Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

• Please log in to reply
881 replies to this topic

#761 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

One winter not long ago witnessed a gritter in Oldham end up on its side!

There was one in the T&A the other week, it might've been in Dec when we had that one black ice morning.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#762 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

The presenter questioning a 'bit' of snow was the one left stranded. :D :rolleyes:

Yes. It's a complete myth that other countries just carry on as normal. I've been in America when there's been gridlock and airport chaos in places like Detriot and Minneapolis when the snow comes down quickly.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#763 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'm itching to go out but I've never seen flakes as big.

They were ginormous, the size of saucers. Rapid thaw underway today though.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#764 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

One winter not long ago witnessed a gritter in Oldham end up on its side!

I've seen em stuck a few times round here, steep hills and narrow roads isn't really condusive to vehicles that size. Tractors are often used up on the hillside roads and tracks, but this wasn't that far out of the town centre. I'm sure he'd have got it shifted fairly quickly, but speaking to the driver, I don't think he was being helped by the fact he was loosing compression on the mechanism to operate the plough.

It has melted fairly quickly today, but it's still well over a foot deep in places. I can foresee issues later on if it does get really wet and consequently melts quickly, as the ground has never dried out from the summer flooding, so it will all head down the valley pretty quickly.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#765 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

The problem gritters have is nobody has gritted in front of them.

They interviewed a gritter driver on TV the other day and he told a tale of an impatient driver behind him seeing his chance and overtook the gritter at speed.

Moments later he saw red lights, white lights, red lights, white lights, red lights, white lights as the car spun out of control on the ungritted road ahead.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#766 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

The problem gritters have is nobody has gritted in front of them.

They interviewed a gritter driver on TV the other day and he told a tale of an impatient driver behind him seeing his chance and overtook the gritter at speed.

Moments later he saw red lights, white lights, red lights, white lights, red lights, white lights as the car spun out of control on the ungritted road ahead.

And how many times will that have happened? :lol:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#767 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Yes. It's a complete myth that other countries just carry on as normal. I've been in America when there's been gridlock and airport chaos in places like Detriot and Minneapolis when the snow comes down quickly.

just been to Belgium, they had a lot of snow and no hint of chaos or problems.

I was there about 8 years ago as well, it put down about eighteen inches in the day and next morning everything was running as normal. I asked did they get a lot of snow in Brugge so they were used to it, the reply was that it was the first snow they had seen there for 11 years.

Last weekend they had gritters continually cruising, and I mean continually, they also had tractors with gritting pods fitted behind helping out.

They seem to be committed to keeping everything moving, especially the economy.

In this country we only ever see costs and never see benefits.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#768 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,970 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Places carry on as normal when they get what's normal for them.

Odd that.

Edited by gingerjon, 26 January 2013 - 07:53 PM.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#769 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

The one way I hate to see snow go is by being washed away by torrential rain. It's smashing it down in Sintellins just now. Floods galore by tomorrow I'd say.

#770 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

The one way I hate to see snow go is by being washed away by torrential rain. It's smashing it down in Sintellins just now. Floods galore by tomorrow I'd say.

I consider myself very fortunate living in Billinge, especially at the top end as we don't have widespread flooding, that apart from some minor problems on the road to Wigan. It must be devastating suffering year-on-year.

#771 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

About a foot or so here in Matlock.

Have tickets to go out tonight in Nottingham so will have to get digging this afternoon.

Dug myself out of the drive and the road was clear by 15.30.

Driving through inches of water on the way though so expect some places to be flooded. Like St Billinge I'm glad we live well up the hillside away from the Derwent even if the road down can be a pain in winter at times.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#772 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

The snow is just about gone now in Bradford.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#773 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

My garden looks like it's got a dusting of snow. In fact, we've just had a really heavy hailstorm.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#774 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

some really fierce hail storms wandering around this area as well.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#775 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

<_<

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#776 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Here it comes again!

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#777 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

It's coming down in the Calder Valley.

#778 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

It's coming down in the Calder Valley.

As it is in the Aire Valley. Might make the journey between the two a bit more interesting this evening. B)

Please view my photos.

#779 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

<_< <_<

It'll be gone by tomorrow anyway.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#780 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

As it is in the Aire Valley. Might make the journey between the two a bit more interesting this evening. B)

Sleet then rain this evening supposedly. Nice skiddy conditions. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users