Leigh selling players now

I think there's a bit of an early over reaction to Leigh selling off players. They're just balancing their books, no? Doesn't mean they're going bust or anything.

Surely they're being smart about it? They might find major investment in the off season and reinvest for next year, but for now are being savvy.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

What if he can’t find anyone to step in ? Or is their steady something in the pipeline 

isnt he saying he is planning on running on the 200k.. so he is just cutting the cloth so that he is there ready to run next year just on reduced funding.. doesnt need anyone to step in then.

I think a big part of the problem is an over reliance on central funding and not generating money from other sources. This is the problem with clubs who don’t own their grounds and have less chance to   generate income from their facilities.

36 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

I think a big part of the problem is an over reliance on central funding and not generating money from other sources. This is the problem with clubs who don’t own their grounds and have less chance to   generate income from their facilities.

Clubs who lease/rent a ground have the advantage of fixed known costs and don't have the problem of ground upkeep and sudden maintenance bills.

Most clubs who 'own' their ground these days have an arms length separate company running the ground and the club 'rent' the facilities.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 hours ago, RP London said:

isnt he saying he is planning on running on the 200k.. so he is just cutting the cloth so that he is there ready to run next year just on reduced funding.. doesnt need anyone to step in then.

It kinda sounds like he's stepping away from the club entirely no? 

One worrying thought about this Leigh fiasco is how Super League teams are scrambling to sign up players from the fifth best Championship team, and not just the bottom four SL teams. Warrington have signed Thompson, Castleford Matautia as well as the HKR , Leeds and Widnes signings. What does this say about the overall quality of SL when you are signing up so many players from  a championship club that didn't even make the top 4??

24 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

It kinda sounds like he's stepping away from the club entirely no? 

I was reading that he would like to and that he is putting everything into place so that someone can, without taking on any liabilities ie he may want to spend all his money on getting them up but he is aware another investor may not be so keen initially etc.. but that it is about getting to a place where the clubs is not solely reliant on his money. then see what happens.. 

There has to be a buyer for him to step away and if there isnt he doesnt want to be pumping money in.. 

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

sorry the others wouldnt be doing much for me if I supported those clubs 

When you've lost 14 on the trot, Widnes signing Finn and Hansen is like Saints signing Thurston and Inglis!  ?

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

I seem to remember the Leigh followers going onto forums and informing people that Mr Beaumont was able to place a bond with the RFL to prove he could sign a number of high profile players.

With the central funding,and the salary cap,being what they are,and with no costs for the stadium as that is cared for by outside agencies,I would have to question the amounts put into Leigh,by Beaumont,in contrast,for exampl,by Dr Koukash who had historic debts to pay as well as stadium costs,as well as players.

Perhaps owners should,like players,be contracted to clubs for certain periods of time.

The owner of Widnes,who may have benefited from free advertising during his time at the club,only seemed to have lost interest,after he and his family were subjected to a terrifying crime.

It does seem the sport loses benefactors at a quicker rate than some other sports.

Mr Beaumont has been with Leigh for 2 fairly short periods of time,now,should he leave once another 'investor' joins the club

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

Matautia is a top player , sorry the others wouldnt be doing much for me if I supported those clubs 

Pleased that Cas have managed to sign him, could be a big signing for us.  Obviously less pleased about the way it has come about the way it's cone about.  Looking bleak for Leigh at present, hope things start looking up.

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I seem to remember the Leigh followers going onto forums and informing people that Mr Beaumont was able to place a bond with the RFL to prove he could sign a number of high profile players.

With the central funding,and the salary cap,being what they are,and with no costs for the stadium as that is cared for by outside agencies,I would have to question the amounts put into Leigh,by Beaumont,in contrast,for exampl,by Dr Koukash who had historic debts to pay as well as stadium costs,as well as players.

Perhaps owners should,like players,be contracted to clubs for certain periods of time.

The owner of Widnes,who may have benefited from free advertising during his time at the club,only seemed to have lost interest,after he and his family were subjected to a terrifying crime.

It does seem the sport loses benefactors at a quicker rate than some other sports.

Mr Beaumont has been with Leigh for 2 fairly short periods of time,now,should he leave once another 'investor' joins the club

I don't really understand your point. Beaumont funded Leigh over a considerable period of time, all of the money coming from his business and not leaching off anyone else. He has met all of his commitments, not left the club in debt, but feels unable to guarantee an injection of £1.4M next season, which is what would be required to maintain their squad on the current contractual basis. Like any good businessman he is addressing the issue now rather than waiting for it to become a crisis.

To me that seems eminently sensible and honourable.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I don't really understand your point. Beaumont funded Leigh over a considerable period of time, all of the money coming from his business and not leaching off anyone else. He has met all of his commitments, not left the club in debt, but feels unable to guarantee an injection of £1.4M next season, which is what would be required to maintain their squad on the current contractual basis. Like any good businessman he is addressing the issue now rather than waiting for it to become a crisis.

