How exciting/boring is Rugby League?

I wonder what their sampling and research strategy entailed?

And after the researchers predictions on the last general election, Trump's chances of the presidency and whether there wold be a vote in favour of  leaving the EU, the only conclusion is that RL is definitely the greatest game in the world or that we are all doomed.

23 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I can kind of agree with some of it but GYMNASTICS seriously! 

But only goes to show how stupid the general public is. I don't think any sport builds tension like RL. 

I have huge respect for the top gymnasts. They really are as close to superhuman as you can get. But it really isnt an exciting sport.

It can be very exciting , Cas last year , even Leigh in the Championship and Cup back in 2015 , there can be exciting games with one team then the other scoring or even reversals when one team is 3/4 scores up ( something virtually never seen in football ) 

But also it can be deadly boring , 5 drives and a kick from 2 teams often referred to as an ' arm wrestle ' by coaches and players ( but who's really interested in watching arm wrestling as a sport ? ) 

Too much messing about , and indeed wrestling on the ground can drive people nuts , my dad a football fan has often rang me up mid match declaring why am I watching this rubbish , then suggesting the last union game was more interesting than Rugby Basketball as he described it " I thought you said they passed the ball in RL ? " 

34 minutes ago, MZH said:

I have huge respect for the top gymnasts. They really are as close to superhuman as you can get. But it really isnt an exciting sport.

Agreed they are superhuman, but not exciting in the slightest compared to other sports it beat on this poll.

16 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It can be very exciting , Cas last year , even Leigh in the Championship and Cup back in 2015 , there can be exciting games with one team then the other scoring or even reversals when one team is 3/4 scores up ( something virtually never seen in football ) 

But also it can be deadly boring , 5 drives and a kick from 2 teams often referred to as an ' arm wrestle ' by coaches and players ( but who's really interested in watching arm wrestling as a sport ? ) 

Too much messing about , and indeed wrestling on the ground can drive people nuts , my dad a football fan has often rang me up mid match declaring why am I watching this rubbish , then suggesting the last union game was more interesting than Rugby Basketball as he described it " I thought you said they passed the ball in RL ? " 

Everyone loves a good comeback and we all like to see expansive attacking rugby being played. However when I am watching as a neutral I really dont get that much enjoyment out of a match that finishes 40-36 or whatever. My idea of a good game is one where every point is hard earned.

I have been around the game all my life. I was a back row or occasional prop when I played. Personally I love a great arm wrestle where every yard is hard fought. 5 drives and kick can be a thing of beauty as far as I'm concerned, and pretty much every game you will ever watch is won and lost in the trenches. However I appreciate not everyone takes as much joy from that as I do and a balance needs to be found.

the excitement lies in your affinity to the teams taking part, the quality of each game and the back drop, atmosphere etc, Australia are prob the most boring team in the world while tonga are one of the most exiting but poles apart in success terms

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

I can kind of agree with some of it but GYMNASTICS seriously! 

But only goes to show how stupid the general public is. I don't think any sport builds tension like RL. 

Aye it’s an old chestnut about asking the public their opinion on stuff !  Fraught with danger ....  I like the line the tabloids trot out about ‘the people says/thinks/speaks etc’ or ‘ the nation blah blah ‘...Really the people couldn’t agree on what day it is most of the time ! There’s no more exciting or athletic sport than ours at its drama fuelled best , as ever it’s just a shame more folk aren’t as convinced or immersed as us ...but lesser sports in our eyes have far better profiles and project themselves much better than us 

7 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

This study was posted by a RU troll early this morning, as I stated then it is fundamentally flawed and has pretty low validity for a number of reasons, not just regarding RL but all the sports listed. You can pretty much dismiss this as any type of scientific data.

I would take it all with a massive pinch of salt. Those who say Athletics is the most exciting sport are folks who might just watch the Olympics every 4 years and rarely attend sporting events on a regular basis.  I'm actually surprised that RL came as close to RU as it did amongst the general population.

However, I don't think the sport should rest on it's laurels. Professionalism killed RU as a watchable sport for me. Fifteen pro athletes leaves no space on the field, and the balance of the game completely changed.  It is way worse in RU, but both codes now have too much of the smash up the middle plays, and not enough space and creative back play out wide. It seems wingers are now just becoming used as pirouetting divers at the end of a play.

20 hours ago, Tattersfieldtreiziste said:

I wonder what their sampling and research strategy entailed?

And after the researchers predictions on the last general election, Trump's chances of the presidency and whether there wold be a vote in favour of  leaving the EU, the only conclusion is that RL is definitely the greatest game in the world or that we are all doomed.

...and that some people like Mrs Brown's Boys and some others don't.

This is their latest offering.

Things must be quiet at YouGov. 

9 minutes ago, John Drake said:

...and that some people like Mrs Brown's Boys and some others don't.

This is their latest offering.

Things must be quiet at YouGov. 

Good analogy posting that John, along with Mrs Brown may I throw in Micheal McIntyre, Lee Evans and Jim Carrey films, about as funny as a damp cold Sunday out of the  RL season. 

For me, at its best Rugby League is light years ahead of any other sport in terms of excitement, at its worst I still find it watchable, which I cannot say about other sports, but there again I am biased.

What I would say about RL is while the top level can offer up games of breath-taking speed, skill and toughness it's not necessarily always the highest level that is the best to watch. I have seen some incredible games at amateur level and some (relatively) poor internationals. I cannot imagine sometimes finding amateur gymnastics or tennis being more exciting to watch than say Max Whitlock or Andy Murray. 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Ignoring the poll and associated issues I would say that at its best RL is the most exciting sport. At its worse (eg uneven games or, as can bedevil L1 games, when refs constantly stop play due to penalties) its a bit pants.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Good analogy posting that John, along with Mrs Brown may I throw in Micheal McIntyre, Lee Evans and Jim Carrey films, about as funny as a damp cold Sunday out of the  RL season. 

Jim Carrey has done a few good drama films to be fair (Eternal Sunshine, Truman Show, Man on the Moon) so that's perhaps not quite fair. Mrs brown's boys is theTV equivalent of watching a RU prop try and throw a ball sideways while staying upright

Archived