Team For Second Test

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lomax at 7, Williams at 6 and Ratchford at 1 pretty much removes the English kicking game as none of these have a long tactical kicking game.

The options for me are.

Swap Lomax and Tomkins positionally.  We may get more out of both of them playing in the position they have played more regularly for their clubs this year.  We keep the Tomkins kicking game (not great but in that 17 today it was the only option).

Bring in another half back, Myler for example and either swap out Tomkins or (my preference) move Tomkins to full back.  Tomkins can kick and both Williams and Myler have decent short kicking games.

Nothing to change in the middle forwards.  I would bring Greenwood into the 17 for O'Loughlin and play the left edge.  Shift Bateman to loose forward.  O'Loughlin isn't managing the minutes to warrant a place in the team now I'm afraid.

Hodgson wasn't great but I would keep him for game 2.  He is probably a little fortunate but seeing him stay on when Clark entered today shows that Bennett rates him.

My 17.

Tomkins

McGilvary

Gildart

Connor

Makinson

Williams

Myler

T. Burgess

Hodgson

Graham

Greenwood

Whitehead

Bateman

Clark

G. Burgess

Hill

Thompson

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

36 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I’d drop Hodgson for Clark,Tomkins to fullback and Myler in the halves,Whitehead to loose and bring in Greenwood.

That's two people who want to move the MoM. Crazy.

People called Romans they go the house

Connor is wasted in the centres in this team, Hodgson to be dropped, so poor he doesn't deserve another chance for this series, Clarke and McShane to have a go.

SOL should hopefully now be put out to pasture.

bennett is doing his usual thing of playing safe and it's boring as hell, as well as not actually taking advantage of some of our strengths, our halves were shocking and the kicking equally so.

Hodgson back to Oz never to be seen in an England shirt again would be a start. When Clarke came on his first pass from dummy half was twice the speed of any of Hodgson's the entire game. Not too dissimilar to when Roby came on in the World Cup. I'm sure Bennett is just picking him for giggles, surely he can't be that oblivious.

As an outsider, I thought:

- Sam Tomkins had a really good game at 7.

- There was absolutely nothing wrong with Jonny Lomax's game; and I'm a Stefan Ratchford fan.

- Daryl Clark should have had more game time

- George Burgess was anonymous. I'm a Liam Watts fan.

- England's x-factor lies with its wingers. The centres must concentrate on feeding them passes ... (it was like watching the Bulls where the wingers rarely see the ball till the opposition kicks it to them ?)

- Kallum Watkins would have made a big difference and is a big hole to fill. I thought Jake Connor did okay.

- That new Zealand fullback needs to cop for a few good crunching tackles  ... giving and receiving. That should shut him up.

-

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

9 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Connor is wasted in the centres in this team, Hodgson to be dropped, so poor he doesn't deserve another chance for this series, Clarke and McShane to have a go.

SOL should hopefully now be put out to pasture.

bennett is doing his usual thing of playing safe and it's boring as hell, as well as not actually taking advantage of some of our strengths, our halves were shocking and the kicking equally so.

We scored 3 tries against a really good side. Test football is not tick and pass. Our attack did what was required, so the spine was effective enough. The level of criticism being directed at the creative players makes no sense to me. 

That said, Lockers should only play if fit enough to play over half the game. It is a couple of weeks since he was key to us winning the biggest club game of the year, so “out to pasture” is an absurd stance. 

11 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

I’d like to see Tomkins play at FB.id like to see Tom Johnstone play as well but Mankinson and McGilvary both had solid games today 

If Johnstone was brought in Makinson could play FB. He was great under the high ball and his broken field running is very dangerous. Might add an extra dimension out of the back when attacking

24 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

The only change should be for O'Loughlin's injury. I'd stick Thompson at 13 and put Greenwood on the bench. 

England should be proud of that effort. They played well and look to have a fair bit of improvement in them as well. Williams and Tomkins looks quite a promising halves duo.

Don't think SOL should be near an international jersey now, he doesn't play any decent minutes at club level. Also wasn't impressed with James graham he was the least effective prop on show. As a team we defend well as you expect from a WB coached side but had little creativity. The three of Hodgson, Williams and Tomkins was slow in how they linked but the hooker was the key in that. 

11 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

I’d like to see Tomkins play at FB.id like to see Tom Johnstone play as well but Mankinson and McGilvary both had solid games today 

mcgilvary is the same thing everytime, pop up mid field, carry a few yards - that's all it is, where are the exiting pacey rubbermen like phil ford offiah and the rest- makes for boring viewing "oh here comes jerry with a 10m carry" yawn

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

28 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

The only change should be for O'Loughlin's injury. I'd stick Thompson at 13 and put Greenwood on the bench. 

England should be proud of that effort. They played well and look to have a fair bit of improvement in them as well. Williams and Tomkins looks quite a promising halves duo.

Agreed.  That’s the only change to the squad I think there will be.  Wholesale swapping and changing key roles won’t happen.

Lomax fielded the ball well, under real pressure a few times.  I would like to see him link into the line more, but overall he was ok.  

Williams, although not outstanding, seemed more comfortable than he has ever been.  Tomkins was targeted a few times and we didn’t expect anything else.  He knows what he has to do.  He can also improve on his field kicking.  He can do that too, but we need some variation in close range kicking imo.

9 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Don't think SOL should be near an international jersey now, he doesn't play any decent minutes at club level. Also wasn't impressed with James graham he was the least effective prop on show. As a team we defend well as you expect from a WB coached side but had little creativity. The three of Hodgson, Williams and Tomkins was slow in how they linked but the hooker was the key in that. 

Clarke didn’t play much different when he came on.  If I was good enough to coach at that level I think I would be more likely to base attacks around Clarke than Hodgson.  Space only presents intself fleetingly at this standard so that limits Clarke’s main asset.

12 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

mcgilvary is the same thing everytime, pop up mid field, carry a few yards - that's all it is, where are the exiting pacey rubbermen like phil ford offiah and the rest- makes for boring viewing "oh here comes jerry with a 10m carry" yawn

The sport changed in the sense nippy fast wingers probably would not be half as effective today as they were 20 years ago. Someone like Folau or Blake Ferguson is the prototype modern wing. Jerry is not thrilling but does a very good job in attack and can defend very well too. 

Archived