To me that seems eminently sensible and honourable.

Absolutely spot on !!!

We assembled an expensive squad that didnt perform. We should have kept a majority of last years playing squad as it would have been better value for money with a team that had 12 months in SL to gel.

Top 4 would not have been a problem.

Still, C'est la vie, but i am sure leigh will still be a competitive side with hopefully young players willing to give 100% for the shirt.

Losing 5 out of your first 6 games was just criminal !!!

14 hours ago, Padge said:

Most clubs who 'own' their ground these days have an arms length separate company running the ground and the club 'rent' the facilities. 

As has been pointed out before only Warrington have this structure amongst the ground-owning Super League clubs. Saints, Cas and Leeds own the ground in the same entity as the RL business.

Just reading this from Beaumont and much of what he says just symbolises how poorly many RL clubs are run and shows why many have been in financial trouble in recent decades:

https://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-league/news/beaumont-to-quit-leigh/150397

In a statement, Beaumont said: "It was with a heavy heart and tear in my eye that the realisation sunk in that we would not make the Qualifiers. I have said publicly on numerous occasions and privately to the group that my position as owner of the club would become untenable should that happen. The club will receive circa £200k in 2019 from £1.25m this year and circa £1.7m in 2017 and that is a drop too far to sustain the club in its current form.

"To that end I must act in the best interests of the club's ability to survive going forward and in the short term to fulfil this season's fixtures and also to reduce its commitments to make it more attractive to any party that may express an interest in taking it forward.

Why the hell can owners not just budget for a sensible amount rather than risk the clubs future on promotion. Leigh received plenty, and arguably more than they should have with the 'parachute' payment, and there is absolutely no way they should be in this position. It sucks for the fans but things like this highlight much of what is wrong with how clubs are run. 

37 minutes ago, Damien said:

Just reading this from Beaumont and much of what he says just symbolises how poorly many RL clubs are run and shows why many have been in financial trouble in recent decades:

https://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-league/news/beaumont-to-quit-leigh/150397

In a statement, Beaumont said: "It was with a heavy heart and tear in my eye that the realisation sunk in that we would not make the Qualifiers. I have said publicly on numerous occasions and privately to the group that my position as owner of the club would become untenable should that happen. The club will receive circa £200k in 2019 from £1.25m this year and circa £1.7m in 2017 and that is a drop too far to sustain the club in its current form.

"To that end I must act in the best interests of the club's ability to survive going forward and in the short term to fulfil this season's fixtures and also to reduce its commitments to make it more attractive to any party that may express an interest in taking it forward.

Why the hell can owners not just budget for a sensible amount rather than risk the clubs future on promotion. Leigh received plenty, and arguably more than they should have with the 'parachute' payment, and there is absolutely no way they should be in this position. It sucks for the fans but things like this highlight much of what is wrong with how clubs are run. 

The reason is because some clubs are run like a hobby rather than a business. This was Beaumont's hobby and he wanted to dine at the top table so was happy spending to achieve that. As long as he doesn't walk away, leaving them with large debts, I'm not sure what the problem is. He's had his fun, as have the fans, and now he's got a duty of care to ensure the club is passed on to the next patron in a reasonable and more sustainable state. It looks like this is what he's trying to do.

Obviously this is not the ideal way to run a sports club, however I don't think we should put off people who wish to put money into our sport like this. As long as they know their responsibilities and don't leave a trail of liabilities behind them for someone else to pick up

• 2 weeks later...

Just been doing a bit of Sunday morning browsing and updates on the Leigh situation.

Nothing of value to add but searched google for "leigh firesale". Anyone else get to about the 5th result in the search and result is ermmm.... Intersting?

4 minutes ago, Li0nhead said:

Just been doing a bit of Sunday morning browsing and updates on the Leigh situation.

Nothing of value to add but searched google for "leigh firesale". Anyone else get to about the 5th result in the search and result is ermmm.... Intersting?

Being from that said Parish I Googled as you suggested out of curiosity, read the credits but didn't click on the links for obviuos reasons, you describe it as "interesting" I would describe it as disgusting and totally undesirable, it is crude, rude and socially offensive!

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Being from that said Parish I Googled as you suggested out of curiosity, read the credits but didn't click on the links for obviuos reasons, you describe it as "interesting" I would describe it as disgusting and totally undesirable, it is crude, rude and socially offensive!

Got to admit, i did not click those links either.

I clicked the link and found a humbling story of the power of free enterprise as an entrepreneurial young lady goes to great lengths to support her husband's fledgling entertainment systems salesman career.

It's this sort of endeavour that are the future sponsors of Rugby League.

2 hours ago, Li0nhead said:

Maybe she's the new prospective owner?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 8/5/2018 at 9:14 AM, Li0nhead said:

have to admit the "description" is accurate.. if that were to happen you definitely do know "you have failed in life"... I also did not click on the link... 

Archived