2024 attendance thread

3 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Plenty of Yorkshire where rugby league is an alien game.

You're quite right there. We lived in North Leeds for a decade and what amateur league there was was very hidden away compared to the presence of union.  And if you headed out through Otley and Ilkley or Harrogate, Knaresborough and Ripon you'd basically see no sign of league at all.

Not sure if North Leeds Leopards RL are still running a youth section at Moortown. Or whether anyone actually played at the pitches in Lower Meanwood , or Scott Hall Lane, but I don't remember seeing anyone playing it anywhere between Guiseley Rangers and Wetherby.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, N2022 said:

You're quite right there. We lived in North Leeds for a decade and what amateur league there was was very hidden away compared to the presence of union.  And if you headed out through Otley and Ilkley or Harrogate, Knaresborough and Ripon you'd basically see no sign of league at all.

Not sure if North Leeds Leopards RL are still running a youth section at Moortown. Or whether anyone actually played at the pitches in Lower Meanwood , or Scott Hall Lane, but I don't remember seeing anyone playing it anywhere between Guiseley Rangers and Wetherby.

Moortown Mambas have an open age side in this year's Yorkshire League. Based at the RU ground.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, N2022 said:

I lived in Ripon between 20 & 25 years ago.

RL isn't played there (there's a union club), but you would regularly see lads wandering around in Leeds and Bradford shirts.

I also knew a number of people who played for the union club but would be regulars at Headingley - I often wondered why they didn't try to start an amateur RL club there.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Plenty of Yorkshire where rugby league is an alien game.

Not many of the cities/populates areas though 

Places like Ripon may not care about RL but the population is tiny compared to say Wakey

Like saying the vast majority of the landmass of Australia is not interested in RL..

On 03/05/2024 at 21:47, dboy said:

If Wakey do go up this year, the remaining Championship clubs will be praying someone other than/as well as London come down.

The Wakey fans really are travelling in numbers and putting money into the other clubs.

I think if any club along with London does go down under this system then their fans may just take umbridge, I for one will think twice about ever going again if my club is DEMOTED (note not Relegated) which will be end of a 60+ year association.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think if any club along with London does go down under this system then their fans may just take umbridge, I for one will think twice about ever going again if my club is DEMOTED (note not Relegated) which will be end of a 60+ year association.

Wrong thread Harry 

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I’m sure your club would be appreciative of your continued support. Why would you take protest action against the club?

Posted (edited)

Some weather affected crowds in the NRL. In someway lending itself to the argument how unfit NSW stadiums are for purpose:

Bunnies v Panthers 8,155 👎

Sea Eagles v Raiders 10,215 👎

Broncos v Roosters 40,190 💪

Tigers v Bulldogs 17,068 👎

Titans v Storm 13,096 👎

Cowboys v Dolphins 20,967 🫳

Knights v Warriors 16,094 👎

Sharks v Dragons 9,731 👎

Edited by Sports Prophet

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Some weather affected crowds in the NRL. In someway lending itself to the argument how unfit NSW stadiums are for purpose:

Bunnies v Panthers 8,155 👎

Sea Eagles v Raiders 10,215 👎

Broncos v Roosters 40,190 💪

Tigers v Bulldogs 17,068 👎

Titans v Storm 13,096 👎

Cowboys v Dolphins 20,967 🫳

Knights v Warriors 16,094 👎

Sharks v Dragons 9,731 👎

Surely 17k for the Tigers v Bulldogs is impressive? 

Posted (edited)

The video highlights, shot from the west stand, of yesterday’s game at a sparsely attended LNER, suggest York’s crowds have dropped into three figures. Nobody there!

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I’m sure your club would be appreciative of your continued support. Why would you take protest action against the club?

Hi SP, Unfortunately my club would be the victim of circumstance as far as I'm concerned, it would be the system that I am not prepared to take on board not the club doing something wrong.

Considering that this is a thread concerning attendances.

I do think it could be of concern to the fans of any club demoted, especially in relation to their finishing positions in competitive league structure, a club could be demoted who does not finish bottom of SL and a club from the Championship could be advanced into the top division who may very well have finished down the ladder in that division.

Edited by Harry Stottle

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Surely 17k for the Tigers v Bulldogs is impressive? 

I don’t think so. Below NRL average. The place holds 80k, looks a baron hole and sounds the same.

Hope to see a good turn out at Odsal on Sunday, Bradford v Wakefield. 

Wonder if the attendance will top the reverse fixture of 7k+ at Belle Vue earlier this season.

• Like 4

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

19 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Hope to see a good turn out at Odsal on Sunday, Bradford v Wakefield. 

Wonder if the attendance will top the reverse fixture of 7k+ at Belle Vue earlier this season.

Well with a few days to go yet, Wakefield have sold over 2,500 tickets for the Bradford match

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Well with a few days to go yet, Wakefield have sold over 2,500 tickets for the Bradford match

With pay on the day available we just need good weather to help boost the gate.  Bradford holding the £18 advanced ticket price for season ticket holders rolling up on the day too.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

On 06/05/2024 at 11:16, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not many of the cities/populates areas though 

Places like Ripon may not care about RL but the population is tiny compared to say Wakey

Like saying the vast majority of the landmass of Australia is not interested in RL..

OK, Wakey is a city in Yorkshire where league is the most obvious spectator sport, but choosing that to prove that the bigger urban areas are all about league is a bit selective too.

The biggest centres of population are Leeds and then probably Sheffield and neither of those is exclusively league, far from it by the time you've factored in football drawing about 40,000 home fans, there being suburban swathes with more union clubs than league, and many schools not running teams in league. Bradford, Huddersfield football probably bigger than RL. York, i suspect more union played than league, though Knights may rival football on crowds. Doncaster? Barnsley and Rotherham really not league towns.

So, essentially it's Wakey, Hull, Cas, probably Halifax that are the most obvious examples of league towns, and in other bigger towns there's some league in with the football and union mix you'd get in the South or Midlands.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

8,103 for Leigh vs Salford on Friday

Hi Rob I thought there was much more than the previous week v Cas (8,035), there looked to be many more than the 68 difference posted, there were many more Salford Fans than Cas Fans for a start and both sides East and West stands looked to have more in from my vantage point at the top of the North stand, I was estimating late 8,000's comparing it to the previous week.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Rob I thought there was much more than the previous week v Cas (8,035), there looked to be many more than the 68 difference posted, there were many more Salford Fans than Cas Fans for a start and both sides East and West stands looked to have more in from my vantage point at the top of the North stand, I was estimating late 8,000's comparing it to the previous week.

Can't comment on in the ground as I had to miss both games as ST holder. I was flying to US for work during the Cas game and arrived back about 3 hours before Salford extremely jetlagged so opted to watch on TV rather than risk driving. What I will say for Cas is it looked a lot fuller than last season which was our lowest attendance with just under 5.5k which I think is a massive positive. 

• Like 1