Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Whippet13

New Super League Sponsor

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

What is wrong with that? Lots of nonsense talked about McDs by some people who should know better. There's more nutritional information available on McDs stuff than on all the Manoir de Quatre Seasons type eateries put together. That's why there is so much full about the drive to put calorie counts on restaurant menus. People are happy to neck pints of calorie rich beer but sneer at pizzas. 

I’m exempt because I don’t know better 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

This is where we are now as a sport commercially - signing sponsorship contracts in exchange for a few microwaved pizzas in contra...

 

Jeez... 🙄

Suppliers give us stuff in return for us putting their name in a few places. 

Nowt new or to be sneered at there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dave T said:

Suppliers give us stuff in return for us putting their name in a few places. 

Nowt new or to be sneered at there. 

 

...and right there's our problem

 

If you don't value yourself, others don't value you. Future deals get driven down, it's a market signal. That Stobart deal was criminal. 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

 

...and right there's our problem

 

If you don't value yourself, others don't value you. Future deals get driven down, it's a market signal. That Stobart deal was criminal. 

 

 

 

Some nice soundbites there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

As previously posted, pizza in the dressing room is the standard post-match meal for pro RL players and has been for a good couple of years.

Other than a post on a fan message board, is there an actual source to this? I'm highly skeptical of this, as in the past 10-20 years there has been an emphasis on players' diets both in-season and off season across all sports, with many clubs having staff to plan and monitor their players diets.

https://www.menshealth.com.au/nrl-player-diet

https://www.zerotackle.com/nrl-players-eat-game-day-28191/#:~:text=2020 NRL Ladder %26nbsp%3B , 8 12 more rows

https://www.sportsdietitians.com.au/factsheets/food-for-your-sport/food-for-your-sport-rugby-league/

https://coach.nine.com.au/diet/how-to-eat-like-an-nrl-player/0fcd2fed-de14-40d9-8137-cbd52783f7a6

But I guess if the Super League clubs are okay with their players eating pizza with a few beers after each game, if wouldn't be the most surprising thing, since rugby league administration in England tend to have an amateur mindset when it comes to running a sport compared to their NRL counterparts and officials in other sports as well.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, emesssea said:

 

Other than a post on a fan message board, is there an actual source to this? I'm highly skeptical of this, as in the past 10-20 years there has been an emphasis on players' diets both in-season and off season across all sports, with many clubs having staff to plan and monitor their players diets.

https://www.menshealth.com.au/nrl-player-diet

https://www.zerotackle.com/nrl-players-eat-game-day-28191/#:~:text=2020 NRL Ladder %26nbsp%3B , 8 12 more rows

https://www.sportsdietitians.com.au/factsheets/food-for-your-sport/food-for-your-sport-rugby-league/

https://coach.nine.com.au/diet/how-to-eat-like-an-nrl-player/0fcd2fed-de14-40d9-8137-cbd52783f7a6

But I guess if the Super League clubs are okay with their players eating pizza with a few beers after each game, if wouldn't be the most surprising thing, since rugby league administration in England tend to have an amateur mindset when it comes to running a sport compared to their NRL counterparts and officials in other sports as well.

They may supply healthy pizzas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, emesssea said:

 

Other than a post on a fan message board, is there an actual source to this? I'm highly skeptical of this, as in the past 10-20 years there has been an emphasis on players' diets both in-season and off season across all sports, with many clubs having staff to plan and monitor their players diets.

https://www.menshealth.com.au/nrl-player-diet

https://www.zerotackle.com/nrl-players-eat-game-day-28191/#:~:text=2020 NRL Ladder %26nbsp%3B , 8 12 more rows

https://www.sportsdietitians.com.au/factsheets/food-for-your-sport/food-for-your-sport-rugby-league/

https://coach.nine.com.au/diet/how-to-eat-like-an-nrl-player/0fcd2fed-de14-40d9-8137-cbd52783f7a6

But I guess if the Super League clubs are okay with their players eating pizza with a few beers after each game, if wouldn't be the most surprising thing, since rugby league administration in England tend to have an amateur mindset when it comes to running a sport compared to their NRL counterparts and officials in other sports as well.

Aside from my own first hand experience, see the below quote from Chris Hill as posted HERE.

Quote

 

There are usually a couple of pizza boxes in the changing rooms after a game, why is that?

“The day after a game – we just eat to get as many calories back into us. There are a few lads who eat directly after a game but I can’t eat until about three or four hours after the game has finished because I feel sick.”

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, emesssea said:

I agree on all that, nothing wrong with a league being sponsored and endorsing certain objects, just doubt their players will be enjoy pizza after every game. I've always found it humorous during the post-game press conferences you see soda bottles placed in front of the players for sponsorship reasons or is NASCARs case placed on top of the car, regardless of their soda drinking habit I doubt thats the last thing they'd want to drink right after a game/race.

