What if Salford actually won the Grand Final?

This is by no means an assumption of anything, I'm aware there is an awful lot of Rugby to be played with some good teams in and around us and one truly exceptional one in Saints.

However a morning of semi day dreaming whilst working from home has had me pondering the potential implications, both for my club and the wider Super League, of such a thing and where it would stand in the list of all time sporting underdog success stories.

I understand I'm probably just inviting a lot of Salford bashing, but considering this is the first time in the best part of 4 decades that Salford even have the remotest chance of challenging I'm genuinely interested to get others take on it.

Obviously I'm fully aware that its never going to happen, but y'know, what if it did?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even now I probably wouldn't back Salford at 100/1. Salford are not certainties tomorrow night never mind in a play off game.

However if they did do it would rank alongside Leicester City without doubt. In any event Salford and Ian Watson deserve a great deal of credit and some plaudits for the last few seasons. They were within 30 seconds of relegation in 2016 and they have just gone on-wards ever since.

Daydreaming is a pleasurable way to kill an hour or so, but daydreams very rarely come true.

If Salford do make it to OT (not win the final, just get to OT!), then I will have a panic-filled 48 hours. I will have to organise return flights, a hotel room and a ticket to the game, which might prove harder than the other two.

Still, I'm not panicking yet as it's only a daydream. Pleasant, though.

Edit: I will also have to rearrange my Friday evening classes.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

9 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

If Salford won the GF I would be jolly for a thousand years. And I'm a miserable git. When Wigan win I may not even bother watching. 

Then take a trip to Antarctica... what's the point otherwise. Either you support RL or you don't. 

We’ve seen it time and time again with smaller clubs at this stage of the season. Castleford, Huddersfield and even London going back far enough were tipped to potentially win at Old Trafford.

As always it’ll be the clubs who’ve been there and done it in big games who’ll be the favourites come October. 

Salford with no experience in big games will crumble at some point on their play-off journey and that’s no disgrace. 

Well put post - I feared some Salford bashing when I saw the thread title but you've put your point forward well. Nothing wrong with dreaming big - that's what it is all about as the supporter of one of the 'smaller' clubs.

If it happened I'd think this would be the best chance we'd ever have to attract investment. We'd also be likely to pull in some stay away fans and some fresh faces on an earlier timeline than we would without a decent run in the playoffs. It would also give us some funds to help us add one or two to the squad for next season - we could still do with a little creativity/flair to balance the loss of JH.

On a personal note, it would finally eclipse the 1996 Wigan Challenge Cup win as my greatest moment as a Salford fan.

I would think Dr Koukash would have a rueful smile on his face - particularly when recalling that even his most stern critic could ever accuse him of making such an outrageous statement as that made by the St Helens owner.

Funny old game...

I would like it  if Salford actually won the Grand Final.It would make a refreshing change...and perhaps have a certain Cider firm sponsor them,afterwards.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Assume they’d have to pay a £500k bond next year to enter SL as a result of not taking enough fans to OT!!

On a serious note, it would be great!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

As a fan of the underdog I would love Salford to win it if Saints don’t, especially if it would have a knock on effect on attendances and participation in the area. Do you think it would Keev? 

I would love it too mate, initially I am quite certain that attendances would increase perhaps by as much 500-1000 on the average gate. 

If we could maintain a competitive team (i.e. one which remained in and around the playoffs and won the majority of home games) for at least a couple of seasons then that might be enough to keep hold of them. Then who know where we could go.

With regards to more participation I cant really comment with any real authority, not being involved with the amateur game for quite a long time, but i have a soon to be 3 year old little boy who is chomping at the bit to get involved as soon as he is old enough, and another one on the way in January to eventually join him.

A winning competitive Salford side would probably be enough to get some of there mates involved also I'm quite sure of that.

2 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Daydreaming is a pleasurable way to kill an hour or so, but daydreams very rarely come true.

If Salford do make it to OT (not win the final, just get to OT!), then I will have a panic-filled 48 hours. I will have to organise return flights, a hotel room and a ticket to the game, which might prove harder than the other two.

Still, I'm not panicking yet as it's only a daydream. Pleasant, though.

Edit: I will also have to rearrange my Friday evening classes.

I've got to be honest mate my biggest concern at this point would be dying of happiness the day before the final.

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

Us long standing, long suffering fans would be happy beyond measure. My problem is that I will not be able to make the final, so I will be sitting in a bar in Marbella wishing that I was somewhere else.

I would point the finger for bad planning, but in all seriousness who could have predicted that we would be in with a sniff.

I actually changed our initial wedding date 5 years ago because it fell on Challenge Cup final day.

It seems I was a bit of a dreamer even back then really mate.

2 hours ago, LR23 said:

Well put post - I feared some Salford bashing when I saw the thread title but you've put your point forward well. Nothing wrong with dreaming big - that's what it is all about as the supporter of one of the 'smaller' clubs.

If it happened I'd think this would be the best chance we'd ever have to attract investment. We'd also be likely to pull in some stay away fans and some fresh faces on an earlier timeline than we would without a decent run in the playoffs. It would also give us some funds to help us add one or two to the squad for next season - we could still do with a little creativity/flair to balance the loss of JH.

On a personal note, it would finally eclipse the 1996 Wigan Challenge Cup win as my greatest moment as a Salford fan.

Yeah perhaps one more decent half back form the NRL would be nice.

They are capable, if they can bring their big game to each of the remaining fixtures. I don't think they will, but it would be amazing if they did, or even just got to Old Trafford.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Big Red Keev said:

I would love it too mate, initially I am quite certain that attendances would increase perhaps by as much 500-1000 on the average gate. 

If we could maintain a competitive team (i.e. one which remained in and around the playoffs and won the majority of home games) for at least a couple of seasons then that might be enough to keep hold of them. Then who know where we could go.

With regards to more participation I cant really comment with any real authority, not being involved with the amateur game for quite a long time, but i have a soon to be 3 year old little boy who is chomping at the bit to get involved as soon as he is old enough, and another one on the way in January to eventually join him.

A winning competitive Salford side would probably be enough to get some of there mates involved also I'm quite sure of that.

I guess it would certainly get them back in the minds of the Salford public. 

Hope your boys enjoy playing the game. Living in Norfolk my 5 year old has started playing Union as there are no League teams in the county, I’d love it if there were but we’ll have to make do. 

32 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Hope your boys enjoy playing the game. Living in Norfolk my 5 year old has started playing Union as there are no League teams in the county, I’d love it if there were but we’ll have to make do. 

I would rather lock my children in the cellar with starving wolves rather than encourage them to play ru

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

What if Salford actually won the Grand Final....Dr. K will say it was all down to him and then promptly ask for his loans that he wrote off back.

Cynical humor aside you earned your place and honestly have no pressure from expectations. Would be a great story and just add excitement to the top flight. Leeds were in a relegation battle until the last few weeks and Salford are strong candidates for the title...crazy thing is it's fact not fiction.

wish ya all the best!

Only in my wildest dream do I see Salford get to the final.

I think it would be great to see a new name on the trophy.

What would be the long term impact on Salford ? may inject a short term interest but not sure it would see a long term boost to crowds.

Archived