Sat 9th-Sun 10th Mar: Challenge Cup - Fifth Round Match Thread

36 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Golden try, silver point.

One potential issue (but not impossible to solve): if one team gets 3 penalties, then the other team gets a try, does the team that has the try immediately run despite being 2 points worse off? The answer should obviously be no, but the wording wouldn't agree and need tightening up.

How about saying that for the game to be decided before the end of extra time the winning margin has to be at least 2 points?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Could have been that one, if Geoff Wigglesworth was in the side back then.  Even that game is nearly 50 yrs back

By the way you lied to me you told me the pitch was not a mud bath 👍

Geoff Wriglesworth was the Leeds winger who also played for Wakefield, Hull KR & York (also 1966 Lions tourist).

The game you're thinking of was in 1967 and Fev beat Wakefield by 11-7 in the 2nd Round with full-back Brian Wrigglesworth being one of their 3 try-scorers. Rovers went on to win the Cup at Wembley for the first time by defeating Barrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Big wake up call for Powell, don't think Wakey got their tactics right today.

Now here is one for the old uns, As far as I remember the last time Wakey played Fev in the cup at Post Office Road was late 60's early 70's ish. Wakey also lost that day as clear favourites and Fev had a great performance from a back called Wigglesworth. The conditions back then we're identical today and the rumour was the local fire brigade had been heavily watering the pitch all night before the game 🤣 

It was the 1976 game Featherstone won 23=9 .Last time the clubs met in the Rugby League Cup at Featherstone.

Just now, Szymala said:

Geoff Wriglesworth was the Leeds winger who also played for Wakefield, Hull KR & York (also 1966 Lions tourist).

The game you're thinking of was in 1967 and Fev beat Wakefield by 11-7 in the 2nd Round with full-back Brian Wrigglesworth being one of their 3 try-scorers. Rovers went on to win the Cup at Wembley for the first time by defeating Barrow.

You are correct, that the one. He was a York lad I seem to remember . Everyone was bogged down in the mud like today but that bloke was the only guy who seemed to run over the top of it. 

2 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

It was the 1976 game Featherstone won 23=9 .Last time the clubs met in the Rugby League Cup at Featherstone.

That means you have done us three on the trot, albeit a long time between games🤣

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Could have been that one, if Geoff Wigglesworth was in the side back then.  Even that game is nearly 50 yrs back

He was kidding 😆

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

From memory*

Box, Days, Coventry, Quinn, Kellet, Newlove, Butler, Thompson, Bridges, Farrar, Stone, Busfield, Bell subs Tuffs, Smith

Tries Bell (2), Days, Stone, Tuffs

Goals Quinn (4)

* Of where to look for the info 😉

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

Only just discovered the Sportsman and loving it. Its good old, old school rugby league and hats off to everyone today. 

As a Saints fan I hope that Fev get a good home draw and with any luck looking at those conditions lets hope its Wigan after a load more rain.

Good luck to the Groundsman and the kit washer - they'll need it

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

Big wake up call for Powell, don't think Wakey got their tactics right today.

Now here is one for the old uns, As far as I remember the last time Wakey played Fev in the cup at Post Office Road was late 60's early 70's ish. Wakey also lost that day as clear favourites and Fev had a great performance from a back called Wigglesworth. The conditions back then we're identical today and the rumour was the local fire brigade had been heavily watering the pitch all night before the game 🤣 

I was at that game. It was the 2nd rd of the 1967 Challenge cup. I rremember Gary Jordan kicking the ball out of a Wakefield players hand  as he was about to score.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Cut up field, unrecognisable muddied players, steam rising of the scrums, I am really going to get in the mood for the second half, going to put on my tank top and platform shoes and pour a brown and bitter.

Took me back 70 years to the Boulevard.

Now posted in the right place, rather than a random one.😀

Hardly a classic. Too wet and boggy for any silky skills, and many many muddy mistakes, introducing a large degree of randomness. Probably the only fixture this weekend where the players gained weight over the match. Bring out the Persil. Given all that, still worth watching. In my view, and can't argue with the result, so well done Fev and The Sportsman channel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wasginger said:

I was at that game. It was the 2nd rd of the 1967 Challenge cup. I rremember Gary Jordan kicking the ball out of a Wakefield players hand  as he was about to score.

The last time we played Wakey in the RL Challenge Cup was 1976 we won 23=9

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

From memory*

Box, Days, Coventry, Quinn, Kellet, Newlove, Butler, Thompson, Bridges, Farrar, Stone, Busfield, Bell subs Tuffs, Smith

Tries Bell (2), Days, Stone, Tuffs

Goals Quinn (4)

* Of where to look for the info 😉

Now that's a team of legends

9 hours ago, bar red said:

Can,t wait for the NRL takeover, we could be watching games like this every week.

No you couldn't. One of the mandatory NRL admission criteria is that you must have a grass pitch.

Edited by JohnM

10 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

You beat us at Wakefield in the Cup after that. Probably around 1979.

Correct mate I remember my Dad having the programme - another close game. We beat Halifax, Barrow, yourselves and of course Saints in the S/F before losing to Widnes @ Wembley. 

Still to this day I've not seen us win at POR. A few games for fans to remember about 1995/6 a midweek game seen Trinity go down 8-4. 1996 ish our legend Brad Davis kicking a drop goal near the end in a enthralling 15-15 draw in front on 5,500. Missed the 24-24 draw about the same era which it took Brad Davis a touchline conversion for us to come away with a point. Last year's Friendly 24-22 in favour of again of the home side and yesterday less said the better. Would love to see footage of the 92 YCSF which we won 22-8 however not seen anything just went to the final yhat year so you see POR is not the best hunting ground for ourselves lol

Sorry I've one of those memories for stats will stop now lol 

Good luck in todays draw Rovers 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1