Time to move the Grand Final (Merged Threads)

8 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

RFL used the same approach a few years back for the challenge cup final. It was a disaster for league 1 clubs struggling to get fans to watch teams they never heard of and having to get those fans to buy cup final tickets as well. 

Just a case of the owners of the competition recognising their own incompetence at marketing and passing the burden on to others.

I don't have a strong opinion on it, however, there is a deeper context to your point about the "owners of the comp" failing.

The RFL used to be mainly funded by the Rugby League Levy - a 5% charge on all CC ticket sales. At the advent of SL (certainly around that period of change), the clubs refused to pay (Maurice Lindsey et al), grabbing more power for the clubs and reducing the RFL to a basic service provider.

I'm sure these funding structures have changed many times since, but to suggest that the failings of the CC is solely down to the RFL is wrong.

Issues include the big clubs insisting that they don't need to enter the comp until the very last moment.

9 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Has he earmarked funds for it? I thought he was asking the Government for funding?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68361025

"Manchester-born Ratcliffe, 71, completed a deal for a stake in the club worth about $1.6bn (£1.25bn) on Monday. The deal includes $300m (£237m) for future investment in the club's stadium."

Its not a lot in the grand scheme of things but is probably enough to cover repairs to the current stadium right now, hence its "in the deal". I believe the funding he is asking for is "matched" so he is happy to fund part of a new ground too. But it shows he knows the issues and one way or the other will deal with them.

12 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

I think Dublin might work with this idea, the RFL should be able to hire some ferries on a good deal to transport all the coaches as October is outside of peak demand period.

Dublin is if anything more expensive than London

• Thanks 2

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

39 minutes ago, JF1 said:

I wonder what is the purpose of the ditches at each end at Old Trafford. I noticed on the football match last night,a couple of players ending up down there. Is it a feature unique to Old Trafford. Players regularly clatter into advertising boards,so that can't be the issue surely.

It had to be elevated to install undersoil heating. It wasn't before this.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I go there frequently and I say it. 

How does it rate on the WC scale relative to Manchester though. 

Or dare I say Leigh.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, roughyed8 said:

All the working mens clubs have closed down?

There's a few still about. 

Maybe 10% of what there was when I was a lad.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, Trojan said:

"If anything" implies some doubt.   There isn't any.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

15 hours ago, M j M said:

That's the sort of thing people who never go to London say. 

I’m sure they do but as someone who has been plenty of times and has family living there I still stick by what I said.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trojan said:

Even better then, the RFL can organise and sell a discounted meal deal on the ferries. 

9 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Nope....easier solution is...

The ferries leave Hull harbour and transport people direct via the North Sea and Thames Estuary 

Get P and O to part fund it on a sponsorship deal

Even better, keep going to Rotterdam then they can bring back the old European Super League logo theme, nostalgia sells. Plus there is already a RL competition there so makes perfect sense to take the opportunity of fast tracking a Dutch team into SL at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Even better, keep going to Rotterdam then they can bring back the old European Super League logo theme, nostalgia sells. Plus there is already a RL competition there so makes perfect sense to take the opportunity of fast tracking a Dutch team into SL at the same time.

You could have two Dutch teams so there’s a derby rivalry and TV deal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, redjonn said:

maybe add to that the ole press gang approach of the old royal navy.... 

I like this idea go round the pubs in London dropping pound coins in peoples drinks. As soon as they come out of the pub a quick cosh over the head and hey presto they wake up in Wembley stadium in time for the kick off. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, M j M said:

How does it rate on the WC scale relative to Manchester though. 

Or dare I say Leigh.

Or what about Leeeds, tell me what you know about Leigh, I know its shortcomings but I also have a lot of experience of Leeds having worked and had a business there for 20years.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Or what about Leeeds, tell me what you know about Leigh, I know its shortcomings but I also have a lot of experience of Leeds having worked and had a business there for 20years.

Let's stick to Leigh vs London shall we.

• Haha 2

• John Drake changed the title to Time to move the Grand Final (Merged Threads)
On 16/05/2024 at 20:27, M j M said:

Let's stick to Leigh vs London shall we.

I had a day off work yesterday... nothing planned, just a relaxing day.

Watched the first two games of NRL Magic weekend and then late afternoon I went over to Fitzrovia as my wife had an appointment and so I met her.

As I walked past the townhouses, cafe's and restaurants to quite a nice pub where we met, I thought to myself... this is a real toilet.

I thought Fitzroy Square was the most toilety part of the toilet.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

43 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Watched the first two games of NRL Magic weekend and then late afternoon I went over to Fitzrovia as my wife had an appointment and so I met her.

As I walked past the townhouses, cafe's and restaurants to quite a nice pub where we met, I thought to myself... this is a real toilet.

That must be where the toilet block is

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I suppose it depends what you mean by toilet. If the frame of reference is say a portacabin with a broken lightbulb on the terrace at Hilton Park then one can only assume the writer has never been to our capital city.

On 16/05/2024 at 10:06, dboy said:

I don't have a strong opinion on it, however, there is a deeper context to your point about the "owners of the comp" failing.

The RFL used to be mainly funded by the Rugby League Levy - a 5% charge on all CC ticket sales. At the advent of SL (certainly around that period of change), the clubs refused to pay (Maurice Lindsey et al), grabbing more power for the clubs and reducing the RFL to a basic service provider.

I'm sure these funding structures have changed many times since, but to suggest that the failings of the CC is solely down to the RFL is wrong.

Issues include the big clubs insisting that they don't need to enter the comp until the very last moment.

I think the levy changed before SL, I would have to check though to be certain.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 18/05/2024 at 18:03, Dunbar said:

shall we call that "the bowl" then?

On 18/05/2024 at 20:28, M j M said:

I suppose it depends what you mean by toilet. If the frame of reference is say a portacabin with a broken lightbulb on the terrace at Hilton Park then one can only assume the writer has never been to our capital city.

I take exception to that. At no point did the toilets at Hilton Park ever have a roof, nor anything as luxurious as a (non operational) light bulb.