Zak Hardaker

Clearly done as a wind-up, he was pretty non existant during the game, Not a good look for the club or sport doing stuff like this.

EDIT: The post was in Reply to Leigh giving him their MOM, i forgot to quote the twitter post i was replying to.

Edited by daz39
  • Like 1

Just now, OriginalMrC said:

Rightly so, it's completely shameless and damaging to the sport 

I don't know about damaging, it's probably preaching to the converted. However I do agree that the standard of RL 'journalism' is poor across the board. It's often lazy and clickbait.

42 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Clearly done as a wind-up, he was pretty non existant during the game, Not a good look for the club or sport doing stuff like this.

Non-existent probably qualifies someone to be Leigh’s best player last night 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, daz39 said:

EDIT: The post was in Reply to Leigh giving him their MOM, i forgot to quote the twitter post i was replying to.

They've not covered themselves in glory over the Hardaker garbage have they.

1 minute ago, daz39 said:

I'm beginning to think him and the club are just laughing at it to be honest.

Strangely the usually noisy good old Degsy has gone to ground on this one, along with a couple of his acolytes on here......

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dkw said:

Strangely the usually noisy good old Degsy has gone to ground on this one, along with a couple of his acolytes on here......

The owner having his own track record for drink driving perhaps affects things on that front?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

I'm beginning to think him and the club are just laughing at it to be honest.

I think the Leigh club have seriously misjudged this one..

Success in team sports is as much down to work ethic and discipline as it is talent. 

Part of that is leadership setting and enforcing standards.  It is no coincidence that the majority of the most successful sports teams have managers/coaches who are also strong disciplinarians who rigorously enforce standards.

What Leigh have done is say that behaviour doesn't matter.  This type of message filters into the psyche of the players and the club as a whole and I will argue that this will impact performances on the field.

In short.  When one of your leaders is a wrong un then you are not in good shape.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 9

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

53 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think the Leigh club have seriously misjudged this one..

Success in team sports is as much down to work ethic and discipline as it is talent. 

Part of that is leadership setting and enforcing standards.  It is no coincidence that the majority of the most successful sports teams have managers/coaches who are also strong disciplinarian who rigorously enforce standards.

What Leigh have done is say that behaviour doesn't matter.  This type of message filters into the psyche of the players and the club as a whole and I will argue that this will impact performances on the field.

In short.  When one of your leaders is a wrong un then you are not in good shape.

Absolutely, it becomes pretty hard to set and maintain high standards if you are tolerating major breaches by highly paid senior players. More importantly it then becomes impossible to expect younger, and more easily influenced, players to follow them. One bad apple can negatively affect the whole culture.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, meast said:

As a Huddersfield fan, I'd be appalled if my club, not only stood by a player but played him and announced him all over social media as MOTM.

It sends out a very bad image and message.

Do the right thing Leigh.

What do you want them to do?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

At a minimum, update their player profile page which reads "Zak brings a high level of professionalism and commitment to the game."

01 Zac Hardaker – Leigh Leopards

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 17/02/2024 at 12:18, JohnM said:

I suspect other clubs would behave in the same way as Leigh.

Except other clubs have responded very differently to Leigh when dealing with Zak's track record. 

This is wnere I struggle with the "he needs support" argument with Zak, He has already had support - support that the vast majority of us would either not be offered, or be unable to access, and yet he still continues to make these poor choices. I genuinely think that, when he no longer has the support network of RL once his career ends, he is going to end up in prison or worse. 

Leigh knew what they were getting themselves into and they knew the risks that come with employing Hardaker. The way they have handled this is not a good look for them. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Except other clubs have responded very differently to Leigh when dealing with Zak's track record. 

This is wnere I struggle with the "he needs support" argument with Zak, He has already had support - support that the vast majority of us would either not be offered, or be unable to access, and yet he still continues to make these poor choices. I genuinely think that, when he no longer has the support network of RL once his career ends, he is going to end up in prison or worse. 

Leigh knew what they were getting themselves into and they knew the risks that come with employing Hardaker. The way they have handled this is not a good look for them. 

That sums up why many don't have much sympathy left, and why Leigh's response, especially the statement, was pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, M j M said:

The owner having his own track record for drink driving perhaps affects things on that front?

Breathalyser brought in  1968.The following year there were 1100 fewer deaths on the road.I don't think that was a coincidence.Send Zak to Fev for a year that should teach him.

1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

At the very least acknowledge the fact one of their employees and apparent role models has been caught drink driving for a 2nd time after crashing his car following a police pursuit is not acceptable behaviour and although they will support and stand by him they wish it to be noted they are not happy with what he did.

That should have been their very 1st statement on the matter instead what they have done is make everyone think they're ok with what he did and that it isn't an issue, FFS not only did they play him on Friday they actually awarded him the man of the match too.....do you not think that's a little bit of a pee take from the Leigh club? 

It shows the standards that are accepted at that club which to the rest of us clearly isn't very high, as a well performing and noted trophy winning club in our sport i would like to think they had some kind of higher moral ground.

At the moment it appears the Leigh club simply don't give a toss what Zak did, and Zak can do what he likes while employed by that club.

It's embarrasing for the sport, and for the Leigh club, surely Leigh supporters cannot be happy with the stance from their club on this?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Breathalyser brought in  1968.The following year there were 1100 fewer deaths on the road.I don't think that was a coincidence.Send Zak to Fev for a year that should teach him.

Fordy always had a “no dckhead” policy at York and it was an important part of building a good culture at the club. If I were a Fev fan I’d be wanting similar, not RLs biggest dckhead dropped in.  

• Like 1

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

At the very least acknowledge the fact one of their employees and apparent role models has been caught drink driving for a 2nd time after crashing his car following a police pursuit is not acceptable behaviour and although they will support and stand by him they wish it to be noted they are not happy with what he did.

That should have been their very 1st statement on the matter instead what they have done is make everyone think they're ok with what he did and that it isn't an issue, FFS not only did they play him on Friday they actually awarded him the man of the match too.....do you not think that's a little bit of a pee take from the Leigh club? 

It shows the standards that are accepted at that club which to the rest of us clearly isn't very high, as a well performing and noted trophy winning club in our sport i would like to think they had some kind of higher moral ground.

At the moment it appears the Leigh club simply don't give a toss what Zak did, and Zak can do what he likes while employed by that club.

It's embarrasing for the sport, and for the Leigh club, surely Leigh supporters cannot be happy with the stance from their club on this?

I think it’s fair to say there have been enough of us on this thread who have shown our displeasure not only at Hardaker’s actions but also the lack of a firm response from the club. Not sure what else you can expect us to do, really. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

Fordy always had a “no dckhead” policy at York and it was an important part of building a good culture at the club. If I were a Fev fan I’d be wanting similar, not RLs biggest dckhead dropped in.  

It was tongue in cheek didn't our players get fined for drinking in the club house during strict Covid restrictions.We couldn't afford him last year so no chance this.