2024 attendance thread

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Are we including semi pro clubs also out of interest?

Not sure mate 

To be honest I feel a bit cruel like I'm bursting someone's bubble

I hate the fact football rules the waves but I've longer since accepted it does....it doesn't mean RL can't exist and even thrive 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

Over 4k short. A pathetic attendance.

Which is why the CC should be ditched it is damaging the game no end showing countless empty seats on FTA TV.

The game needs to get over it and move on wonderful competition in the passed thats had its day.

One major comp and one winner 

FTA TV should be used for internationals and loads of them.

Sponsorship wise i would not go near the CC with a disinfected barge pole

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Which is why the CC should be ditched it is damaging the game no end showing countless empty seats on FTA TV.

The game needs to get over it and move on wonderful competition in the passed thats had its day.

Here we go yet again.

11,163 on FTA TV is hardly embarrassing. It certainly did not look bad on TV. With that logic we would hardly show any Rugby League on FTA TV.

Saying FTA should just be used for internationals is just weird. Lets just ignore the fact we barely play any to sell anyway but any extra internationals that we could feasibly create without NRL involvement are likely to be more embarrassing. 

Are you really suggesting that our clubs and domestic competitions should have no FTA exposure. Great for the game, attracting new people and sponsors that.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Sure. Everything on a downward trend should be ditched. We may be left with very little.

36 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

If you are worried about impressions created by small crowds,  empty seats, internationals are hardly a safe bet solution. I like your enthusiasm for them but they have variable appeal - as discussed at length over and since RLWC.

• Like 1

Doncaster is perceived to be a long way away for WIgan fans, and a favourable choice of ground for Yorkshire teams. Moreover, people are continuing to budget carefully, and the vast bulk of people put their money into buying season tickets. We have far far more season tickets, and far bigger crowds across SL than we had pre SL, with far more people buying tickets every year. So the support is there, and the fans are there. Everything could be much better of course, but things have been far far worse. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, N2022 said:

If you are worried about impressions created by small crowds,  empty seats, internationals are hardly a safe bet solution. I like your enthusiasm for them but they have variable appeal - as discussed at length over and since RLWC.

Only because matches are not in the right locations and marketing poorly 

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

We can't even get 10k for some England games either. 

29 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Doncaster is perceived to be a long way away for WIgan fans, and a favourable choice of ground for Yorkshire teams. Moreover, people are continuing to budget carefully, and the vast bulk of people put their money into buying season tickets. We have far far more season tickets, and far bigger crowds across SL than we had pre SL, with far more people buying tickets every year. So the support is there, and the fans are there. Everything could be much better of course, but things have been far far worse. 

Doncaster a long way for Wigan fans? There will be plenty more going to Wembley which is a lot further.

• Haha 1

Whilst the crowds are disappointing, it's rubbish how we present the events. The empty sections in that Wigan end just shouldn't be in prime seats facing the camera. We really need to get better at this stuff. No doubt it'll be the same today. 

• Like 2

Play the cup early and get rid of the play-offs

Cup winner plays league winner in the Grand Final 

re. Ticketing … it does seem crazy that they mark up the price of the “premium “ seats, and always end up with embarrassing gaps … 

• Haha 2

Id imagine the CC-SF attendances were far bigger than they are now but what were the crowds for SF’s in the 1980’s-1990’s. 
I remember being at Old Trafford for the Wigan/Saints SF in 1990 the crowd was 26,500 attending.

But then the CC seemed a lot more important, the cup for me has been treated shoddily over the last couple of decades or so. The continual changing of the cup final day hasn’t helped either, then there is the financial cost. 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Whilst the crowds are disappointing, it's rubbish how we present the events. The empty sections in that Wigan end just shouldn't be in prime seats facing the camera. We really need to get better at this stuff. No doubt it'll be the same today. 

It's eve worse today, despite a fabulous atmosphere being created behind tge sticks. 

Minus the plastic bottles obviously! 

4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I don’t think there are enough expletives in the English language to truly describe how strongly I disagree with your sentiments. 

• Like 1

Over the last 10 years average & peak attendances have increased .. at the same time attendances for two knock-out competitions have dipped. 
Lots of factors outside of rugby league feed in to that data .. many of which are not controllable (eg the unstoppable rise of soccer) 

Combining the knock out competitions should at least create a focus & concentrate a whole number of resources.

Posted (edited)

Well we have got the Challenge Cup Final that I think the RFL would have wanted and it's probably the two biggest teams we've had in a final for a number of years. It should be a cracker that can hopefully get us nudging towards 70k again.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well we have got the Challenge Cup Final that I think the RFL would have wanted and it's probably the two biggest teams we've had in a final for a number of years. It should be a cracker that can hopefully get us nudging towards 70k again.

Got to hope so, add Wakey getting there in the 1895 too and there should hopefully be an upward trend - hopefully the biggest since 2017. 

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

I dunno. I thought the same when we played Saints. Just over 60k iirc. 

I'm now at the stage of it'll be what it'll be and just enjoy it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Have to say, and this isn't personal, it is just a response to the fact you post the same thing over and over, I am so glad you are not in a decision making position within our sport.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 17/05/2024 at 18:18, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Rugby is second in every town to football in practically every metric.

For the record, Hull City averaged 21,980 this season. That's more than FC and KR combined and for more games.

1. Agree completely. But that's not what BB proposed - he said EVERY metric.

2. Yes, very close - but soccer benefits from higher away support, skewing it slightly. You'd know Hull very well - is either East or West Hull more or less Hull-soccer driven?