Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Thu 30 Jan: SL: Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Wigan Warriors
      34
    • Warrington Wolves
      22

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/01/20 at 19:45

Recommended Posts

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

I'll take your local knowledge on board and then ask... why on earth was he selected.   Not least it hardly helps the player, because it's not his fault he is injured.  If (if... ) he has had a long term injury then his agent have covered it up well.

I have no idea mate. I've seen him knocking around quite a bit, and he just isn't giving off any positive vibes.

If I was picking the team, he wouldn't have been in it tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wollongong said:

One more observation why are Wigan not penalised for feeding the scrum with one hand... the rules are clear on this

Put-in or Feeding the Scrum 6. (a) The ball shall be put into the scrum from the Referee’s side by holding it in a horizontal position with a point in each hand and rolling it along the ground into the tunnel formed by the opposing front row forwards.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a funny starter. Plenty of what we've been missing  during the dark off season of the soul and really the sending offs were the difference. The wolves deserved a bit more from that one and I think 13 v 13 would've seen them win.

 

Edited by Oxford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I'll take your local knowledge on board and then ask... why on earth was he selected.   Not least it hardly helps the player, because it's not his fault he is injured.  If (if... ) he has had a long term injury then his agent have covered it up well.

It's been well publicised in Australia that Burgess has struggled with a long standing hip problem,it obviously hasn't improved with his long enforced break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great game for the neutral fan

PTB must be kept clean and Kendall wasn’t strong enough to make this happen.

Hill was unlucky as it was a desperate last ditch tackle however Red is correct and sending off sufficient for me.

Cooper very unlucky with a yellow, we will see it again this year and no card will be given 

can’t be bothered on a ref bash as he was rustier than half of the players on the pitch last night.

 

offloads and cheeky short drop outs from the Wire make me think they’ve got plenty of tricks this season rather than 5 drives and a kick. 
 

 

proud of the lads effort 

Edited by 1976PMJwires

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After some initial frustration with no new play the ball enforcement, I really enjoyed the game.

Looks like Wigan are going to throw the ball around a lot more this year which is good to see while Wire have loads of attacking threats and Widdop to come back into the side as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Crowd?

15 040.

On TV, it looked like a pretty good atmosphere too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JonM said:

15 040.

On TV, it looked like a pretty good atmosphere too.

Made me chuckle that Wire fans were taking an awful lot of stick on social media yesterday as they announced that they had sold over 2k by yesterday morning. Obviously the simpletons didn't really consider that many more will pay on the night. I thought there looked to be a decent following and the crowd was not bad at all for a Thursday night. The atmosphere sounded decent. 

Would love to see these games getting back to pushing 20k though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite the messy PTBs it didn’t really seem to slow the game down like usual, unless that’s just my perception as I haven’t seen a game for a few months.

Seemed to flow and that made it more entertaining.   Kendall of course made some bloopers but he’s rusty like the players and even some of us fans.

The most entertaining season-opening match I can remember for a few years anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It can be a panic or desperate reaction, like Shaun Edwards on Bradley Clyde. You see an opposition player going through a gap, and you try and glom onto him any way you can.

One for the kids there. 😉


"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

After some initial frustration with no new play the ball enforcement, I really enjoyed the game.

Agreed . It was frustrating after a flagship rule change most applauded and was well publicised , that it was completely ignored and played 2019 style . But I’m sure an email will quickly go round the officials . After that bugbear it was a rip roaring opener , full on and no easing in . Strangely , it seemed Wire took more out of it generally and it came across a bit in the interviews. But Wigan got the points which ultimately is all that matters and will move on

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Made me chuckle that Wire fans were taking an awful lot of stick on social media yesterday as they announced that they had sold over 2k by yesterday morning. Obviously the simpletons didn't really consider that many more will pay on the night. I thought there looked to be a decent following and the crowd was not bad at all for a Thursday night. The atmosphere sounded decent. 

Would love to see these games getting back to pushing 20k though.

I genuinelly feel for the first time in a long time there's actually a buzz about the Super League season.

I was a bit disappointed that it was given as 15k. Warrington traveled in decent numbers. 

Surely that type of game should be tipping a minimum of 17k (even during the week)


2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exciting build up with some improved graphics and presence on social media.

All good until kick off when It was the same old commentary and having to listen to the ref shout MOOOOOVE every few seconds.