Footballers used to have pizza after a game.

It was banned at old trafford after the arsenal players (or player) threw a piece at Sir Alex..

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/08/2020 at 15:29, Leyther_Matt said:

Seems a perfectly reasonable contra-deal to me, particularly with the costs (and Covid restrictions?) involved for catering for the players involved in the double-headers and the like.

Also worth mentioning that pizzas are very much recommended by sports nutritionists and is virtually ubiquitous in professional RL and football. The idea is to replace quickly replace fat that has been burned during the game or the body will 'crash' and next day recovery will be severely hampered.

Aye. Loads of rugby players come into the italian where I work either the day before or after a game for a spaghetti carbonara with extra chicken. Its all about making up lost calories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Some nice soundbites there.

Really? Thought this was a discussion forum. You know, using words. They’re not sound bites, it makes a clear point. Feel free to disagree, I’m wrong as often as right, but no need to be a wazzock about it mate 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Really? Thought this was a discussion forum. You know, using words. They’re not sound bites, it makes a clear point. Feel free to disagree, I’m wrong as often as right, but no need to be a wazzock about it mate 

They are soundbites in that there is no substance behind them. Just saying we should get paid more won't make that happen. 

But in any case, a supplier of a service that you need giving you stuff for free is a good thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

They are soundbites in that there is no substance behind them. Just saying we should get paid more won't make that happen. 

But in any case, a supplier of a service that you need giving you stuff for free is a good thing. 

Retcon in action

 

The substance is this: Accepting a price (in this case free or contra) is a market signal, in that it helps set the future price for the same good or service or the price of something similar you may wish to sell. It’s how markets work. Sometimes it is better to not sell something for a low price because of that damage to future opportunity, especially if the value received is marginal. I’d suggest free bloody pizzas for players is of marginal benefit. That’s not a sound bite.
 

You disagree, but played the man not the ball. Like I said, really? 🙄

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam Burgess loved a KFC bucket after a game.

 


Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Retcon in action

 

The substance is this: Accepting a price (in this case free or contra) is a market signal, in that it helps set the future price for the same good or service or the price of something similar you may wish to sell. It’s how markets work. Sometimes it is better to not sell something for a low price because of that damage to future opportunity, especially if the value received is marginal. I’d suggest free bloody pizzas for players is of marginal benefit. That’s not a sound bite.
 

You disagree, but played the man not the ball. Like I said, really? 🙄

 

 

No, I didn't say a single thing about you. I critiqued your post. The actual words you typed. 

You on the other hand resorted to name calling. 

I'll leave it there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yipyee said:

Footballers used to have pizza after a game.

It was banned at old trafford after the arsenal players (or player) threw a piece at Sir Alex..

You're a day and a half late , I posted ' pizzagate ' yesterday 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, yipyee said:

Footballers used to have pizza after a game.

It was banned at old trafford after the arsenal players (or player) threw a piece at Sir Alex..

knowing Arsenal, I can only assume they missed!


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Aside from my own first hand experience, see the below quote from Chris Hill as posted HERE.

 

I found it humorous how in three sentences he contradicts himself:

1. Eating pizza is way to build up calories

2. Very next answer he says pizza is a cheat meal

3. Talks about sacrifices they make for their diet, if that sacrifice is eating pizza 25+ times a year sign me up

 

Again, if this one interview is indicative of Super League's overall view on athletes' diets, well I guess its not much of a surprise that they are years behind another off the field aspect of a sporting competition or maybe they're just focused the national team:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/08/2020 at 22:30, Dave T said:

No, I didn't say a single thing about you. I critiqued your post. The actual words you typed. 

You on the other hand resorted to name calling. 

I'll leave it there. 


Best you do. When you’re in a hole and all that eh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pizza gig already exists in RL. These lads will have just come off a week of intense diet and training, giving them a pizza straight after the game is perfect timing and strategy as it adds the calories fast and takes away or mitigates the "I really fancy a pizza/kebab" feeling that might suddenly pop up mid-week when players will be back on a strict diet.

McDonalds is a major recurring sponsor of the FIFA soccer WC and the Olympics, the world's biggest sports events. Fast food is a massive factor in modern life and there is no point being outraged about it sponsoring RL as it will just go elsewhere. We should figure out how to use it to motivate kids into our sport as other sports are doing. RL is well behind  a lot of our competitors in this regard.

Ask any young kid you know, would you like to play rugby and then go for a pizza or would you prefer to play any sport and have a healthy green salad? I bet the majority will opt for rugby and pizza.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super League will not receive a penny from their sponsorship deal with Papa John’s. The competition will receive plenty of pizza, with players and matchday...

View the full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confirmed in the latest League Express that Pappa John's are paying nothing except Pizza.

As someone else said to me, the one sector of advertising that is thriving at the moment is food delivery. 

  • Sad 1

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...