coronavirus

6 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Ah, dont worry hr man, you can still work from home, I'm afraid. For us unemployed, it's just another day.

My mate in Madrid, by day 5 of the full lockdown he had trimmed his hair with a beard trimmer

That is the misshape of things to come

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ckn said:

I think it will be clarified as they go.

Maybe they expect to keep the coffers filling by fining folk. They could make millions each day by standing in front of City firms where the Partners think their law/accountancy firms make them "key workers", £5k a pop billed directly to the firm.

Sports direct are staying open.  Apparently.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

24 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I think (only think) that driving is safe. But, it is hard to trust that people are really going to stay in the car and not meet up with people. The rules have to be easy to police too.

Last week, I drove to forests and emjoyed splendid isolation. But, were I stopped on the road, coudl they believe my claim? Safer to make m ehave to justify why I was out at all.

Its about non essential journeys, being in the car in and of itself isn't going to Spread the virus, but, what if you break down, what if you have an accident.

Just stay in unless you have to.

43 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

John Ashworth (a reasonable Labour MP thus excluded from ever being its leader) is raising the question about whether the curfew applies to the construction industry. Unless I hear anything different, I'm going to Barnsley tomorrow.

Official answer. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'm sure there will be things put in place for the self employed. Should have been done earlier and given higher priority, of course.  However, the number of initiatives already taken in a very short period of time is huge and it'll take a huge admin exercise to get all of those up and running. 

I thought they might have introduced help for self employed today but the new isolation rules etc have  had to be brought in.

Maybe tomorrow.

Meanwhile, https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1259212/Universal-Credit-for-self-employed-how-to-claim-Universal-Credit-when-self-employed-uk

Plus this

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses

Income Tax

For Income Tax Self-Assessment, payments due on the 31 July 2020 will be deferred until the 31 January 2021.

If you are self-employed you are eligible.

All businesses and self-employed people in financial distress, and with outstanding tax liabilities, may be eligible to receive support with their tax affairs through HMRC’s Time To Pay service.

These arrangements are agreed on a case-by-case basis and are tailored to individual circumstances and liabilities.

You are eligible if your business pays tax to the UK government and has outstanding tax liabilities

a but more here, too. https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/11234644/coronavirus-self-employed-get-help-wages-bills/

Text from a post from my Dad on Facebook. Some people are going to suffer here more than others. 

It is with heavy heart that we have closed the Pontefract Food Bank immediately. Following the guidance of no more than two gathering we would be unable to operate. We will keep the situation under review but as Trustees we have responsibilities to clients and volunteers to operate safely.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Got my NHS text today...3 months chokey for me now! Was actualy waiting for my pre chemo assessment and scan result when I got it. St Barts hospital and surrounding area was well weird...I was waiting for the plague pits to burst into life again!! On the plus side my scan result was "brilliant" according to my consultant and have now had my chemo suspended for a couple of months!

7 hours ago, Johnoco said:

But sadly, school photos did. I try to pretend I was looking for a Johnny Ramone look but was really my mums bowl. 

You tell the kids today that and do they believe you? 

? that's a whole new thread of its own 

"school photos of the 70s"

I've got some belters 

I completed a 7 day cycle of self isolation after developing a dry cough.  I have no idea if I actually had the virus or not as following the guidelines I kept away from contact with Health professionals.

My symptoms developed into a tightening of the chest so I waited 9 days for all to clear before breaking my curfew for a much needed shop.  I did this late in the evening and managed to purchase enough food for nutritious meals to last a week and observed the social distancing.

Yesterday, late afternoon, I acted on a hunch that it would be a good time to shop for my elderly father who is living with my sister who is also self isolating for the initial 12 week recommended period.  Going across two supermarkets, I managed to pick up their full shopping list including toilet roll.  I even snuck in a few treats for them to make the time pass more easily.

Being able to do this for them regularly is now my biggest fear and I would welcome a systematic process for people like myself so I am not at the mercy of the law as to whether I am outside in the car for kicks or trying to do the right thing.  At the moment there is a long backlog for home delivery slots for their local supermarkets.

Anyone else in the same boat?

8 hours ago, ckn said:

Here's the specific guidance.

Including:

"hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campsites, caravan parks, and boarding houses for commercial/leisure use (excluding permanent residents and key workers)."

So I guess folk will be turfed out in the morning whether they have anywhere to go or not.

There are a lot of "holiday parks" around here with 51 week a year 'seasons'. A few years ago, Rother Council forgot that it was meant to be turning a blind eye and started looking into whether the people there should be paying council tax. The rule of the camp is that it's not your main residence but, well, y'know ... 

After a bit of a kerfuffle, the local councils went back to pretending that the people there weren't there all the time and that they must have a main home somewhere else.

Now, if these places are closing ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Gray1967 said:

Got my NHS text today...3 months chokey for me now! Was actualy waiting for my pre chemo assessment and scan result when I got it. St Barts hospital and surrounding area was well weird...I was waiting for the plague pits to burst into life again!! On the plus side my scan result was "brilliant" according to my consultant and have now had my chemo suspended for a couple of months!

That is a very definite plus. All the best and stay safe.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This morning. Groups of kids already out in the park.

Another group of blokes all congregating outside of the paper shop.

A shop that should be closed.... isn't.... or isn't yet.

This is why I have little faith in these measures being adhered to.

large swathes of the populous have an entirely different mindset to those in spain etc. Tell some Brits what to do and they will do just the opposite..... just cos they can. Not enough police to sort this. Nowhere near enough. 

Just now, Robin Evans said:

large swathes of the populous have an entirely different mindset to those in spain etc. Tell some Brits what to do and they will do just the opposite..... just cos they can. Not enough police to sort this. Nowhere near enough. 

I've seen it written that corner shops can stay open?

The rest ... *waves arms in general imitation of stupidity*

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Groups of kids at 7am in the morning! Im amazed. Any kid I know has to be practically kicked out of bed if they are to be up before 10am.

Kids who live with separated parents are to stay with the one they are currently at. 

I assume many families will make the decision that they won't adhere to that. If we are able to still speak to a different checkout worker a couple of times a week I expect it will be a risk worth taking for parents. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Kids who live with separated parents are to stay with the one they are currently at. 

Gove has just admitted he was wrong on that. There is an exception for separated children under 18.

41 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

The police can’t do anything yet except advise you to go home.  No law yet passed to give them any powers.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Gove has just admitted he was wrong on that. There is an exception for separated children under 18.

Outstanding communication yet again. 

I have a FB friend with mental health challenges and he is already in free fall over this advice that Hove got wrong. 

Archived