That side of it really needs sorting out......I tend to watch sky games with the sound off.

Maybe it's just my taste.......I don't mind the NRL commentary and it's always the same guys doing that...... although they don't have MOOOVE every few seconds

Decent game....... Think WIRE would have won with 13 but can't argue with the red.


england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Surely that type of game should be tipping a minimum of 17k (even during the week)

The game finished at quarter to ten. The days when a 7:30 KO would be finished a couple of minutes after 9 are long gone. You pretty much have to sit in a queue of traffic to get away from the DW Stadium. Not many people are going to take kids to a Thursday night game in term-time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dkw said:

That's a shocking decision, how is that a charge down ha ha... 

Because the ball was rising from the kicker’s foot, the law is very clear 

  • Like 1

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I'll take your local knowledge on board and then ask... why on earth was he selected.   Not least it hardly helps the player, because it's not his fault he is injured.  If (if... ) he has had a long term injury then his agent have covered it up well.

As it's been common knowledge that he's been carrying a injury for a while and South's were happy to let him go it looks like Wigan in their urgency to sign a big name have been taken for a ride.

You would think that a little investigation would have gone into the signing but maybe after the Edwards fiasco they like the feel of egg on their face and revell in being a laughing stock.

File them under Aunt Sally's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JonM said:

15 040.

On TV, it looked like a pretty good atmosphere too.

 

3 hours ago, aj1908 said:

good start to the season. 

 

2 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

I genuinelly feel for the first time in a long time there's actually a buzz about the Super League season.

I was a bit disappointed that it was given as 15k. Warrington traveled in decent numbers. 

Surely that type of game should be tipping a minimum of 17k (even during the week)

Last year, Wigan averaged just over 11k at the DW. Their 2nd highest gate was Warrington at 12,555 (after the 22k for the Saints game). For their home season opener last year they got 11,032.

This was a really good improvement.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Last year, Wigan averaged just over 11k at the DW. Their 2nd highest gate was Warrington at 12,555 (after the 22k for the Saints game). For their home season opener last year they got 11,032.

This was a really good improvement.

I was impressed with 15k for a Thursday game, decent start!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Made me chuckle that Wire fans were taking an awful lot of stick on social media yesterday as they announced that they had sold over 2k by yesterday morning. Obviously the simpletons didn't really consider that many more will pay on the night. I thought there looked to be a decent following and the crowd was not bad at all for a Thursday night. The atmosphere sounded decent. 

Would love to see these games getting back to pushing 20k though.

could have done with wigan doing some promotion, for the ###### that warrington and fitzpatrick got for the 'bad blood' presser (which had zero bad blood during it) you'd be a fool to deny that it probably got some ppl off their sofas to attend. 

 

It did make it feel like a proper event was happening.

Some RL fans need to see the bigger picture.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil said:

Because the ball was rising from the kicker’s foot, the law is very clear 

When was the last time something like that was given as a charge down? I honestly cant remember it not being a knock in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

One for the kids there. 😉

I know my audience.

  • Haha 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 1976PMJwires said:

Great game for the neutral fan

PTB must be kept clean and Kendall wasn’t strong enough to make this happen.

Hill was unlucky as it was a desperate last ditch tackle however Red is correct and sending off sufficient for me.

Cooper very unlucky with a yellow, we will see it again this year and no card will be given 

can’t be bothered on a ref bash as he was rustier than half of the players on the pitch last night.

 

offloads and cheeky short drop outs from the Wire make me think they’ve got plenty of tricks this season rather than 5 drives and a kick. 
 

 

proud of the lads effort 

Behave, neither were unlucky with their cards.

Hill wasn't wrong footed by a player changing direction, and whether he intended to hit him round the head or not he still did. It was a swinging arm that made direct contact with the head, resulting in an injury that forced a player from the field for the rest of the game. He should get 2-3 games for it.

As for Cooper, that was a pretty cynical professional foul to prevent a player from scoring. He hadn't committed to the tackle before the kick through and had plenty of time to pull out.

Wire had a few 50/50 calls go against them but the 2 cards were 100% correct.

  • Like 1

Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, dkw said:

When was the last time something like that was given as a charge down? I honestly cant remember it not being a knock in.

Refs get slated for applying the laws and for not applying the laws suppose it depends which team you’re backing 

  • Like 1

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...