MRP Minutes

30 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Why no just make bans for domestic competitions only? Would save then having to manufacture unusually low/no bans whenever internationals/wcc are coming up

Been saying this for years.

It's the best way to avoid making a mockery of the disciplinary system around international games. Only takes the sudden banning of top international NRL players that aren't Australian to show you why this is important.

• Like 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

While I was ok with Liam Watts seeing red at the weekend (although I felt that Westerman was as much to blame), a possible 4 to 6 match ban for a Grade E does feel a little excessive.

After the tackle Watts approached Dupree and offered a handshake which was accepted. Call me old fashioned if you like but there was a time when that would have settled it and they both would have just got on with it. I thought he was very unlucky to be sent off and now it seems he could be facing a lengthy suspension. It’s going to ruin the game if this carries on.

As for Smith, I was expecting him to be suspended for one match as was Adam Keighran after last season’s GF for a similar tackle. If Wigan had been playing Leigh this weekend would he have been banned? I think quite possibly but if this had been Nathan Cleary in the NRL would he have been banned. I think not.

Edited by Jinking Jimmy

42 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Why no just make bans for domestic competitions only? Would save then having to manufacture unusually low/no bans whenever internationals/wcc are coming up

I've always said this too. It makes no sense to me not to.

• Thanks 1

Pele E and Watts F 🤣

The panel blaming Hooley for been dumped on his head, to justify not applying precident because of the wcc 🤣

Video refs at every game and a panel still trawling for unpenalised incidents to ban players. 🤣

Hard to have any enthusiasm about the game currently, its basically a lottery of referring decisions which no doubt the 'panel' will be instructed to ratify any controversial decisions in support of referees.

Edited by Gates1
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Been saying this for years.

It's the best way to avoid making a mockery of the disciplinary system around international games. Only takes the sudden banning of top international NRL players that aren't Australian to show you why this is important.

So do bans resulting from World Club Challenge games only count for World Club Challenge games?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Watts sent off for absolutely  nothing - heard he is not happy and thinking of walking away from the game- imagine RU could use a tall off loader like him

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Watts sent off for absolutely  nothing - heard he is not happy and thinking of walking away from the game- imagine RU could use a tall off loader like him

If I were him I'd call it a day, must be soul destroying.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I said above that I think 4 to 6 games is harsh.

But to say he was sent off for nothing just isn't accurate, he was sent off for hitting an opposition player in the head with his shoulder... because he hit another player in the head with his shoulder.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Well seeing as he is 34 in a few months good luck to them if he wishes to go, and him. 

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well seeing as he is 34 in a few months good luck to them if he wishes to go, and him. 

but similar stature  younger players will surely think twice about playing the game?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

but similar stature  younger players will surely think twice about playing the game?

I dont know why it would, people play the game because they enjoy it and at professional level make a decent living. They aren't going to quit just because they get a ban for foul play.

• Like 1

By the way that tackle has been a straight red in union for a lot longer than it has in RL.

• Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I dont know why it would, people play the game because they enjoy it and at professional level make a decent living. They aren't going to quit just because they get a ban for foul play.

Not them, someone the same height as them got banned for foul play/

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Whilst a Wigan player receiving no ban might be considered "Consistent" surely if a player is contributing to a potential bad outcome then the Castleford player must receive some punishment. Not sure if I should be giving them ideas though.... 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

50 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

By the way that tackle has been a straight red in union for a lot longer than it has in RL.

Have to disagree JB . In RU Watts would have been given a yellow card with a review to decide if it should be changed to red . Mitigating circumstances would then be taken into account . In the case of Watts we have 2 mitigating circumstances 

1. Dupree is pushed into Watts by the Westerman tackle . There is clear separation between Watts and Dupree when contact is made by Westerman

2. More importantly Dupree has gone into the tackle with his shoulders and head down. If Dupree had remained in a standing position , the contact from Watts would have been shoulder to shoulder and not shoulder to head . When Watts makes contact with the head , Dupree is clearly below Watts (and Westerman's) shoulder level . 

Just my opinion , others may disagree

Edited by Taffy Tiger
  • Like 4

Can someone clarify what the Seguier ban is for? 

I know Crowther went off with whiplash but there was no foul play in that tackle, it wasn’t head contact so I’m curious why he’s been banned (unless there was another incident I missed)

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Watts would have been sent off last year for the same tackle. Just work on your technique and don't belt players in the head would be my advice. If he don't like the League rules I am not certain Union will be for him.

He could try bending his back and maybe look to use his arms to try & wrap the ball carrier

• Like 3

As an FC I've no complaints. Us fans have been wanting something done about our indiscipline. 

Our coaches and their staff don't seem to be able to do anything to improve it.

So hopefully, the disciplinary panel can do their job for them.

• Like 2

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

So do bans resulting from World Club Challenge games only count for World Club Challenge games?

That’s more an issue of not playing enough games at the very top level than an issue with doing competition-specific bans. Football have had competition-specific bans for accumulative circumstances (ie multiple yellow cards) for a few years now and it’s worked perfectly well. Red cards affect all competitions. Makes sense, really.

If I was being picky then it would be easy enough to effectively treat the WCC as an international fixture to separate it from a domestic ban (which would solve the ridiculous play off/Test series ban scenario of 2023)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Watts would have been sent off last year for the same tackle. Just work on your technique and don't belt players in the head would be my advice. If he don't like the League rules I am not certain Union will be for him.

Spot on. If he doesn't want to change, tough.

This pretending that Watts isn't a player with many bans over the years for foul play is tedious, isn't it?