The Sun now banning RL indefinitely

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will anyone even notice? They had to mention results as it's the only thing they probably do publish!

All RL fans should boycott that ###### of a newspaper in response. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

15 minutes ago, Yosser said:

The cold war between the Sun and the sport shows no signs of thawing. The ban even includes publishing any results.

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news/publishing-news/2019/06/sun-boycotts-rugby-league-after-being-barred-magic-weekend

Strange they haven't banned all stories relating to football seeing as the sun is banned from Anfield for football games.

In my opinion, the game would demonstrate integrity and achieve enhanced credibility from solidarity with the people of Liverpool, and other wronged institutions from the past.

Personally, I hope there's no cave in, but rather the maintenance of higher principles.

53 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Strange they haven't banned all stories relating to football seeing as the sun is banned from Anfield for football games.

Its not really. Football is huge and such a move would harm sales. Rugby League unfortunately is small fry and its not like there is loads of coverage elsewhere for readers to switch to.

It makes not one jot of difference what forum members think about the Sun, or what it has done, or what it does, etc. It sells over 1,500,000 copies a day, and in all its forms reaches upwards of 10, 000, 000 a day. Its coverage of sports is in my view  a key reason for these high numbers. In adDitton,  the Sun reader demographic matches the rugby league fan demographic.

I'd say it was important that it covered our game so as to increase awareness in that demographic so finding out what went wrong,  who did what and what can be done to put it right.

In addition, it has to be remembered that the Sun was originally the Daily Herald, then when that failed, became Labour stalwart Robert Maxwell's Sun, before Rupert Murdoch finally rescued it from bankruptcy and obscurity,  creating many jobs in the process.

11 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It makes not one jot of difference what forum members think about the Sun, or what it has done, or what it does, etc. It sells over 1,500,000 copies a day, and in all its forms reaches upwards of 10, 000, 000 a day. Its coverage of sports is in my view  a key reason for these high numbers. In adDitton,  the Sun reader demographic matches the rugby league fan demographic.

I'd say it was important that it covered our game so as to increase awareness in that demographic so finding out what went wrong,  who did what and what can be done to put it right.

In addition, it has to be remembered that the Sun was originally the Daily Herald, then when that failed, became Labour stalwart Robert Maxwell's Sun, before Rupert Murdoch finally rescued it from bankruptcy and obscurity,  creating many jobs in the process.

No, that was the Mirror

22 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Cap'n Bob tried to buy The Sun, but failed when Murdoch promised fewer redundancies as part of his bid.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes, it’s actually an opportunity. Hopefully the powers that be can see it that way.

the sun had no intention of reporting magic all this rubbish it's not football they know they are banned from the ground full stop no football no press conferences no player interviews they were banned from the take that concert at anfield have they stopped reporting on them

if they had any interest in rugby league gary carter could have gone to the matches as a reporter accredited to the press association  or the scumbags  sister papers the times or sunday times who all  have access to anfield

2 hours ago, Yosser said:

The cold war between the Sun and the sport shows no signs of thawing. The ban even includes publishing any results.

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news/publishing-news/2019/06/sun-boycotts-rugby-league-after-being-barred-magic-weekend

Also a chance to dig back at Robert Elstone after the paper was forced to back down previously: "Super League chief executive Robert Elstone was in charge at Everton when the club banned The Sun from its Goodison Park Stadium and Finch Farm training complex because of comments Kelvin McKenzie made about the midfielder Ross Barkley in a column in 2017. The newspaper subsequently printed an apology."

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

45 minutes ago, JohnM said:

\I'd say it was important that it covered our game so as to increase awareness in that demographic so finding out what went wrong,  who did what and what can be done to put it right.

nothing went wrong scumbags banned from anfield end of story

47 minutes ago, JohnM said:

the scumbags used the ban as an excuse to stop reporting on rugby league

50 minutes ago, JohnM said:

nothing to put right  scumbags banned from anfield end of story

I never bought the Sun regularly but in the early to mid eighties I used to alternate between lots of papers to try and get some sort of "balance" which meant sometimes buying the Sun.  During this phase I even read the Sunday Sport once til I saw how little sport was in it.

Whenever, I bought the Sun during that period there was a regular feature called 20 things you didn't know that would pick a different group of people to stigmatise such as groups pf workers like prison officers, nurses, teachers, car factory workers or even ethnic groups like Asians, people from the Caribbean as well as different areas of the country like Newcastle, Glasgow, Liverpool etc.

Anyhow, it didn't seem to matter which group it was, as the 20 "facts" we didn't know almost always seemed to be the same.  This group of people were largely gay, drug addicts, alcoholics, thieves, scroungers etc etc.  So over the weeks they gradually attacked most of the people in Britain but in the next edition they claimed to be patriotic and "standing up" for Britain

Archived