What are your favourite stadiums ever?

I'm interested to find out which stadiums fans have particularly enjoyed visiting over the years and which they have great memories of.

So which are your favourite stadiums currently and/or historically? Feel free to pick any stadium you've seen rugby league played at even if it's just one game.

Just one rule to make it more interesting: you can't choose your own team's current or old stadium. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to enjoy visiting Lawkholme Lane/Cougar Park when Keighley and Huddersfield had a big rivalry in the 90s.

Packed out, with a great atmosphere and usually some cracking games between the 2 teams, it never really got nasty but there was a real feel to the atmosphere.

Shame Keighley got shafted and the rivalry died down.

I also like Gilbert Brutus, it has a good feel to it, and a nice mix of old and new, and it's a cracking weekend in Perpignan!

As much as it's a complete dump now, some of my favourite away days have been at Wheldon Road. So few stadia allow you to get that close to the pitch these days and somehow it always seems noisier than it perhaps is. I'd still flatten it in a heartbeat but in the meantime it's a nice reminder of the days when I first started following RL and all clubs offered that sort of 'experience' in their own unique way.

Special mention to the Halliwell Jones too. Not so much for the stadium itself (it's a bit meh) but Saints have a great record there and the (many) comeback wins there are some very fond memories with superb atmospheres.

There’s something special about watching a game from the hill with a couple of tins in one of the older Aussie grounds - Brookie and Kogorah stand out the most I think 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I used to walk my dog 3 miles to Station Road, and she would sit on the north east terrace, corner of Townsend Road & Pendlebury Road, watching Swinton, then we would walk back home afterwards. She was aware if we won or lost because of her attitude on the way home.

Cougar Park early 90s when we were going hammer n tongs with them . I liked Spotland , good Rochdale side then . Going to Watersheddings on New Year’s Day or around then made me realise exactly what Shackleton went through 

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Cougar Park early 90s when we were going hammer n tongs with them . I liked Spotland , good Rochdale side then . Going to Watersheddings on New Year’s Day or around then made me realise exactly what Shackleton went through 

Id agree with Cougar Park, used to love going there. Also agree on Watersheddings, the coldest place on earth, bar none.

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Colder than the north pole pal, much much colder....

I was at dewsbury on the opening game of the season one Sunday night. It was several degrees below and it snowed/sleet down for most of the game.

At the final hooter the players proper legged it back up the tunnel. That was the coldest I've ever been at a game and that includes winter games at both Hull grounds of Old.

With the exception of Dewsbury (which I enjoy going back to), none of the 'flatpack', characterless new grounds!

Of the old ones, I had/have soft spots for Central Park (when packed, nothing like it), Craven Park, Barrow (warts and all, a cracking little set-up), Knowsley Road (fond memories, during Liverpool student days, of watching Meninga outclass the opposition), Fartown (always a sense of occasion, even when crowds dropped to a few hundred), Lawkholme Lane (great fun during Cougarmania), Mount Pleasant (a very good example of how an existing ground can be modernised), Station Road (faded grandeur), Thrum Hall (brimming with interesting features), Victory Park (such a shame Chorley never really 'got' rugby league), Watersheddings (a lovable dump), Wigginton Road (tight and atmospheric) and Wilderspool (another regular student days haunt, when Boyd, Tamati and Rathbone guaranteed entertainment - of one sort or another!).

Archived