It was just cliche after cliché. You can talk in clichés till the cows come home

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

I turned off after about 60 seconds when they talked about Marshall and Miski being “two big bodies” in the Wigan back three - they’ve obviously never seen Wigan play.

This stuff is precisely why I always want the NRL side to lose even when it’s Wigan opposing them.

Cant wait for the game - will be there. I will stop short of actively supporting Wigan but I certainly won’t be supporting Penrith!

Disappointed that James Graham, who is usually one for pushing the Superleague and the British game failed to acknowledge this game is even taking place in his weekly podcast. If it matters that little over there that even Graham doesn’t feel compelled to mention it, then they value it less than even I realised. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/02/2024 at 04:07, StandOffHalf said:

I'm glad that it's going to be under international rules.

Nice to see the Bill Ashurst medal for the MOTM. A good gesture.

In 1974 saw him play his debut game for the Panthers at home to Manly?  He was really loved by the fans during his time at Penrith. One of my favourite players when I watched RL in England before I left the the UK in 1966.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, George Watt said:

In 1974 saw him play his debut game for the Panthers at home to Manly?  He was really loved by the fans during his time at Penrith. One of my favourite players when I watched RL in England before I left the the UK in 1966.

Are you sure about your dates? Wikipedia says he made his debut for Wigan in 1968 having been signed from Rose Bridge.

Padge.

Thanks for the tips for bars.

In the Swan and Railway. 

If this is one of the "better" pubs bring on the rest 🤣

Joking mate but the customers are all staring into their pints like the world is going to end. 

Great to " back up north"

• Haha 1