Challenge Cup: Third Round Draw

Widnes 50 Doncaster 16, don't really know enough about Doncaster to comment about the team they put out but a very much pick and mix Widnes team.  Tbh I expected to get beat so winning comfortably was a bit of a shock though were this leaves us I'm not sure. North Wales next week then on to Bradford.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

So, I think the draw for the next round looks like this:

Batley Bulldogs v Rochdale Hornets 

Keighley Cougars v Featherstone Rovers

* York Acorn v Wath Brow Hornets

* Bradford Bulls v Widnes Vikings

* Swinton Lions v Oldham

Wakefield Trinity v Hunslet ARLFC

Halifax Panthers v Hammersmith Hills Hoists

* York Knights v Sheffield Eagles

I wonder which might be televised.  Choices made for the screen so far have been very good in terms of competitiveness on the filed.  I would have thought that the four hardest to call are probably those I have marked with a star and, hence, TV choices might come from them.

Summer rugby they said... It will be open, fast flowing, attractive rugby league...

This looks like it's straight out of the 70's with the amount of biff involved. 

Edited by tiffers
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

BBC should show the all-amateur tie, promote the bottom end of the league setup. I was a bit disappointed they didn't show Hammersmith v west's last time around.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Aren't rounds 1 and 2 the best time for them to promote the amateurs?

From round 6 onwards the focus will be on the Super League clubs, so these current rounds are the time to shine the spotlight on some of the fantastic semi-pro clubs we have in the Championship and League 1.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I'm not sure I agree with that. Aren't rounds 1 and 2 the best time for them to promote the amateurs?

From round 6 onwards the focus will be on the Super League clubs, so these current rounds are the time to shine the spotlight on some of the fantastic semi-pro clubs we have in the Championship and League 1.

21 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

So, I think the draw for the next round looks like this:

Batley Bulldogs v Rochdale Hornets 

Keighley Cougars v Featherstone Rovers

* York Acorn v Wath Brow Hornets

* Bradford Bulls v Widnes Vikings

* Swinton Lions v Oldham

Wakefield Trinity v Hunslet ARLFC

Halifax Panthers v Hammersmith Hills Hoists

* York Knights v Sheffield Eagles

I wonder which might be televised.  Choices made for the screen so far have been very good in terms of competitiveness on the filed.  I would have thought that the four hardest to call are probably those I have marked with a star and, hence, TV choices might come from them.

I think Bradford v Widnes will be a cert to be televised as they are 2 big names. Probably York and Sheffield the other.

On 12/02/2024 at 21:17, tiffers said:

Summer rugby they said... It will be open, fast flowing, attractive rugby league...

This looks like it's straight out of the 70's with the amount of biff involved. 

The fact the commentary was a out half a second ahead of the video made the commentator sound very knowledgeable and a little prescient. 

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, meast said:

Brawling involving an amateur team?

No!?

Plenty of amateur teams manage to play without brawling every week. Not sure what you’re implying here. I believe Cornwall received more cards than York

24 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The fact the commentary was a out half a second ahead of the video made the commentator sound very knowledgeable and a little prescient. 

And unfortunately for the curious amongst us was cut before the alleged spectator abuse  ( which would have been heard ) complained of by Cornwall. Pity. The interview on Cornwall TV   you tube of their coach afterwards probably only  just short of actionable. as well......

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Plenty of amateur teams manage to play without brawling every week. Not sure what you’re implying here. I believe Cornwall received more cards than York

There always seems to be a brawl in games involving amateur teams, whenever I go and watch amateur games, there's invariably a brawl or 3, or 4.

I'm not suggesting all amateur teams are brawlers intent on keeping the thugbyleague mantra going, just merely an observation.

On 12/02/2024 at 21:17, tiffers said:

Just reinforces why we shouldn't start the season in January.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

39 minutes ago, meast said:

There always seems to be a brawl in games involving amateur teams, whenever I go and watch amateur games, there's invariably a brawl or 3, or 4.

I'm not suggesting all amateur teams are brawlers intent on keeping the thugbyleague mantra going, just merely an observation.

Although the majority of the cards were from Cornwall in this instance including the sending off. That’s a more interesting observation for me

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Damien said:

York Acorn statement. Most of this seems deflection as only the first paragraph actually seems relevant to the statement Cornwall had made:

It's also referencing Cornwall's match report, which was awful and took aim at the ref. Needs action by the RFL. 

19 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

It's also referencing Cornwall's match report, which was awful and took aim at the ref. Needs action by the RFL. 

Hadn’t seen that. Club definitely need a charge for that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A number of my poster friends on here seem to be pre judging . I'm sure the RFL will investigate thoroughly and look  and listen to the full  match coverage clearly available . Not heard of any citations yet.

Will be interesting to see what they do about the alleged crowd abuse and how they handle the occasional obscene chanting that will definitely be broadcast to the nation  over the airwaves  from  much more illustrious venues in the months to come....